NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Rudagger »

Needleman's post sums up a lot of my feelings.

Audrey starts off as one of the best characters on the show, but writing put her in a spot where she's one of the most inconsequential characters by the end.

By the end of the run, Donna's arc (dealing with Ben Horne as her father) was more compelling than hers, especially since the writing returned her to her Season 1 normal teenager self (as opposed to her weird overly sexualized stuff in early season 2).

Having said that, I am one of the people who wish Audrey's role hadn't been seemingly (unconfirmed) been replaced by Annie's. Annie's entrance as the near perfect love interest for Coop just as the season needs a damsel in distress for the upcoming finale feels really contrived.

But, as you said, ultimately the pieces were left how they were on the board. It's impossible to unwrite that stuff. And frankly, after 25 years in the Black Lodge, I'm not sure how much interest Coop would have in much of anyone romantically anymore; it's just been so so long.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Great post Needleman. Some really interesting points there. I absolutely agree that the center and the heart of Twin Peaks is Laura Palmer. Those two are synonymous and symbiotic. Audrey is fantastic and very iconic but Cooper and Laura are the faces of Twin Peaks and that's where the main focus should always be.

It will be very interesting and certainly very divisive, when the series airs and people realize how small Audrey's part is. I'm very much looking forward to many people's reaction. After all, there are people who still expect Coop and Audrey to be romatically involved.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Meanwhile, Mädchen Amick is reposting Kyle's twitter post with a pic featuring Cooper and Shelly, and posting a YT link to Lynch's s3 teasing at the Festival of Disruption. The contrast is clear.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

FrightNight wrote:So, Needleman, that's a long way for sayin' you're basically agreeing with me :)
Some things yes, other things no. But that's what a variety of opinion for.

I get exasperated with Sherilyn Fenn's online behavior sometimes, but above all I think she is a passionate and heartfelt person with a wealth of underappreciated talent who wears her emotions on her sleeve and means well even when she goes about expressing things in what I think is the absolute worst way. And I wish she had more to do in the new show, but I don't believe that Audrey's role being minor is a reflection on the larger quality or validity of the creative vision. I feel for her, but I side with the show.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Tony Franciosa

Post by Tony Franciosa »

If the Audrey-Coop relationship had been fully realized, I think it really would have upped the stakes for the finale to have her in teh Black Lodge as Earle's captive instead of Annie. The audience and Coop would have had a character that everyone had serious love for as she had been around since the beginning. instead, we got a shoehorned romantic character that had very little development over a handful of episodes.

It's all what could have been anyway - what we ended up with was still outstanding in the end. Sherilynn's bratty rants really do not make her look good. As others have said, nothing in the way Lynch/Frost went about this new season indicates that they have an aversion to casting women (older women even) in high profile roles.

Twin Peaks for me has always been about Cooper and, most importantly, Laura. If Sheryl Lee was not involved, I'd probably be devastated. Audrey/Sherilynn... not so much.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:Zing.
I really don't get it- she writes cryptic remarks. Then she gets mad when people try to interpret those mysterious remarks.

Her stand doesn't make sense to me- my view is she should either explain exactly what she means or shut up about it in front of us fans.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

Regardless, we just don't know the facts. The details will eventually surface I think. If it comes to light that there is a legitimate issue, then I certainly understand why Sherilyn would be upset or feel powerless. It would be hard to stay off of social media about it, despite contracts or what one is or isn't allowed to say. We tend to reach a point– if something makes us mad enough, the repercussions don't matter so much anymore.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Nightsea wrote:Regardless, we just don't know the facts. The details will eventually surface I think. If it comes to light that there is a legitimate issue, then I certainly understand why Sherilyn would be upset or feel powerless. It would be hard to stay off of social media about it, despite contracts or what one is or isn't allowed to say. We tend to reach a point– if something makes us mad enough, the repercussions don't matter so much anymore.
Yeah, but then don't get mad at the fans when they start to speculate. What does she expect?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

I think–whatever is going on– that Sherilyn is just at the point (and we've all been there), where we're just so upset about something that the notion of remaining cool, calm, collected, and rational is no longer on the table.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I'm not in the US, I didn't watch TP in its original run, I wasn't a part of the whole "Audrey Horne best TP character" and "Audrey & Coop, best TP couple" frenzy. To me, Audrey was and still is very fun and a joy to watch, but never an imperative piece of the TP universe. Laura and Cooper are the heart and soul of TP to me. Kyle MacLachlan and Sheryl Lee were the two "musts" in the new season to me. In any capacity. I can live not seeing anyone else.

No matter what has happened, I think this public outburst is really sad. She seems very unbalanced these days when it comes to certain issues so I wish her all the best.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

More from Sherilyn on Twitter today.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

The more I read about Twin Peaks (eg Audrey subbing in for Josie in Coop's romantic plot, Coop's eventual downfall planned from the start), the more it seems clear to me that the consummation of that romance as originally scheduled would've been a drastically negative turning point for both characters. While I understand the actress Sherilyn Fenn's frustration at losing relevance (a turn of events which imho wasn't a necessary consequence of axing the romance, but still what happened), I think the character Audrey Horne dodged a bullet there.

More to the point, there have been nasty personal attacks to Fenn on Twitter, of the "kill yourself" variety. While I don't hold out much hope that Twitter is gonna do something, I reported them and I would urge anyone who comes across them to do the same.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

laughingpinecone wrote:The more I read about Twin Peaks (eg Audrey subbing in for Josie in Coop's romantic plot, Coop's eventual downfall planned from the start), the more it seems clear to me that the consummation of that romance as originally scheduled would've been a drastically negative turning point for both characters.
I think the mentorship / flirtation could have continued without being consummated, though. The abrupt ending to that friendship sticks out as narratively abrupt, even to a viewer unaware of the off-screen circumstances. There was a way to let the Coop & Audrey dynamic develop (and to have Audrey in the "Annie" role and deal with Coop's subsequent guilt and conflicting feelings) without actually having them consummate the relationship (which, I agree, would be disastrous to Coop in particular). The problem is that the writers at the time seem to have inexplicably viewed it as an "all or nothing" thing.

I agree with others that Fenn's complaints about the interaction between gender bias and ageism in Hollywood are absolutely legitimate, but the personal attacks on Lynch seem petty (unless there's a LOT more going on, which doesn't seem to be the case based on her comments). It's worth noting that, less than five months ago, Fenn used her Twitter to defend alleged domestic abuser Johnny Depp, despite having no personal knowledge of the circumstances (https://twitter.com/sherilynfenn1/statu ... 1099181056). Seems a little hypocritical for her now to take it personally when people are dubious about her own claims, re: Lynch.

That being said, anyone personally attacking Fenn on Twitter deserves to be reported and banned. There is no excuse for that.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

mtwentz wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Zing.
I really don't get it- she writes cryptic remarks. Then she gets mad when people try to interpret those mysterious remarks.

Her stand doesn't make sense to me- my view is she should either explain exactly what she means or shut up about it in front of us fans.
Putting these comments in the public arena is in poor judgement and unfair. It's unfair because she knows very well that Mark and David will not respond. It's unfair to her "fans" because she isn't telling the whole story.

Dear Sherilyn, read your NDA very carefully and remember, word travels quickly in Hollywood.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jerry Horne wrote:. . .because she isn't telling the whole story.

Dear Sherilyn, read your NDA very carefully and remember, word travels quickly in Hollywood.
This pretty much sums it up. Twin Peaks is happening, with or without her continued contributions. But her career, on the other hand. . .ugh.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .