NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

adl345
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by adl345 »

Panapaok wrote:So, I guess there won't be any screenings for critics in advance. That'd be very interesting.
All the article says is that there'll be no public screenings prior to the premiere. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't make screeners available to critics.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I frankly don't expect critic screeners from Lynch. If they haven't even put out a trailer yet they're not gonna do screeners. But who knows.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

I genuinely have no idea whether he will or not, but I do think it would be a mistake not to. Generally, it's a good thing to have every single internet and print outlet in the country writing articles about your show in the days leading up to the premiere, even if some of them end being negative or giving away a bit too much.

I can only think of two high profile shows that haven't sent critics anything in advance in the leadup to a premiere: Game Of Thrones S6 and Arrested Development S4. Game Of Thrones did it because the previous season's screeners leaked online. Arrested Development did for reasons of quality that became obvious in hindsight.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:I frankly don't expect critic screeners from Lynch. If they haven't even put out a trailer yet they're not gonna do screeners. But who knows.
I'm still betting there will be critics who have seen the first two hours prior to the premiere. I think Lynch knows the game and is pushing it as far as he can, but ultimately I do think he will play the game. I guess I'm 50/50 on that.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

We'll see. I think that as soon as April arrives, we'll start hearing more and more about the series.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Mordeen (re: seeing FWWM at Cannes) wrote: Circumstances that I regret squandering put me there.
My, that is a fascinating thread end to leave there, just dangling in the wind!

So... you regret sacrificing something that led you to see the premiere of a great Lynch film at Cannes.

Did you turn down an opportunity to fly off to Brazil with John Justice Wheeler?

Sorry, it's a slow news day. :)
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Aw man, I had a dream I was watching the first two episodes of S3 and it was DREADFUL.

Woke up in a cold sweat.
ProjectBlueBook

Post by ProjectBlueBook »

Metamorphia wrote:Aw man, I had a dream I was watching the first two episodes of S3 and it was DREADFUL.

Woke up in a cold sweat.
Haha, you're not alone. I dreamed about a pretty girl wrapped in plastic like Laura - maybe Amanda Seyfried. Anyway, I guess I need to stop thinking about S3, that waiting kills me.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Metamorphia wrote:Aw man, I had a dream I was watching the first two episodes of S3 and it was DREADFUL.

Woke up in a cold sweat.
You are diagnosed with 'Battered Peaks Freak' Syndrome. It's root cause is watching the latter half of Season 2 repeatedly especially the Diane Keaton directed episode.

I hereby prescribe to you for the next few weeks to watch only Lynch directed episodes and FWWM. If these symptoms persist, more drastic measures may be required.

Edit: I am not an M.D. Should your symptoms persist, you should request the assistance of a competent medical professional. I recommend Dr. Carl Rodd at the Fat Trout Trailer Park- he can set you up with enough valium to get you through the next two months intact.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Woke up in a cold sweat.
I have had a few nights where this has happened to me ! I start the show and it's just not good.. I begin stressing and sweating as the first few hours pass and it's awful .. talk about a nightmare !
Romalotti

Post by Romalotti »

Mistertom wrote:

Woke up in a cold sweat.
I have had a few nights where this has happened to me ! I start the show and it's just not good.. I begin stressing and sweating as the first few hours pass and it's awful .. talk about a nightmare !
Yeah same here! I had two Twin Peaks premiere dreams. In both dreams, I had forgotten it was the premiere night until the last minute (which would absolutely NEVER HAPPEN in real life -- in fact, I am taking the weekend off work for this), then the show comes on and it is just a cheaply produced, meandering mess. Odd because I never dream about tv shows like that.
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

I recently had a dream in which I was watching the entirety of the new season and it was incredible! Of course I can't remember much, except that the atmosphere of the whole thing was very similar to episode 29...there were a lot of slow-motion shots of trees and everything was full of fog.

I also somehow realized while watching that it was really tightly structured and had a strong central narrative that was crystal clear and easy to follow, except of course for the occational abstract sequence that felt completely strange, disturbing and beautiful. The only really concrete thing I remember was an actor who looked very similar to MJA jumping around in the Red Room while playing the trumpet...then he suddenly disappeared and one of the curtains opened...but there was another curtain right behind it... kinda felt like peeling off a layer of an onion.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

I had a dream that I was swimming to Alcatraz to avoid getting eaten by a bear.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I dreamt that I was watching the first episode on a big screen with a room full of people. It was ~4hr long (this part was prescient!), in the style of inland empire, completely amazing - and featured no twin peaks cast members, not even maclachlan. I was trying to convince myself, in the dream, that I was enjoying the boldness of this.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

I'm sure it's the high expectations in contrast with the high level of secrecy and as good as nonexistent amount of concrete info (no still pictures, no trailer, no plot summary) that is messing with out unconscious minds. I don't think the show will be shit. But it will probably be very different from the original. In worst case it'll be a "grower", like FWWM was to me, and to be honest this may be what I most of all want it to be. I'd rather take something that's rewatchable and grows on me than something I love the first time around but never want to rewatch.