New Interviews with Julee Cruise, Harley Peyton, and more!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: New Interview with Julee Cruise

Post by qbin2001 »

God, I love those interviews! It's amazing to get all of them after over 20 years after TP's end. Great work, Brad!
Lynch-D
Roadhouse Member

Post by Lynch-D »

Brad D wrote:
after talking with the 3 guys who are credited as writing most of the scripts on this series, there is a world of difference in some of the things they say...but, this is 20 years removed and God knows they dont pour over this stuff like we do.

i think the whole Mike/BOB being from another planet was kicked around by David and Bob, but remember Frost had nothing to do with FWWM. A Twin Peaks universe of David and Mark is a much different thing than with just DL, IMHO.
After spending years lavishing praise on David Lynch it occurred to me recently that most of the things I love about Twin Peaks probably came from Mark Frost. I know right! Twin Peaks provides all the Lynchian flourishes with a (coherent) context and stops them becoming self-indulgent. The last episode works because we care about the characters and the mystery of the Red Room/Black Lodge has built to fever pitch over the course of the series. DL reaps the rewards of (conventional) narrative structure and character development.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Lynch-D wrote:
Brad D wrote:
after talking with the 3 guys who are credited as writing most of the scripts on this series, there is a world of difference in some of the things they say...but, this is 20 years removed and God knows they dont pour over this stuff like we do.

i think the whole Mike/BOB being from another planet was kicked around by David and Bob, but remember Frost had nothing to do with FWWM. A Twin Peaks universe of David and Mark is a much different thing than with just DL, IMHO.
After spending years lavishing praise on David Lynch it occurred to me recently that most of the things I love about Twin Peaks probably came from Mark Frost. I know right! Twin Peaks provides all the Lynchian flourishes with a (coherent) context and stops them becoming self-indulgent. The last episode works because we care about the characters and the mystery of the Red Room/Black Lodge has built to fever pitch over the course of the series. DL reaps the rewards of (conventional) narrative structure and character development.

It's really impossible to know who exactly is responsible for what-but what's apparent to me is that the best moments of Twin Peaks are where Lynch is directing and Frost had a hand in the writing.

I am waiting on approval for my interview draft with Harley Peyton, and I think it will shed more light on the creative process of the show which we have tended to debate a lot over the years. Hopefully I can include it in its entirety.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

New interview up today with Harley Peyton. Not sure if this was ever public knowledge, but Spielberg was in talks to direct an episode! :shock: let me know what you think. Part 2 will be up later this week.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: New Interviews with Julee Cruise, Harley Peyton, and mor

Post by qbin2001 »

Awesome, Brad! Can't wait for part 2! :D
KahlanMnel
Roadhouse Member

Post by KahlanMnel »

LOVE IT! Can't wait to read part 2.

I laughed about how they told David that Spielberg agreed to direct the first episode of season 2 and David was just like "Nah, I'll do it myself. He can do a later one." I mean...it's Spielberg! I love David's chutzpah. :)
"It's good to want things..."
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

there is definitely more lynch chutzpah in part 2... and what the relationship was like between Lynch and Peyton. icy, at best 8)
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Great work on these interviews, Brad. You're getting some really awesome ones!!

Looking forward to Peyton Part II.
Lynch-D
Roadhouse Member

Post by Lynch-D »

Wondrous interview Brad. I especially liked the bit about actors behaving like divas after 18 months. I don't think I've seen anybody mention the letter Spielberg sent ABC asking them to reconsider cancelling the series.

And it's lovely to see you on the board KahlanMnel. Do come back often.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

brad, you made my day. All of these interviews have been amazing. you're doing a top notch job!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Audrey Horne wrote:brad, you made my day. All of these interviews have been amazing. you're doing a top notch job!
Part 2 is now up... he gave his account of the Cooper/Audrey debacle...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great job Brad!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I think it's the best interview about TP I've seen! Fantastic work, Brad! Thank you. And BIG thank you to Harley Peyton!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I agree.

I also love the ease you have with the subject -and the questions develop more organically than forced. You seem to have a nice rapport with everyone you talk to, and it's refreshing to read.

And Peyton gives good interview.

*I knew about the Speilberg possibility -I think I read it in WIP. It was certainly long after the fact though.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Thanks Audrey - that means a lot! the Bob Engels interview literally took me ten months to execute. its a labor of love.

my talk with Harley is probably my favorite one so far. the guy was so razor sharp and frank in his vocal delivery, it was like the ghost of a reserved albert rosenfield. not to mention he was overly generous in his interview. many times i thought he would be done with a question and then dig deeper into the subject - which i am very grateful for. that definitely doesnt always happen.

he said many provoking things, at least for someone who really breaks this show down - and i think that at the end of the day, had lynch and frost together been able to dictate the show their way, things would have turned out much better for the show. you had abc forcing their hand on the murder, and their main star basically vetoing the replacement storyline. that is indeed a rock and a hard place.

credit where its due, harley owned up to the nadine storyline as well as james and evelyn (which in my opinion could have worked on the page but the idea was just not executed well)- but there was not one script that didnt receive its stamp of approval from Mark Frost. the show lived and died by David and Mark, for better or worse.

lastly, i felt his thoughts on the subject of FWWM spoke volumes.