Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brie and Butter
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

Post by Brie and Butter »

Never have I been more grateful to be a Trojan!

http://cinema.usc.edu/events/event.cfm?id=13225
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

Post by Annie »

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Take pictures and get autographs and post them here!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Post by thegreatnorthern »

very exciting, video would be great!
cat butt

Post by cat butt »

I thought it was cool when I saw the guests for the first night. Then I saw the guests for the second night! What, and there are still 5 more nights to be scheduled with guests planned for each, I can't take it!
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

That is an absolutely phenomenal line-up. I'm so jealous! But glad that we have a board-member going.... You must come back and give us a summary! Can't wait to see what they have planned for the other days.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Richard Hoover, Carel Struycken and Lenny Von Dohlen added for the third week!

Charlotte Stewart added to week two.

Also, Mark Frost added to week one.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Neosmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by Neosmith »

Too bad I already graduated!

If someone here attends the event, can you please ask Mr. Frost the following question: "Whose idea was it to structure the ongoing story lines using visions and dreams? "
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I'm going to go as well, so will report back! Really looking forward to this, so cool that USC is doing this.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Peggy Lipton added to week two!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Philip Segal has now also been added to week 3, who I believe was the (or one of the) ABC execs assigned to TP. I'm actually excited about this, as it'll be very interesting to get some insight as to what was going on on the network side at the time.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

TheArm wrote:Philip Segal has now also been added to week 3, who I believe was the (or one of the) ABC execs assigned to TP. I'm actually excited about this, as it'll be very interesting to get some insight as to what was going on on the network side at the time.
Funny that Mark Frost doesn't even know who he is.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Week four!

Frank Byers, Tim Hunter, Piper Laurie, Al Strobel, and Mary Sweeney.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"Twin Peaks is a continuing story, and that's from both David & me." - Mark Frost 1/27/13

Besides a possible S3 of #twinpeaks Mark Frost also mentioned that he is speaking with lawyers about release of deleted scenes from FWWM - Twitter

Announced future guests include: Kyle MacLachlan, Sherilyn Fenn, Sheryl Lee, Julee Cruise and more...
Attachments
BBq9FGDCMAA3Ihv.jpg
BBq9FGDCMAA3Ihv.jpg (68.51 KiB) Viewed 14217 times
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Really fun afternoon/evening. We watched the first three episodes in a theater that I would say was just about full. I've never seen the series projected on the big screen, so it was a real treat, and also a treat to watch the episodes with an audience. It looked and sounded absolutely beautiful, and there was an intermission after the pilot where they served coffee (David Lynch's blend, I believe), cherry pie and doughnuts in the courtyard. The audience was a mix it seemed of USC film students and people like me who were just fans of the show.

The Q&A afterwards was really long and insightful. So much so that I honestly couldn't do it justice here. Jerry has already listed 2 of the big highlights, that Mark Frost seemed to imply that there was *something* new brewing creatively re: continuing the story of Twin Peaks, but please note, it was VERY vague. I don't really know what to infer from what he said. And yes, it sounds like there are lawyers out there working to make those FWWM deleted scenes a reality, but again, it's all still very vague. But it is at least nice to know that the wheels are turning out there somewhere and it's not all a lost cause!

Frost, Dunham, Garcia and Zabriskie all had a really warm rapport and seemed genuinely really happy to see one another again. I was really surprised to learn that Grace Zabriskie originally went in for the role of Lucy, how Lynch kept pushing her to go further and further over the top, and Ron Garcia commented on not remembering a lot of the experience of filming the pilot because he wasn't yet sober at that time. He did tell a really funny story about the night they shot the "Bobby, you killed Mike" scene from FWWM, and how Lynch kept getting annoyed that Garcia was lighting it too brightly. Dunham explained that the directors of each individual episodes had Badalamenti's library of cues to choose from, but that each director was also allowed to ask him to compose one new piece for their episode. Mark Frost confirmed that that image that floats across the curtains during the Red Room dream was indeed meant to be an owl, and also never saw the Psych "Dual Spires" tribute episode, nor was he aware of the "Deadly Premonition" video game knock-off. They were all very effusive about their time working on the show and with each other.

Sorry this isn't more specific. I think most of the stories they told we probably all know already, but it was a really cool event and I'm very much looking forward to the next ones. (Feel free to ask about the event though if anyone has questions at all.)