NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

bob_wooler wrote:
Ross wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:They always said 18 hours, never 18 parts.. Or am I totally wrong?
They have actually said an 18 hour movie.
Exactly, and because of that everyone automatically presumes it's also 18 parts (episodes).
They've said we're getting two hours on 5/21, two hours on 5/28, and two hours on 9/03. That leaves 12 remaining hours and 13 remaining weeks.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

The Criterion FWWM will include the new David Lynch Art Life documentary so I'll buy it just for that, but it's a bit of a strange choice given there's nothing else they can feasibly offer that we don't already have.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:
Ross wrote: They have actually said an 18 hour movie.
Exactly, and because of that everyone automatically presumes it's also 18 parts (episodes).
They've said we're getting two hours on 5/21, two hours on 5/28, and two hours on 9/03. That leaves 12 remaining hours and 13 remaining weeks.
Guys, I know we're getting 18 hours, I only wanted to point out that we're not getting 18 "episodes"/parts. That's all.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Two hours/one part on the 21st, two hours/TWO parts on the 28th, and two hours/one part on Sep 3rd. Right?
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

bob_wooler wrote:Two hours/one part on the 21st, two hours/TWO parts on the 28th, and two hours/one part on Sep 3rd. Right?
Two hours, two parts, 21, 28 and September 3.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Yes. Right. Three two hour part releases and everything in between with an apparent day off and a scheduling change. Nothing new for Twin Peaks. It's like the 90s all over again except at least they have creative control and finished it before it was released and set a schedule so a network couldn't ruin it.

Maybe. Heh.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Mordeen wrote:Yes. Right. Three two hour part releases and everything in between with an apparent day off and a scheduling change. Nothing new for Twin Peaks. It's like the 90s all over again except at least they have creative control and finished it before it was released and set a schedule so a network couldn't ruin it.

Maybe. Heh.

-Mordeen
Kind of bugs me that they'll move it to 8pm tho. 9pm is usually the "prime" slot.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Major Briggs wrote:
Mordeen wrote:Yes. Right. Three two hour part releases and everything in between with an apparent day off and a scheduling change. Nothing new for Twin Peaks. It's like the 90s all over again except at least they have creative control and finished it before it was released and set a schedule so a network couldn't ruin it.

Maybe. Heh.

-Mordeen
Kind of bugs me that they'll move it to 8pm tho. 9pm is usually the "prime" slot.
Game of Thrones is a mammoth and will hit a lot of the same demos, so, it makes sense to me. Plus, an hour earlier is better than an hour later!

Also, what's this I Love Lucy draft of FWWM?

Also, the curtains look neat. Wouldn't be shocked if they use digital set extensions in the Red Room to give an endless feel that wouldn't have been logistically feasible on the originals.

Not too crazy about the colour grading or lack thereof on Fat Trout. That's what really looks unfinished to me (like a camera set to tungsten colour temp shooting daylight). RR's red feels FWWM-ish (and they could've just desaturated the blue if they felt they made a mistake .. it always felt a bit garish to me, Norma and Shelly need to hire a designer, yeesh!)

Also, feels super odd to see modern cars in Twin Peaks haha.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Ross wrote:
underthefan wrote:Meanwhile, there is a rumor online that FWWM is getting a Criterion release...

https://twitter.com/DeusExCinema/status ... 2848728066
I'll buy it if it fixes some of the color grading issues.
What's wrong with the color timing? It came from a new scan and looks beautiful compared to the international releases.

Metamorphia wrote:The Criterion FWWM will include the new David Lynch Art Life documentary so I'll buy it just for that, but it's a bit of a strange choice given there's nothing else they can feasibly offer that we don't already have.
We don't know how the documentary is going to be released, this hasn't been confirmed.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Ross wrote:
underthefan wrote:Meanwhile, there is a rumor online that FWWM is getting a Criterion release...

What's wrong with the color timing? It came from a new scan and looks beautiful compared to the international releases.
If you've seen the film recently on 35mm, you'll be able to tell the difference clearly. The blu ray is overexposed and washed out, and does not represent how the film actually looks. Here is from bluray.com review (the best resource for blu rays online):

Fire Walk with Me delivers a decidedly decent 1080p/AVC-encoded presentation as well, albeit one that isn't as attractive or proficiently remastered as the series' image. Contrast and clarity are generally pleasing, even though skintones are a tad washed out and primaries are as brilliant as they could be. Black levels are strong nonetheless, shadows are absorbing and detail is exacting. (Much more so than it is in the French MK2 Blu-ray release.) Edge definition is, for the most part, precise, textures follow suit, and grain is mostly intact. There are several scenes in which the film takes on a mildly over-processed appearance -- note the shots at the beginning of Chapter 4 for starters, when Agents Desmond and Stanley arrive at the Deer Meadow Sheriff station -- but insofar as noise reduction is concerned, it hasn't been utilized in too egregious a manner; at least not one that produces any serious smearing or negative side effects. There also aren't any encoding issues, save a hint of artifacting and noise that sneaks into some darker shots. It definitely isn't as much of a revelation as the series' remaster and resurrection -- or a product of the tender loving care afforded the show -- but it still delivers and bests everything release that's come before it, domestic or intentional.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Ross wrote:

Metamorphia wrote:The Criterion FWWM will include the new David Lynch Art Life documentary so I'll buy it just for that, but it's a bit of a strange choice given there's nothing else they can feasibly offer that we don't already have.
We don't know how the documentary is going to be released, this hasn't been confirmed.
The film rights are going to revert to Janus Films, and Janus Films also has the rights to the documentary. Still just a conjecture.
Last edited by underthefan on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:What's wrong with the color timing? It came from a new scan and looks beautiful compared to the international releases.
Well, it's much different than it was in theaters, so if you're a purist or stickler for that, then it's pretty off. Obviously they chose to change it for the blu set and skew away from green to a much warmer red look to more closely match the coral look of the series. Honestly, for a lot of it I actually like it more, even though it's inaccurate. But sometimes it's for the worse. The worst being, as I mentioned above, the shot of possessed Laura at Harolds. The loss of the yellow teeth robs that shot of some of its power. Also the final sequences in the Lodge become too pink, and are very dull without contrast.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Major Briggs wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Two hours/one part on the 21st, two hours/TWO parts on the 28th, and two hours/one part on Sep 3rd. Right?
Two hours, two parts, 21, 28 and September 3.
I see, so that makes 18 hours/18 parts/15 "episodes"? :lol:
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Glad to see Season 3 will continue the Twin Peaks numerical confusion. That's part of the shows allure! :lol:
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Ross wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:What's wrong with the color timing? It came from a new scan and looks beautiful compared to the international releases.
Well, it's much different than it was in theaters, so if you're a purist or stickler for that, then it's pretty off. Obviously they chose to change it for the blu set and skew away from green to a much warmer red look to more closely match the coral look of the series. Honestly, for a lot of it I actually like it more, even though it's inaccurate. But sometimes it's for the worse. The worst being, as I mentioned above, the shot of possessed Laura at Harolds. The loss of the yellow teeth robs that shot of some of its power. Also the final sequences in the Lodge become too pink, and are very dull without contrast.
It was green in theaters? I've never seen a 35mm print but that doesn't sound right at all considering the DP who worked on it. I think one of the international releases is green and that to me is the one that looks off.