Something random I noticed after Major Brigg's abduction

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Something random I noticed after Major Brigg's abduction

Post by StealThisCorn »

So I was watching Episode 19 (one of the less than stellar ones), and when Major Briggs is being debriefed by Harry and Cooper trying to unlock his memories from his disappearance, he breaks down at one point. Now I have never noticed this before, but when as he is saying, almost tearfully, "Is this meant for the soul? My soul?" he touches the tabletop distinctly with his finger and points at it. A wooden table. It might be nothing, but this time I couldn't help but think of it in regards to Josie's later experience in the drawer pull or the theories about the Log Lady's husband and her log. Is this another reference to wood having some ability to contain spirits?

This part of the series' mythology seems dominated by Peyton and (I guess) Frost, with a lot of similarities to Jacque Vallee's take on folklore, Whitley Strieber and UFOs, etc. but this gesture stood out to me all of the sudden, so thought I'd share.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: Something random I noticed after Major Brigg's abduction

Post by hopesfall »

That sounds really interesting. I'm not in the middle of watching the show at the moment, so i'll stick that episode on tonight i reckon and have a look!
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

Yeah it sounds interesting. I also remember Leland (before his death) telling that he was just a hole in a tree in the wood. So it could be a good theory.
Roomservice...
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

For me - it wouldn't have much to do with Josie - Major Briggs was apart from Cooper - the most intuitive character in the Series - more of a connection would be his backwards speaking when Earle shoots him with Haloparidol & the connection is properly made - Jupiter & Saturn & The Dreams. Briggs already knows about the Lodges & that was his first direct experience - wherein he goes through the Lodges, passes the test and goes to the White. Just think Josie goes more to the Black Lodge when she passes
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

This is something I'd already noticed, and I seem to recall discussing it with someone, somewhere.

Evil forces in Twin Peaks can trap souls in wood. The Log Lady's husband and Josie being the two prime examples. It's worth pointing out that Josie is trapped in the Great Northern on the whole, not just a dresser drawer. In a late episode of season two, Ben Horne looks at the fireplace in his office. We then see Pete Martel looking in the fireplace in the Great Northern lobby, and he says "Josie?" Josie's face was going to be superimposed on the fire, but apparently they never got around to it, or decided not to do it.

As for Major Briggs, I have no doubt whatsoever that is comment about the wooden table is made out of fear that his soul will be trapped in it, as other souls have been trapped in wood. As far as Twin Peaks lore goes, I think this is fairly straightforward.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

I've always thought that this is exactly what Major Briggs means. He asks if the wood will be the final place of his soul. Like others said, Josie was there too and she's seen by Pete and Ben near the end of the series. Also there was this piece that was cut out where an asian woman (Josie) is in black lodge and her head is stuck between the curtains. So her head is trapped in the wood of The Great Northern while the rest of her body is in the lodge.

Lately I've been thinking that the whole formica thing from FWWM was the same thing. These black lodge creatures were "trapped" in that formica table (which btw looks exactly like that electrical white noise in FWWM!! think about it! It looks VERY similar there). Something broke the still surface and all hell broke loose in the fifties. Wasn't it Bob Engels who said in recent interview that there were supposed to be a scene where some bugs are doing something on the formica table? We know that the formica table is broken visually from FWWM but that's what MIKE refers too when he screams to Leland and Laura.