NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by krishnanspace »

If they dont release a typical trailer how are new people going to watch it?Imagine if a new person just watches the Gordon cole teaser he might think this show is about FBI and doughnuts :D
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Yeah, I do think that they will want to bring in a new audience with this, not all of whom are going to have watched the first series. I've thought all along that the story will seem self-contained (albeit a bit bizarre) for those who have not seen the first series.

I'm not expecting the series to start with a "previously on Twin Peaks" for example.
heLL paso

Post by heLL paso »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Sidgwick wrote:Then again, The Walking Dead gets horrible reviews and massive numbers. So maybe I'm full of it.
There will always be exceptions to the rule. TWD, like Star Wars, is essentially a cultural phenomenon that has transcended critical acclaim. TWD has gotten such big numbers, they were somehow able to maintain an enormous, manipulative cliffhanger from their last season and parlay that into a gigantic season premiere that no one saw before it aired. That's a rare luxury, and one that I highly doubt Twin Peaks has.
You guys seem to forget that The Walking Dead initially got very good reviews. Frank Darabont was very beloved for making this show happen. The problem is people are stuck watching it now. I remember when everyone was complaining about how they were stuck on a farm and now all I hear from people is how they want to go back there.
heLL paso

Post by heLL paso »

djerdap wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
djerdap wrote:It's interesting that this is MacLachlan's first real leading role since the mid-90s. I reckon he has a lot to show in that area.
That is far from true, although most of those shows never hit the cultural zeitgeist.
Real leading role, meaning the lead actor. He had and has important roles on Desperate Housewives, Sex and the City, Agents of Shield, Portlandia etc., but it's been awhile since he was the main star. Like I said, probably another big motivation for him to prove his chops. Or that he still has it if you will.
He was the lead in In Justice (2006). The show was cancelled after 13 episodes.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I actually liked that season, but I have never heard of anyone wanting to go back to the farm on TWD.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
heLL paso

Post by heLL paso »

It's not that they literally want to go back there, they just want the show to go back to the days when they considered it good (but again, all I heard, back then, from numerous people was complaints about how boring that season was when it was airing. Kind of funny. I'll always be team Shane so it was the beginning of the end for me.).
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I frankly think that with the exception of this disastrous year, TWD has gotten better and better since Season 3 despite people taking it for granted the moment Frank Darabont left. It has a talented cast, writing staff and showrunner which never gets enough credit for having to deal with an overbearing creator behind the scenes who has presided over several major personnel changes and insists on their using his comic book stuff, like the current state of affairs with Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character. The show has always been caught between real quality and its creator's demands, and the demands of the comic book fanbase and the network. It's usually able to balance them, and I hope it will recover in 2017. Anyway, that's way off-topic.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

heLL paso wrote:
djerdap wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
That is far from true, although most of those shows never hit the cultural zeitgeist.
Real leading role, meaning the lead actor. He had and has important roles on Desperate Housewives, Sex and the City, Agents of Shield, Portlandia etc., but it's been awhile since he was the main star. Like I said, probably another big motivation for him to prove his chops. Or that he still has it if you will.
He was the lead in In Justice (2006). The show was cancelled after 13 episodes.
Yes, somebody mentioned it before. I shall thereby change my original point to "with the exception of the short-lived show In Justice". ;)
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Eater of Iguanas wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:
Nevins no longer views the linear premiere as sacred, which explains Showtime’s tendency to offer its season premiere online ahead of their linear debut. “There’s nothing magical for us about getting people to watch it on premiere night,” he said.
Ahh, I think I missed that earlier. That is very telling, and it makes sense. I admit it - advance critics' screenings seem less likely in the light of that.

This really is a new era.

But I'm still willing to bet that we'll see some official reviews before the premiere, even if they're ruthlessly information-free ones that only come out the day of. Anyone want to take me up on it? Losers have to change their avatars to Ed from Northern Exposure for a month.

Thing is, I don't think Showtime has ever had a show with this kind of buzz, so I think there is something "magical" about people watching the TP premiere. It's a unique case, IMO, and I think they'll treat it that way. For one thing, they clearly aren't going to release it online weeks early. But, and we don't need to beat a dead horse, but I still don't think advanced reviews are necessary or helpful in this situation.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

madeleineferguson wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:If Showtime wants new viewers, they're going to need to release some information about the plot of Twin Peaks before May 21st. There's only so many who will tune in because of Lynch/Frost, the cast or the 25 years later factor. People need to know what the show is about before they can make the decision to watch.

I think 2 to 4 weeks before the premiere, there will be a preview screening for a small group of reporters in Los Angeles, and then maybe another one in Europe. I'm not sure if Lynch/Frost would want the press to divulge the basic plot, or if they'd prefer to do that themselves somehow, but something has got to give before May 21st.
They've told us the basic plot: it's about dale cooper's odyssey back to twin peaks.
That plot synopsis would mean nothing to someone who had never seen the show. And even for the majority of people who have seen the original series, that summation doesn't mean much. They've gotta give more than that, especially if they want to attract new viewers.
Most likely we'll have a new murder or other mystery as the 'hook' to bring in new viewers.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

I have a hunch they might keep a tight lid this season on whatever transpired during the last 25 years in the town of Twin Peaks and treat this plot line as they originally intended with Laura's murder killer reveal.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Oh, I hope so. I think the fact that Lynch made a point of mentioning, at the TCAs, that they never wanted the mystery resolved, is a pretty strong indicator that there will be a new mystery at the heart of the new series that will remain unsolved. Given the extent of his creative control and the resources at his disposal, I'm thinking of this as "the definitive Twin Peaks according to Lynch"(and Frost, of course).
I'll see you in the trees
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

krishnanspace wrote:If they dont release a typical trailer how are new people going to watch it?Imagine if a new person just watches the Gordon cole teaser he might think this show is about FBI and doughnuts :D
ha! actually, i would be very happy with such a show and i am hoping both subjects will figure prominently at least.
next step: rocket science!
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

The online reviews are going to be pouring in within 24 hours of the premier. The unconventional release of airing the first 2 episodes, making them available to stream, & showing nothing for another two weeks means that viewers who are driven by reviews might jump on after the initial premier.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

My second post here:

I read a couple of days ago about a film (the new Star Wars maybe?) that used a CGI-version of an already deceased actor.

Sorry if this was already discussed elsewhere (I did not catch up on this entire forum). But could it be (financially) feasible to do a couple of CGI-scenes with Jeffries, MFAP and/or BOB? That would be absolutely awesome.