NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mordeen »

I know a couple people that have a real good shot at getting invites, if such a thing takes place. You can bet I'll post about any news I'm made aware of as soon as I know, unless the plan is to have a secret cast & crew only event (which isn't uncommon), in which case the forum rules will require my silence.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I still think its a mistake not promoting it more. Hopefully that will ramp up. If they can't show footage, there are still plenty they can do. I think a lot of people still have no idea it starts back in May. I know a lot of people say who cares, this is for the fans. But Showtime, and Lynch/Frost, and everyone else involved wants this to be a success. The good news is that times are different this time around, and those who miss the first episode(s) can easily catch up.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Ross wrote:I still think its a mistake not promoting it more. Hopefully that will ramp up. If they can't show footage, there are still plenty they can do. I think a lot of people still have no idea it starts back in May. I know a lot of people say who cares, this is for the fans. But Showtime, and Lynch/Frost, and everyone else involved wants this to be a success. The good news is that times are different this time around, and those who miss the first episode(s) can easily catch up.
Stranger Things, a new I.P., essentially came out of nowhere all at once and word of mouth exploded on it. A lot of people all ready know about it and once it comes on, I expect a similar word of mouth effect spreading it even further. Ads will probably ramp up a bit more in the next couple months but I think it'll do fine regardless.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I suspect the 2+2 hour premier is a hint that they really do expect it to blow up by word of mouth, and with On Demand allowing people who didn't know (or didn't care) to catch up, assume they're banking on it if we don't see any further shift in marketing strategy.

But in the end, if this ends up being perhaps the most expensive act of fanservice for a cult show in history, so be it. Thanks for putting up the cash, Showtime!

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Mordeen wrote:I know a couple people that have a real good shot at getting invites, if such a thing takes place. You can bet I'll post about any news I'm made aware of as soon as I know, unless the plan is to have a secret cast & crew only event (which isn't uncommon), in which case the forum rules will require my silence.

-Mordeen
I should be able to get in if it's open to the industry (or at least I'll have a fighting chance), so I'll let you guys know if I hear of anything. But I don't think it's realistic to have everyone at a big Hollywood premiere sign NDAs and to not talk/tweet about it, so I'm a little skeptical. Unless, that is, they literally hold the premiere on that Sunday, May 21, which would be unusual, but then I think anything's possible on this one! But again, I could see them foregoing it entirely to keep the mystery alive...
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Mordeen wrote:
But in the end, if this ends up being perhaps the most expensive act of fanservice for a cult show in history, so be it. Thanks for putting up the cash, Showtime!

-Mordeen
My thoughts exactly! :)

At least they got it all written out and filmed/produced in advance this time around, so there's no chance it'll end up like the trainwreck second part of season 2.

All I can say for sure at the moment is that whatever happens at sxsw on Thursday, I'm already freaking excited to even READ about it.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Okay, I might be the only person in here who would prefer there be no trailers, teasers, clips, plots revelations, or premieres, so that that way I could go into the show knowing nothing about it. It is extremely rare, if not impossible, these days so that anticipation of not knowing what to expect is thrilling to me!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

dronerstone wrote: . . .like the trainwreck second part of season 2.
These words, in this order, seem confusing. Is this a code in a forgotten language? If I apply my cipher to it. . .wait a moment. . .aha!

Translation:

". . .when the whole of Twin Peaks is appreciated as the sum of its parts."

Took me a minute there, but I figured it out. Heh.

To each their own, and to thine own self be true.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Post by tamygdala »

I bet the first two hours premieres as a 'special screening' at Cannes - the festival runs from May 17-28.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Mordeen wrote:
These words, in this order, seem confusing. Is this a code in a forgotten language? If I apply my cipher to it. . .wait a moment. . .aha!

Translation:

-Mordeen
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh about it! ;)
There's never a minute that I skip, every rewatch has been the "complete" experience, but that doesn't imply that I believe there's no weak moments in there at all.

We all make mistakes sometimes, they're part of everyone's personal canon. :)
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

dronerstone wrote:
Mordeen wrote:

Translation:

-Mordeen
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh about it! ;)
There's never a minute that I skip, every rewatch has been the "complete" experience, but that doesn't only that I believe there's no weak moments in there at all.

We all make mistakes sometimes, even if they're part of the canon. :)
I know, I was being facetious. Look at my avatar, and you'll see that even at its worst moments Twin Peaks is a joy for me. Still nothing like it.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

tamygdala wrote:I bet the first two hours premieres as a 'special screening' at Cannes - the festival runs from May 17-28.
I think that's a real possibility.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The marketing approach of the series has certainly been very interesting. I've said it before and others have too, that Showtime might plan to be more open about it as close to the premiere as possible. Maybe the last 4-5 weeks leading up to the new show will be more intense. Maybe not, though. It'll be very interesting to see their course of action for sure.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Platypus2000 wrote:
tamygdala wrote:I bet the first two hours premieres as a 'special screening' at Cannes - the festival runs from May 17-28.
I think that's a real possibility.
I agree - good call.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

If anything we might get screencaps of very innocuous moments from the first episode that as a whole wouldn't be spoiler harm. I'm always open to that.