NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Rudagger »

I'd personally rather the show wraps up than risk a cliffhanger that might never get resolved. Who knows what can happen, a lot of the cast is old, Lynch is no spring chicken, hell, maybe the ratings won't be what Showtime expects.

I just look at what the X-Files pulled with their revival (mind you, the quality of that entire run was terrible, but, I do think you're tempting fate by miraculously getting a revival twenty-five years later and then not writing the finale as a semi-closing episode).

Sure, leave a couple dangling threads that you can pick up if you really want to continue, but, I think overall the final episode of the run should feel like closure (which the finale of Season 2 definitely did not .. as it was a cliffhanger designed to be a cliffhanger).

Also, I nearly had a heart attack; you don't mean Michael Ontkean himself is missing? That'd be terrible.

I understand we all know he's not on the show, but, is the implication here that Forster isn't actually a recast and they've instead written Harry out in some manner? Are there rumours now that Ontkean might actually have been able to do it but the plot demanded it be someone else? I'm just curious what's changed, is all, as it seems like there's some new news that I'm missing.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I wonder if some alternate endings will be ready in case ratings are good and Lynch/Frost want to do more?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

N. Needleman wrote:Oh, my God.
I know right? Imagine stepping out of that tent, looking up and seeing that?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

If that's there it can't just be that. Surely.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Kimmy Robertson:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.43.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.43.54 PM.png (253.55 KiB) Viewed 7882 times
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.43.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.43.38 PM.png (684.33 KiB) Viewed 7882 times
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.30.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.30.39 PM.png (360.26 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.30.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.30.25 PM.png (363.67 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.30.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.30.07 PM.png (351.79 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Eater of Iguanas wrote:
Trudy Chelgren wrote:It may be off-topic but, does anyone else actually want this to be the end of Twin Peaks? Not in a 'i hate it why won't it die' kind of way, but in that, as for me at least, I want this next season to have an air of finality about it. Of things coming to an end. Not neccessarily in a depressive Fire Walk with Me kind of plunge into despair, however moving that may be, but I think Lynch at least writes really stunningly emotional closers to his films, even if plot lines still hang at loose ends.

At least in my opinion, if this season ends on a cliffhanger, or even promises more, I'll be disappointed. Sounds perverse I know, but Twin Peaks deserves a truly spectacular ending, and I feel now is the right time.
I'm with you, pretty much. Honestly, my attitude is, "Whatever they want to give us, as long as it's amazing," but my strong impression is they intend this to be a wrap, and that seems the best choice to me. Further seasons means potentially more pressure from the suits to perform to certain expectations and more chances that Lynch gets distracted again. It's hard for me to see him, at his age and with all his interests and commitments, undertaking the exhausting task of producing several hours of high-quality cinematic material every year. Even younger whipper-snappers (like Parker & Stone on South Park, Benioff & Weiss on Game of Thrones) talk about how exhausting running a show year after year is. And I have little interest in a TP with reduced Lynch involvement. All respect to Frost's hard work in keeping the wheels turning, but DL is the magic elixir.

Besides, if S3 is as long as it sounds (my working guess is roughly 18 hours based on tidbits we've heard), that's equivalent to most of the original run (24 hours by my calculation). Plenty of time for us to get satisfaction.

What I would love to see is Lynch (who, budget spat aside, seems really happy with his experience on S3) producing other, shorter work for Showtime. Maybe Ronnie Rocket finally blasts off? Or One Saliva Bubble? I'd enjoy seeing Frost do a show for them, too.
Ronny Rocket (Frost can help him clean up the script if needed). And after that an adaption of Franz Kafka. I could see Frost working with him on both these projects, while they steer more towards Lynch's style than Frost's. After that maybe a well-deserved retirement.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Who needs apartment furniture? I'm going to that on Monday.

Still holding out for a trailer though.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I would hope that Showtime will start selling some of this Twin Peaks swag through more easily accessible channels (their website) for people who can't get out to these very special events? Maybe? Hopefully?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Merch might be online as well Monday. We'll see.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

So, have we all given up on hoping for a teaser today or do some folks still think we might get something at the end of the Festival of Disruption?
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I do doubt a trailer. I'm hopeful for a release date. But as people have pointed out, they wouldn't put up the big illuminated billboard at NYC Comic Con for a merchandise stand. There has to be something larger going on.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

sneakydave wrote:So, have we all given up on hoping for a teaser today or do some folks still think we might get something at the end of the Festival of Disruption?
I can see it now. Julee Cruise joins Badalamenti on stage tonight to end the set with 'The World Spins'. As the song fades, the screen lights up and a crazy all new 60 second promo starts...
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jerry. You just gave me shivers!!
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:
sneakydave wrote:So, have we all given up on hoping for a teaser today or do some folks still think we might get something at the end of the Festival of Disruption?
I can see it now. Julee Cruise joins Badalamenti on stage tonight to end the set with 'The World Spins'. As the song fades, the screen lights up and a crazy all new 60 second promo starts...
Would be perfect!! Except we're not there!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Yeah. They'd likely make everyone in the audience sign a NDA too.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*