NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

If you're looking for "realism" in Twin Peaks' police procedures and criticizing it for not being there, you're missing the point entirely.
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

I love him, but I sincerely hope we find out in the first ten minutes of part 1 that Harry is dead so that we don't have to endure this nonsense for the entire four month run of the show (and yes, I realize being dead in TP doesn't mean you can't appear and this will go on until the last second of the last part). My suggestion is to make peace with the fact that he's not in the show, and if by some chance he is, then you'll enjoy the surprise even more.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I'm such a big fan of Sheriff Truman that his exclusion has actually dampened my excitement for the new series a great degree. Other than Agent Cooper, he is by far my favorite character, others' opinions be damned. Purely from a personal standpoint, this truly will be bittersweet.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

laughingpinecone wrote: (again, I don't think the video means anything, I'm just playing devil's advocate for a second)
I imagine that most people imagining an Annie appearance would picture a brief but meaningful cameo. Why couldn't the same be true for Harry? Who's to say his potential cameo would certainly be insignificant?
Well perhaps 'insignificant' was a word choice lending itself too easily to misunderstanding;
A potential cameo could certainly in theory be significant in terms of being meaningful plotwise, given the right timing and utility. But it would per definition be insignificant in terms of screen time, relative to a full part where you actually invest in the character.

It would be highly unlikely, at best, that putting together that kind of typical, borderline cliché, humorous buddy bromance compilation which overtly plugs the rerun of the old series in a perfectly natural way given Harry's function in that series, really serves as a way to generate hype for a very brief cameo in a new series, a new series that even comes with it's own set of teasers. This approach would likely be a first for any show, in addition to making no sense.

The face value interpretation is by far the most likely.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Ross wrote:If either Ontkean or Graham make an appearance, they didn't just keep it a secret from the public. They would have had to keep them a secret secret.
Yep. And that's entirely possible because I heard a lot of "absolutely not in" comments from "folks," but with Ontkean, Graham, Bowie, Isaak and Sutherland the comments are "I'm not sure" or "I honestly don't know."

Closed sets and off-location filming can keep that secret among just a handful of people. We'll see.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

My bet on a Harry Truman cameo is that it's one of the last scenes of the series. For example: Cooper finds him in a secluded cabin far from civilization to give back his Bookhouse Boys patch for the things that he's done. Harry refuses it and admits that everyone has demons.

Annie's cameo? Either a visit to a convent, or a visit to a cemetery.

Regardless of specifics I don't think either possible cameo would happen until near the end.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Dead Dog wrote:I'm such a big fan of Sheriff Truman that his exclusion has actually dampened my excitement for the new series a great degree. Other than Agent Cooper, he is by far my favorite character, others' opinions be damned. Purely from a personal standpoint, this truly will be bittersweet.
I can understand that. Ontkean and MacLachlan had such a great chemistry together, I would have also loved to see them again. But to be honest I think that Ontkean is a pretty limited actor. And if really Robert Forster is replacing him as Copper's companion, it's a very worthy addition. One of my big hopes for the new season, besides important parts for Al Strobel and Ray Wise, is that Robert Forster will have a big part. Despite all my sympathies for Ontkean, Forster is just in another acting league in my point of view.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Hopefully, Twin Peaks will get better ratings than Showtime's latest new show:
Over on Showtime, the early-1970s-set and London-based Guerrilla pulled in just 182,000 viewers for its debut. It’s a big but not unexpected drop from the 1.9 million the Homeland Season 6 finale drew in the same 9 PM slot April 9.
It will also be running against The Leftovers on HBO:
As for the rest of HBO’s night, Girls lead-in The Leftovers opened its third and final season at 9:02 PM Sunday with 895,000 viewers, a 22% rise over its Season 2 opener on October 4, 2015.
http://deadline.com/2017/04/girls-serie ... 202071533/
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Mordeen wrote:My bet on a Harry Truman cameo is that it's one of the last scenes of the series. For example: Cooper finds him in a secluded cabin far from civilization to give back his Bookhouse Boys patch for the things that he's done. Harry refuses it and admits that everyone has demons.

Regardless of specifics I don't think either possible cameo would happen until near the end.

-Mordeen
that Cooper & Harry bet is so spot-on for something from the show I got chills
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Mordeen wrote:My bet on a Harry Truman cameo is that it's one of the last scenes of the series. For example: Cooper finds him in a secluded cabin far from civilization to give back his Bookhouse Boys patch for the things that he's done. Harry refuses it and admits that everyone has demons.

-Mordeen
I like the idea of Annie being a nun again, or just becoming a literal Angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Agent327 wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote: (again, I don't think the video means anything, I'm just playing devil's advocate for a second)
I imagine that most people imagining an Annie appearance would picture a brief but meaningful cameo. Why couldn't the same be true for Harry? Who's to say his potential cameo would certainly be insignificant?
Well perhaps 'insignificant' was a word choice lending itself too easily to misunderstanding;
A potential cameo could certainly in theory be significant in terms of being meaningful plotwise, given the right timing and utility. But it would per definition be insignificant in terms of screen time, relative to a full part where you actually invest in the character.

It would be highly unlikely, at best, that putting together that kind of typical, borderline cliché, humorous buddy bromance compilation which overtly plugs the rerun of the old series in a perfectly natural way given Harry's function in that series, really serves as a way to generate hype for a very brief cameo in a new series, a new series that even comes with it's own set of teasers. This approach would likely be a first for any show, in addition to making no sense.

The face value interpretation is by far the most likely.
Gotcha, that I agree with.
And now I can't find the right words to get my thoughts across (aside from the teaser which we agree is not relevant), especially not without using as examples some hypotheses which are admittedly pretty farfetched and I'd like not to make an even bigger ass of myself than average :/

In general, I think... if they want to make us invest in a character even in their absence, they can absolutely do that. /If/ they want to. And we just don't know the first thing about what they set out to accomplish, so it's all hypotheticals.
From a screenwriting standpoint, they must have faced an inordinate amount of hurdles but they also had so, so much freedom to line up their priorities however they wanted. If their ~vision were to make Coop/Norma (or insert any other crackpot option) endgame, they had all the tools to make it happen in an organic, compelling way.

So. Shining a spotlight on an absent character? Easy peasy. I am confident that it's what's gonna happen with Annie. For her, it's almost a given.
For Harry, of course, it's not. He could very well be a footnote in history. But /if/ they wanted to prop him up, to make his absence important? They could absolutely do that.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:If you're looking for "realism" in Twin Peaks' police procedures and criticizing it for not being there, you're missing the point entirely.
Thanks, didn't know that I missed the point while watching the series and movie 3-4 times a piece, and reading all of The Secret History of Twin Peaks (which is so heavy on documentation and filing).

Anyway, everyone can get something different out of a show, someone can watch Deadwood because they love westerns, or watch Deadwood because they just love great rapid-fire dialogue. All I asked was that if there's a who dun it in the new series (which was written completely in advance), that it's more thought out than how it was in the original run where the actual physical crime (the murder and disposal of the body) was clearly not written to hold up under dozens of hours of scrutiny (i.e., how when the murder plays it in FWWM, it just becomes head scratching). I'm completely down with spiritualism, bizarre clues, crazy characters and red herrings, an angel making Ronette's bindings disappear, etc. But every story has it's own rules, and it's own level of suspension of disbelief (and to that end, something like Leo's truck showing up in a magazine just reeks of the writers finding themselves in a dead end, rather than intentionally cheeky writing). If none of the procedural elements of the show matter at all, why bother watching a large percentage of the first season, why not skip from the pilot to the killer reveal? Why bother having Albert as a character to prattle on about fibres and autopsies? Really sick of seeing the point I made misinterpreted on this thread. And being told that I missed the point of the show is just downright infuriating.

I won't say any more on this topic, it's done for me. Back to Season 3 stuff.

As with everyone else I'm dying for Ontkean to show up in some capacity. Someone else said that the lack of Ontkean actually hurt their anticipation, and I sort of agree (it was the biggest bummer of all the TP news in the past few years). Fingers crossed for Isaak/Sutherland, but, I'm really not holding my breath for Bowie showing up (at least based on .. Harry Goaz comments that said Bowie was supposed to appear, but they weren't able to film him before he died).
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

Jerry Horne wrote:Watch it at the Roadhouse:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/twin-peaks ... 3282963239
Thanks for posting that. I'm coming up with friends, staying at a forest house airbnb in Issaquah/Tiger Mountain for the weekend and was planning on watching it at the house. Just got a tix/table for the 21st at the Roadhouse and could not be more thrilled. Gracias!
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Rudagger wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:If you're looking for "realism" in Twin Peaks' police procedures and criticizing it for not being there, you're missing the point entirely.
Thanks, didn't know that I missed the point while watching the series and movie 3-4 times a piece, and reading all of The Secret History of Twin Peaks (which is so heavy on documentation and filing).
You can still miss the point my dude, just saiyan