NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Audrey Horne »

Adolphus wrote:Do we really? I know nothing of the sort. It's true that there've been reports in the years since the series went off the air about the intended pairing of Audrey and Cooper, but had they proceeded with that, who knows where they'd end up. The thing is, from what I gather about the whole Twin Peaks-making process of '89-'91, the showrunners and writers didn't have some master plan prepared for seasons in advance or even for a whole season - it's been said numerous times that, after the initial board was set by the pilot, they improvised and made things up as they went along. It's not even entirely clear if LP's killer's identity was indeed known to Lynch & Frost from day one.

In the gold box set documentary Mark Frost says that both he and Lynch knew who the killer was when the series started. So wrong again.

This is what I know from talking with Bob Engels from when he hung out with a bunch of us at the fest... And believe me it was one of my first questions. Yes, there was a plan for a Cooper, Audrey and Cooper's former partner. Bob remembered that they had set that up. (Cooper dictates to Diane about Windom Earle in one sentence, and then in the next confesses Audrey's disappearance throwing him emotionally.) But no, there was no plan for a Black Lodge because they hadn't fully developed that... And then Lynch redefined it anyway. He was vague at remembering details about Wheeler and Annie but that they were basically substitutes. They all basically have the same personalities anyway. But I don't think any of this information can come as much of a surprise to anyone anyway.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

This whole Audrey / Annie thing gets tiresome. I love both characters and the actresses that played them, for different reasons. It seems pretty clear to me that Annie was a last minute substitution in the Lodge finale, and it was originally intended for Audrey. Regardless, we got what we got and I'm really intrigued to know "how's Annie" 26 years later, especially with the revisionist history in the book. I hope Heather Graham figures in somehow - even just in a cameo.

What little we know about Audrey's part in Season 3 is that it was filmed in just a few days, very near the end. I think if anyone is hoping for a "happily ever after" for Coop and Audrey, they're likely going to be disappointed. I agree that would seem like pandering, and I'm pretty certain that pandering is nowhere near the top of the priorities for Lynch or Frost. Having said that, I hope there is some interaction between Coop and Audrey and Audrey and Ben.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

I'm pretty sure Lynch and Frost have zero intention of revisiting the Coop/Audrey will they/won't they romance. There are more important things to explore now
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Aerozhul wrote:This whole Audrey / Annie thing gets tiresome.
We know

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

nonemoreblack wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. Frost has said the intention was for it to be Audrey.
Around the 5:50 mark in this 2012 interview, Mark explicitly refuses to say that Audrey would have ended up in the Black Lodge in place of Annie, and says the writers had not worked the plot out that far before abandoning the Coop/Audrey storyline.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think it's very likely Audrey would have ended up in the same place story-wise as Annie or somewhere similar had the creative issue not arisen. Do I think it was ever scripted or broken down by the writers as specific story beats? No, I don't think it got that far.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

"15 years off the air"
"15 years ago"
Alright, that's probably a typo, but seeing it frequently referred to as a "reboot" is getting a tad annoying.
Internet journalists, get your shit together
I'll see you in the trees
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. Frost has said the intention was for it to be Audrey.
Around the 5:50 mark in this 2012 interview, Mark explicitly refuses to say that Audrey would have ended up in the Black Lodge in place of Annie, and says the writers had not worked the plot out that far before abandoning the Coop/Audrey storyline.
Hm, maybe I was confusing it with something else he confirmed. I feel like I've seen it somewhere. In any case, it's not like they would've randomly brought Annie in if the Audrey thing had worked out. I do know they were planning on making those first six episodes focus on Audrey/Cooper, so she would make the most sense for Windom Earle to kidnap.

I don't know why people always assume Audrey/Cooper has to be discussed in terms of a romance or their scenes being for fanservice. It's not about that. It's about acknowledging their friendship the same way his friendship with Harry was special. Doesn't mean I care about the main story any less.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Even Twin Peaks isn't free from the "shipping wars." I'm reminded everyday why that nonsense never caught on with me when it came to fandom talk.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Small interview with Mädchen:

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/twin-peaks-se ... on-1543256
“Twin Peaks” season 3 will mark the return of Madchen Amick in her role as Shelly Johnson, who works at restaurant Double R Diner. Recently, the actress spilled the beans on what fans must look forward to seeing from her character in the 2017 season.

In the show, high school dropout Shelly is married to trucker Leo Johnson (Eric Da Re). However, she isn’t happy with him. He lured her into getting married, showing him love and attention but it seemed that he “wanted a maid he didn't have to pay for,” as Shelly once said in the show.

She has an affair with Laura's boyfriend, Bobby Briggs (Dana Ashbrook), and they have been seen planning to get married in the last season. She wants to run away from all the torture she bears because of Leo. It is in the 2017 season of the show that fans will find if they will walk down the aisle.

“When we left the show 20 years ago, I remember thinking, huh I wonder what Shelly would do in the future and I wonder if she'll ever get out of the situation she's in,” Amick said. " sort of dreamed that she could leave town and maybe try to move to Hollywood and try to be something big, just trying to figure out her individuality,” she added.

Amick said that she was happy when it was announced that the show is returning to TV, and she would get to play the character again. She was even happier to know about the future of her character.

“Then when it was announced that it was coming back, I was just like, 'Wow, what has she done? Where has she been? What's been going on?' and I was excited to wait and get the scenes and try to figure out what David and Mark [Frost] felt had happened,” the actress said.

Amick refused to give out further details. However, she teased that there’s a big surprise waiting for fans in season 3. “The only thing I can give you is I was surprised.”

Amick was also asked if there were any questions that fans kept asking her about the show. “Yeah, there's a pretty big one that everyone always asks ... and it will be answered,” she told Toofab.com.

“Twin Peaks” 2017 season is much anticipated by fans. It has been 26 years when everyone saw the murder mystery of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) being solved. In the finale episode of season 2, FBI Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) goes missing in the woods, after being possessed by mysterious killer BOB (Frank Silva).

“Twin Peaks” season 3 will be premiered in the US on May 21 at 9:00 p.m. ET on Showtime. In Australia, show will be streamed on Stan at 1:00 p.m. on May 22. The 2017 season will have 18 episodes. The premiere episode will be two-hour long.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Nice to see these little tidbits rolling in.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Aerozhul wrote:What little we know about Audrey's part in Season 3 is that it was filmed in just a few days, very near the end. I think if anyone is hoping for a "happily ever after" for Coop and Audrey, they're likely going to be disappointed. I agree that would seem like pandering, and I'm pretty certain that pandering is nowhere near the top of the priorities for Lynch or Frost. Having said that, I hope there is some interaction between Coop and Audrey and Audrey and Ben.
At the end of the day, Cooper was a policeman a teenage high school girl had a crush on 25 years ago who had completely brushed her off within three weeks. The bank explosion had nothing to do with Cooper and Earle, so basically Audrey would have moved on the same as anyone else. In the real world, chances are that if Cooper walked past her down the street, she wouldn't immediately recognise him, any more than I would recognise a girl I fancied as teenager 25 years ago.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Nice small interviews with Madchen and Alicia. I like how excited everyone is.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Gabriel wrote:
Aerozhul wrote:What little we know about Audrey's part in Season 3 is that it was filmed in just a few days, very near the end. I think if anyone is hoping for a "happily ever after" for Coop and Audrey, they're likely going to be disappointed. I agree that would seem like pandering, and I'm pretty certain that pandering is nowhere near the top of the priorities for Lynch or Frost. Having said that, I hope there is some interaction between Coop and Audrey and Audrey and Ben.
At the end of the day, Cooper was a policeman a teenage high school girl had a crush on 25 years ago who had completely brushed her off within three weeks. The bank explosion had nothing to do with Cooper and Earle, so basically Audrey would have moved on the same as anyone else. In the real world, chances are that if Cooper walked past her down the street, she wouldn't immediately recognise him, any more than I would recognise a girl I fancied as teenager 25 years ago.
Of course she would remember.She had a huge thing for Cooper and he wasnt like any person in Twin Peaks.Plus he also saved her from One Eyed Jacks.No one would forget those details