NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Does anyone speak French here and know what Monica Bellucci is saying about Twin Peaks?

https://twitter.com/GrosJournal/status/ ... 2498105344
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Panapaok wrote:Hmm, that will certainly cause problems to many projects. Mark Frost is probably a member of the WGA too. At this point, I'd guess that post-production on Twin Peaks is mostly focused on the sound department, although Lynch might be tinkering with other aspects too.
Yeah, I don't think it'll be a huge deal. The episodes have been in post for over a year, I think at this point. Dunham was done editing in, what, October? I imagine Lynch has done his own editing passes since then (I believe on the press package he his credited as an editor).

It's possible the strike won't last so long that he won't have time to make changes to the later episodes anyway (which would be the ones most likely to need if, assuming he's currently focusing on the first ten or so)

Really hope the studios figure this out the. The writer's demands are pretty fair (peak tv has benefitted the studios far more than it has the writers, as they currently work more for less episodes and thus less pay, all while getting screwed on residuals from stuff like Netflix and other streaming services). I'll be super bummed if Game of Thrones final season ends up either getting rushed in writing to make the fall shoot date, or pushed back a full year (mind you, I'd prefer they just pushed it back).
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

According to EW, Twin Peaks is not expected to be impacted by the strike.
Here are some popular summer and early fall dramas that we’re told have either completed production for their upcoming season, or are far enough along so they’re not expected to be impacted: HBO’s Game of Thrones (July 16), Showtime’s Twin Peaks revival (May 21), Netflix’s Orange is the New Black (June 9), BBC America’s final season of Orphan Black (June 10), Starz’ American Gods (April 30), Starz’ Outlander (September), AMC’s Preacher (June 25), and — whew! — Netflix’s Stranger Things (Oct. 31).
http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/24/writers-str ... yed-shows/
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Panapaok wrote:According to EW, Twin Peaks is not expected to be impacted by the strike.
Here are some popular summer and early fall dramas that we’re told have either completed production for their upcoming season, or are far enough along so they’re not expected to be impacted: HBO’s Game of Thrones (July 16), Showtime’s Twin Peaks revival (May 21), Netflix’s Orange is the New Black (June 9), BBC America’s final season of Orphan Black (June 10), Starz’ American Gods (April 30), Starz’ Outlander (September), AMC’s Preacher (June 25), and — whew! — Netflix’s Stranger Things (Oct. 31).
http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/24/writers-str ... yed-shows/
Yeah, as I said it won't be majorly impacted. It will still affect post production however (which only has minor writing which is more about fixing things than creation, generally). It's not in the same league as a show that would get truly damaged (in the writing stage, or to a lesser, but still major extent, shooting)
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Rudagger wrote:It's not in the same league as a show that would get truly damaged (in the writing stage, or to a lesser, but still major extent, shooting)
Yeah, if it lasts as long as the 2007–08 strike, it could be disastrous. Especially since it's happening around the pilot season.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Panapaok wrote:
Rudagger wrote:It's not in the same league as a show that would get truly damaged (in the writing stage, or to a lesser, but still major extent, shooting)
Yeah, if it lasts as long as the 2007–08 strike, it could be disastrous. Especially since it's happening around the pilot season.
And on the movie side, Hollywood is even more heavily entrenched in franchises than they were 10 years ago. I imagine Disney, with it's two major film universes (Marvel + Star Wars) is nervous as hell. They've got a pretty intricate film slate with little room for error due to their whole cross pollination stuff. It's one of those things though where we won't really feel the immediate effect of it (it'll be on a two year delay as the films with unfinished scripts start releasing), unlike with television. I'm especially nervous for Episode IX, given the film is due to shoot in July, and I think it has .. well, two terrible writers who could use all the time they can get (the writers of Jurassic World .. possibly the single blandest movie I've ever seen, which completely missed the tone of the original [a genuinely terrifying family-friendly thriller]).

So many great television series in this peak tv era that could get ruined by losing momentum (look what happened to shows like Heroes, way back when). Fortunately Leftovers is ending anyway, Fargo is in the middle of airing a season (and probably wouldn't be able to make a winter shoot date anyway, as they have a slow turn around on seasons), and Better Call Saul has some leeway, so, those are some of my biggest.

But yeah, didn't mean to worry anyone, just thought it was something worth talking about. I'm not even sure how much Lynch reshoots or ADR's lines, other than the major overhaul that Mulholland Drive underwent (but obviously that is a very unique situation).
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rudagger wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Rudagger wrote:Worth noting, I did a look up on the WGA app, and David Lynch does seem to be a member. It's not a huge deal for a show so far along as Peaks (Game of Thrones Season 8 should be writing right now..) but could pose some problems if Lynch is trying to do last minute rewrites, or alter dialogue while looping in post. Probably nothing to be majorly worried about, but thought it was worth noting, as WGA members aren't allowed to touch anything in terms of writing once the strike starts on the first of May.
That's ridiculous. How would they know if he did make any changes, though? So much of what he does isn't on the page anyway.
Unions work explicitly because everyone is involved. If big name directors start writing, it defeats the purpose (as they have an incredible amount of leverage).
Panapaok wrote:I don't think it matters what one does in post-production. The problem is for those who are in the writing process.
It's all writing. Whether it's sitting down writing the initial script, on-set rewrites (Daniel Craig infamously had to help write Quantum of Solace with the director while shooting, as their WGA writers weren't allowed to), or changing lines in post. They can get actors, non-WGA personal (a sound person, a producer, a grip, whoever) to alter scripts.

I'm not sure how it works for pick-up shots, such as inserts. I would imagine there's some leeway where if it was already in the scene itself, and you want to go back and shoot an insert, that probably is already constituted as written. If you're going back an adding a scene though, or dialogue to a scene, that would constitute writing (as it wasn't already present in the script).
So if Lynch writes something in his head and tells an actor to say it, or on a piece of scratch paper, that counts? My question remains, how would anyone even know what he added or when he wrote it?
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LateReg wrote: So if Lynch writes something in his head and tells an actor to say it, or on a piece of scratch paper, that counts? My question remains, how would anyone even know what he added or when he wrote it?
Shooting scripts, revised scripts. Most of this stuff is dated, and generally documentation is sent to the WGA who arbitrates over credits. Plus, doing unauthorized writing work during the writer's strike is a big deal. Lynch is well loved, but, I can imagine that to some working on the show it would be a big line to cross (keep in mind that SAG has gone on strikes before, DGA also routinely re-ups their contracts). If he's doing writing work, it completely undermines the solidarity necessary for unions and strikes to work ..

I mean, George Lucas left the DGA specifically because he didn't like their rules and regulations, and that's fine. But, to be in a union and then shirk them during a strike is incredibly hypocritical (96% of the WGA voted in favour of authorizing a strike, so)
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

ringbearer wrote:
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

Ok, there isn't going to be anything new till the premiere then...
I just can't wait to see Ben and Jerry
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Does anyone speak French here and know what Monica Bellucci is saying about Twin Peaks?

https://twitter.com/GrosJournal/status/ ... 2498105344
She doesn't really say much. The guy asks her so you were a part of Twin Peaks, she says yes; she says she was part of the casting process, she said she is a comedian, and she's passionate about it, sometimes it takes her four years to do a role, or two minutes, she loves it, acting is in her heart and veins, the guy says what a very david lynch response... he says what was it like being in twin peaks... she blows a kiss...

As usual, she says nothing but delivers a very artistic response. Lol.
helloboys

Post by helloboys »

From everything I've read so far about the new series, I'm assuming the 'mythology' of things like Cooper, BOB, the Lodge etc is the key stuff to understand.

I don't want to do a full series rewatch before it airs, so what episodes are best to revisit beforehand to broadly reacquaint myself with that? I'm not super well-versed on which episode is which, though I've seen the full series and FWWM a few times now so don't really mind about catching up on the minutiae.

(If this has been discussed in a diff thread, please point me to it!)
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

helloboys wrote:From everything I've read so far about the new series, I'm assuming the 'mythology' of things like Cooper, BOB, the Lodge etc is the key stuff to understand.

I don't want to do a full series rewatch before it airs, so what episodes are best to revisit beforehand to broadly reacquaint myself with that? I'm not super well-versed on which episode is which, though I've seen the full series and FWWM a few times now so don't really mind about catching up on the minutiae.

(If this has been discussed in a diff thread, please point me to it!)

I'd probably just watch until the end of the Palmer case (maybe a couple episodes after if you want to recall Denise) and then skip to the last two or three episodes.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Okay - the phone call promo... I love it!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?