NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Corbin

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Corbin »

mine wrote:
dronerstone wrote:Who knows... My guess is that whatever it is, it's not necessary if that is new footage or anything, but it's highly symbolic nature. Typically Lynch/Peaks to me.

A somewhat tattered Laura photo which we already know but maybe not in this context, along with Coop "stepping out of the dark" or, better said "BACK into the light" is what probably gives away the tone and or theme of the new episodes.

Shedding light on that old case, Cooper being back in action, in whatever form - therefore the finale/BOB part of the teaser(s) plays a role too I guess.

Although we have literally only little pieces yet, I gotta say I LOVE IT already. :)
I wonder if the slowed down theme is indicative of the tone of the new episodes relative to the original ones. The slower tempo makes it sound substantially darker. To me it seems a strong hint that the new season will be darker as well.

This or them being 25 years older means they'll be moving slower again like the theme.
Oh there's for sure going to be some dark moments this season I'm sure of it
joemunch

Post by joemunch »

I wonder if Lynch himself chooses what the teasers are going to be or if Showtime just shows it to him and waits for his approval.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Panapaok wrote:
Ross wrote:I love how one of the only scraps of possible new footage is actually a photo from the original...
Yeah, lol. We used to make fun of potential promotional material that would include only shots of trees, coffee and pie and this is actually what we're getting. :lol:
Season 3 will turn out to be written entirely based on speculation from this board.

One more reason we're getting CGI MJA.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Snailhead wrote:Thing is the background doesn't look like anywhere in the Palmer house that I can recall. Doesn't mean there haven't been any changes in the house, not to mention it's very hard to make out any details other than light and blocks of colour.
I love the handheld camera.
What if it's hanging in Laura's current home?
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

mine wrote:
dronerstone wrote:Who knows... My guess is that whatever it is, it's not necessary if that is new footage or anything, but it's highly symbolic nature. Typically Lynch/Peaks to me.

A somewhat tattered Laura photo which we already know but maybe not in this context, along with Coop "stepping out of the dark" or, better said "BACK into the light" is what probably gives away the tone and or theme of the new episodes.

Shedding light on that old case, Cooper being back in action, in whatever form - therefore the finale/BOB part of the teaser(s) plays a role too I guess.

Although we have literally only little pieces yet, I gotta say I LOVE IT already. :)
I wonder if the slowed down theme is indicative of the tone of the new episodes relative to the original ones. The slower tempo makes it sound substantially darker. To me it seems a strong hint that the new season will be darker as well.

This or them being 25 years older means they'll be moving slower again like the theme.
That's what I figured. If they can't show much new footage to get the tone across then music would be the next best thing. I'm guessing they don't won't people to be totally shocked if it's more like FWWM.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Ross wrote:I love how one of the only scraps of possible new footage is actually a photo from the original...
LMAO, I know right? I love it.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mistertom wrote:I will just go on record and say I think it's new material not just teaser specific. I think the Laura picture and cooper emerging from the shadows shot will be In the new series .
This absolutely is footage that will be in the new series.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mistertom wrote:I will just go on record and say I think it's new material not just teaser specific. I think the Laura picture and cooper emerging from the shadows shot will be In the new series .
The cooper teaser to me feels very reminiscent of some shots from inland empire. Namely, of Justin thereox on the Soundstage of blue tomorrows emerging from the darkness.

I hope the new peaks has a tone pace and feel closest to FWWM. But with some of that inland empire labyrinth like plot and off the wall narrative structure..
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Platypus2000 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
The cooper teaser to me feels very reminiscent of some shots from inland empire. Namely, of Justin thereox on the Soundstage of blue tomorrows emerging from the darkness.

I hope the new peaks has a tone pace and feel closest to FWWM. But with some of that inland empire labyrinth like plot and off the wall narrative structure..
The same emerging from darkness shot happens in Lost Highway, and there's a similar scene in Blue Velvet with Laura Dern and Kyle.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Speaking of Justin Theroux, god I wish he was in the new season. It's funny, my biggest casting disappointment, next to Michael Ontkean, is the lack of someone who wasn't in the original show to begin with ..

I imagine he was probably busy shooting the final season of the Leftovers though (which he is incredible in). Part of my gut says that whatever Balthazar Getty is doing in the new season probably would've been played by him, but that's just purely baseless ignorant speculation (based how, if just in terms of look, Theroux seemed to fill a role in Mulholland Drive that Getty probably could've played .. even if I think Getty kind of just .. gives off a 'douchebag' vibe in his acting).

How much is he actually in Inland Empire? I still have yet to watch it, but, I think at this point I'm just going to wait until after Twin Peaks airs (just in case I really dislike IE and it kills some of my Lynch buzz between now and then).
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Rudagger wrote: How much is he actually in Inland Empire? I still have yet to watch it, but, I think at this point I'm just going to wait until after Twin Peaks airs (just in case I really dislike IE and it kills some of my Lynch buzz between now and then).
He has a big part in INLAND EMPIRE, mostly within in the first half of the film. It's probably my favourite film of all time, so I'm definitely biased, but I would highly recommend checking it out before the new Twin Peaks airs.

Even if the film doesn't click for you as a whole, it has many incredible scenes that can be enjoyed as vignettes.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Snailhead wrote:
Rudagger wrote: How much is he actually in Inland Empire? I still have yet to watch it, but, I think at this point I'm just going to wait until after Twin Peaks airs (just in case I really dislike IE and it kills some of my Lynch buzz between now and then).
He has a big part in INLAND EMPIRE, mostly within in the first half of the film. It's probably my favourite film of all time, so I'm definitely biased, but I would highly recommend checking it out before the new Twin Peaks airs.

Even if the film doesn't click for you as a whole, it has many incredible scenes that can be enjoyed as vignettes.
It's pretty lengthy, so, it's just hard setting aside a big block of time, haha. I'll try to find some time.

But, that is good to hear has a decent part in it. For some reason I thought it was just like a small bit part of something (I think probably because Laura Dern is really the only name I associate with that film, doesn't seem to be as much of a two-hander as some of his stuff like Blue Velvet/Mulholland Drive/Lost Highway/etc.)
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I find his performance more interesting in Inland Empire than Mulholland Drive, actually. Adam Kesher is an interesting guy but the film doesn't really delve too deep into his character. I feel like we see more sides of the character(s) he plays in IE.

edit: Also, despite IE being my favourite movie, I rarely watch it all in one sitting. I usually take 2 or 3 sessions to finish the movie.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Things that crossed my mind...

Twin Peaks - Twin Teasers - Dale/Laura

Then I realized... Things that got out in the old spoiler thread about what they were filming in front of the Palmer house might not necessarily be undertakings of good intent.

How about Doppel-Coop and "Evil Laura"? After all this is a possibility, right?

This might be an attempt to drag the town of TP into even more trouble.

Anyone have theories/thoughts on this yet?

We see the "BOBbed" Cooper in the teaser, and THEN the dark road (another metaphor) scene so it might be HIM to step back into the light /this reality,
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

This definitely does not look "A okay." The pace is slow, very slow indeed, which brings a very disturbing mood and there are two clear references to MD and LH. My gut feeling also echoes "Is there a murder in your film?" from IE. All in all it seems that Coop struggles from something bad wrong. Will Season 3 guide us through a path of the criminal till the absolute end: "I showed you the light?"

My hope is that Audrey manages to save him, "Strange what love does. So strange."