Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Twin Peaks retrospective at USC

Post by dugpa »

Brad D wrote:good luck, dugpa. She is a ghost if there ever was one.

As for LFB - she is absolutely dogged in the tabloids for her physical appearance. That said, I am just guessing it's going to be a stretch to get her to participate in any kind of event. Like her or not, no one deserves that kind of treatment and I'm sure it's dreadful to deal with.
I agree. Despite all the bad press with Kyle, etc. I still think she is awesome and would love it if she were to participate in a Twin Peaks event.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

USC haven't posted any official videos in quite some time. I hope they plan on releasing the rest.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Si78 wrote:USC haven't posted any official videos in quite some time. I hope they plan on releasing the rest.
Two more weeks have been added:

http://trojanvision.com/
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Thank you! These are wonderful.
Brie and Butter
Roadhouse Member

Post by Brie and Butter »

Ferrer has canceled (the tease!) but I'm still psyched for the final chapter. I haven't seen FWWM on the big screen since it was originally released, and the Laura/Leland/Audrey trifecta (to say nothing of a certain Dick!) will be a great way to go out.

Thanks again, Senor Droolcup, for putting this together. It's been a blast.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Yes, a huge shout-out to Senor Droolcup/Alex Ago for what is easily the best TP retrospective any fan could have ever dreamed of. Seriously, I can't imagine this ever being bettered.

This was my first time seeing FWWM on the big screen and with an audience, so that was a treat. The print looked and sounded very good (though some of the dialogue seem a bit too hushed at times). It was especially interesting as much of the audience (a full house) had never actually seen the film before. Definitely not as enthusiastic a reaction as the TV episodes had gotten in the past, that's for sure. There was applause at the end, but much more scattered and muted than usual, but given how dramatically polarizing the film is, I guess that's to be expected.

Panel consisted of Sheryl Lee, Ray Wise, Ian Buchanan, James Marshall, Jennifer Lynch, Phoebe Augustine and Bob Engels (Sherilyn Fenn and Miguel Ferrer ultimately could not attend). I'm sure it'll be posted on here any minute now so I won't go ramble on about the details, other than to say it was as warm and funny and enlightening as any TP panel I've seen. Ray Wise was on great form, and actually watched the entire film from the front row, and afterwards stood up once the end credits had ended and proclaimed "well that was exhausting!"

And Jennifer Lynch seemed to quash any and all rumors that TP could be returning soon by saying that she spoke to her father about the notion recently, and he said it was absolutely not in the cards, a sentiment she said she agreed with 100% (as do I, as fun and cool as the idea of new episodes seems on the surface).

I do have to say though, upon seeing it again and in all its glory on the big screen, good lord that movie is an experience and it is indeed exhausting and draining. Has there ever been a film that is quite so extraordinary, beautiful, and yet so ugly and deeply flawed at the same time?
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I will sure miss hearing about these events and watching new panels! Oy. How soon is the Twin Peaks fest?
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

I am sorry it's over now. It's been a great event indeed. I hope the next event would be the Deleted Scene Event...somehow.
I loved to watch all the retrospectives events at USC. I love the trojan videos. Anybody knows if there is any chance to download all those video (I mean the trojan videos - better quality of course). Maybe those videos won't last forever on the net...I do not know.
Roomservice...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So were the deleted scenes talked about at all at the FWWM event? In general, or about their prospects for a release?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I had to leave partway through the Q&A (once the audience started asking questions of the panel at the mike), but for the hour+ of the panel that I saw, there was certainly discussion of the deleted scenes, but more just about what the content of them was vs. whether they'll be released anytime soon.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

TheArm wrote:I had to leave partway through the Q&A (once the audience started asking questions of the panel at the mike), but for the hour+ of the panel that I saw, there was certainly discussion of the deleted scenes, but more just about what the content of them was vs. whether they'll be released anytime soon.
Thanks for the reply! Anything you hadn't heard about before?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote:
TheArm wrote:I had to leave partway through the Q&A (once the audience started asking questions of the panel at the mike), but for the hour+ of the panel that I saw, there was certainly discussion of the deleted scenes, but more just about what the content of them was vs. whether they'll be released anytime soon.
I noticed this interesting tidbit on the Red Room Podcast Blog recap:

Engels mentioned a lot of scenes that were cut from the script and film, including scenes in Argentina involving Josie Packard and Windom Earle. There was a whole 1950’s sequence of the inauguration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower that was cut.

I'd never heard anything about a Dwight Eisenhower inauguration before. Any other info about that? I'm assuming this was something that may have been discussed as an idea, but never filmed. Maybe somebody who was there last night can confirm if that's the case.

Red Room Podcast link:
http://redroompodcast.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Ross wrote:
I noticed this interesting tidbit on the Red Room Podcast Blog recap:

Engels mentioned a lot of scenes that were cut from the script and film, including scenes in Argentina involving Josie Packard and Windom Earle. There was a whole 1950’s sequence of the inauguration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower that was cut.

I'd never heard anything about a Dwight Eisenhower inauguration before. Any other info about that? I'm assuming this was something that may have been discussed as an idea, but never filmed. Maybe somebody who was there last night can confirm if that's the case.

Red Room Podcast link:
http://redroompodcast.com/
I hadn't heard the Eisenhower bit before either. I'm also assuming it was just an idea that didn't get far. As for Earle, I know there were talks of scenes involving him, but not sure they were ever scripted. Never heard of Welsh filming anything, right?
The Double R
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Double R »

piero wrote:Anybody knows if there is any chance to download all those video (I mean the trojan videos - better quality of course). Maybe those videos won't last forever on the net...I do not know.

I am not sure about a PC but for Mac there is Flash Video Downloader. It only does FLV, but hey its better than nothing.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

piero wrote:I am sorry it's over now. It's been a great event indeed. I hope the next event would be the Deleted Scene Event...somehow.
I loved to watch all the retrospectives events at USC. I love the trojan videos. Anybody knows if there is any chance to download all those video (I mean the trojan videos - better quality of course). Maybe those videos won't last forever on the net...I do not know.

These Q&A's have been a treasure for Peaks fans like us, I sincerely hope they are preserved and archived for all time somewhere. I hope USC (or whomever owns the rights to these recordings, I imagine it must be USC) makes a deal with CBS Home Video to include these on the forthcoming Blu-rays for the series (which,by the way, has all but been confirmed as coming soon according to the Digital Bits http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-r ... tal%20Bits, which is a very reliable site) These Q&A's are the ultimate special features extra, so many stories and anecdotes that even a longtime Peaks fan like me had never heard before, and so many people who were not spoken to or interviewed for the special features for the old Gold Box DVD set. They really deserve to be preserved. Once again, to Alex-- thanks so very much for putting this together. I was lucky enough to attend the screening for the final three episodes with Kyle in attendance, and it was so awesome. And I loved watching all the other ones online.