NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I'm sure the showtime social media people will come up with some devastatingly funny goofs
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mordeen wrote:Has anyone else noticed that so many Twin Peaks spaces on the internet are getting more and more vicious as we get closer to Season 3? Would be an interesting thing for a psychologist to analyze.

Meanwhile, Ray was being tongue-in-cheek in that interview where he said he'd be in all the episodes. However there's no reason to doubt his role will be significant in whatever form it takes. Laura and Maddy are dead but Sheryl Lee is plastered all over the promotions. Ray's absence in the promotion is conspicuous, but shouldn't be seen as troublesome.

If it hasn't been done already I'm going ahead and calling that we'll get a new tease of some sort on or around April 8. The whole promotion seems to revolve around the familiar, what with billboards in Seattle, Philly and Missoula. Golden Circles.

-Mordeen
I have not noticed anything, but it would not surprise me in the least. I think human psychology is that people like to stir controversy to stimulate themselves.

Me, I don't have that problem. When I want stimulation, I reach for the percolator and make myself a steaming cup of black coffee, dark as midnight on a moonless night.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I haven't noticed anything either - unless you're talking about meme pages being rude about James Marshall
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

People, people, the 3-D thing was a joke, and moviehole stupidly reported it! Goes to show better not to trust any online resources when it comes to TP.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Dalai Cooper wrote:I haven't noticed anything either - unless you're talking about meme pages being rude about James Marshall
Yeah, what's up with that? It's not funny, it's just dumb and they won't stop.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:I haven't noticed anything either - unless you're talking about meme pages being rude about James Marshall
Yeah, I'm in agreement on that. I enjoy many of these memes but the ones about James and his forehead are really mean-spirited and not funny at all.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

No mystery imo - he's one of the least liked characters on the show. I like him fine but acknowledge that he is dorky and drippy, which is a good well for humour. Also memes thrive on repetition and James's Jamesness has been established by now. The fire walk with memes admin recently admitted that they were hoping James would have a good part in the new series. It's all in fun.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mordeen wrote:Has anyone else noticed that so many Twin Peaks spaces on the internet are getting more and more vicious as we get closer to Season 3? Would be an interesting thing for a psychologist to analyze.
Can't say I've really noticed either. Of course, there's the occasional grumpiness but that's all too common on the interwebs. Also when it comes to this forum I've seen worse times, with trolls roaming free and whatnot.

Haven't seen James memes come by either. Is this another confirmation that I'm not missing much by not using twitter?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I think the forehead thing comes from a particular image where it is really prominent but in general I could do with less dragging actors for their looks, it does feel slightly toxic
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I wasn't referring to that directly but while on the subject, it may be "all in good fun" but when the subject of the jokes is personally hurt by them, it stops being fun or funny, especially when it references looks or apparent health.

I was speaking more to the fact that the trolls have been venturing further and further out from under their bridges of late, and I was wondering if maybe it's because people are trying to use the imminent return of Twin Peaks as a way of getting attention. You know, like trolls do.

-Mordeen

EDIT: Damn I just realized I dragged us off topic. I was hoping the part about Ray would gain traction, not this.
Moving Through Time. . .
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Agent Earle wrote:
FrostedCherries wrote:
Calderon wrote:And I keep my fingers crossed that Ray Wise will have an important part in the new season, but I fear he will only have a cameo.
It's been said Wise reminded Lynch of not forgetting to include him, to which he replied something along the lines of: "Well, trouble is you're dead. But we'll have to work around that." (quoting from memory, may not be the exact wording)

Knowing how much he hated to be killed off in Season 2 so early, it'd beeen a shame if they had omitted him. And he is such a presence. I hope for at least a "larger" smaller part too.
Things have certainly been quiet on the Ray Wise front ever since the return of the series was announced (apart from his name discretely added to the giant cast list what, last spring, was it?). This disproportion's really funny, once that you stop to think about it: it seemed that before the new episodes were announced, Ray Wise was practically the only TP person in the whole of TP universe who continuously made cryptic insinuations as to the show maybe not being "dead as a doornail" we all though it was (the quote of him saying to Lynch he'd like to be a part of the new series that you speak of is from before the announcement was made, and involves Lynch replying to him that "the town's still there", "we could revisit it, I guess" and "maybe we can work around your character being dead"). And now, for two and a half years since it's been known that the show is indeed coming back, Ray Wise has just sort of went underground - no statement from him or a tease like from practically everyone else from the old cast (even from those who're reportedly not returning), no video, no photo, not a glimpse, not a peep. Weird...

I believe at the time of the quote both Lynch and Wise had a pretty good idea that the show was coming back..If you take a look at the time line when Frost approached Lynch to make more Twin Peaks and when David was quoted saying that it is pretty clear that there were good chances the show was coming back
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

kafa81 wrote:
I believe at the time of the quote both Lynch and Wise had a pretty good idea that the show was coming back..If you take a look at the time line when Frost approached Lynch to make more Twin Peaks and when David was quoted saying that it is pretty clear that there were good chances the show was coming back
Yep, I think they were even already working on it then. At some point it was revealed they had been working on the script for 4 years already, which was quite some time ago
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
One page in particular on facebook has mods watching like hawks for memes they find personally objectionable and it's turned into "James has a big forehead" and "look at the hot Twin Peaks guys being funny" over & over, some of it probably in protest of the mods being silly

What a way to be fun on the innernette!
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I don't know, I left a Twin Peaks FB group over the constant, ridiculous (to me) James bashing. I see why he annoys folks at time, but it just got really degrading and mean spirited and I know James Marshall is aware of a lot of this. Maybe I've gotten too soft in my years (becoming a Dad did that to me) but people have feelings, even actors. It's just so damn juvenile to take it to that extreme, post after post.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

You guys are so right. All this while, I've been thinking maybe I'm being too sensitive and it's all in good fun, but now hearing you echo my sentiments and knowing that James is aware of it, I will also unlike the meme pages.