Season 2 or the Complete Set?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Season 2 or the Complete Set?

Post by Annie »

I need some inside information. I don't have any Twin Peaks on DVD. So, help me out. Should I go to eBay to get Season 1 and then buy Season 2 or wait for the Complete Set? Do we really know anything about the Complete Set yet? Which set do you think will have the best extras? I don't have the pilot on DVD, either, which leads me to think more about the Complete Set (any clues on what it will cost?)
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

If I owned stock in Paramount I would say buy both. But in my professional opinion, make that professional onion, Season 1 is different from Season 2 in lots of ways. Season 1 was more focused in that the story dealt with the death of Larua Palmer and this events aftermath. DL and MF were forced by ABC to resolve the mystery in the middle of the 2nd season. So new story lines were started that led many to think that TP became, shall we say, unfocused in Season 2. The quality was very uneven since DL and MF took off to work on other projects and left the show in rather poor hands. I would rather see the eps in order anyway.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I would reccomend against buying the Region 1 series 1 set from ebay just because it is so overpriced (around $60 or more), and you don't even get the pilot. You might well be better waiting for the complete set. As a guideline on cost, Amazon.de currently "Twin Peaks: The Complete Mystery" (Region 2 version, to be released in October) priced at 64 Euros (about $85). As for extras, well I can't imagine there will be anything left out of the complete set.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

Thanks Simon I didn't know that Season 1 was so high!

I just ordered a film David Lynch co-exec produced titled NADJA. I can't spell the director's last name but the film is a remake of DRACULA'S DAUGHTER. DL appears in a scene with the vampire. The director works on DEADWOOD now. The point here is that for a long time this film wasn't available but was recently rereleased on DVD so it's about $10 now. In other words, there's hope.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks, guys, but with Season 2 coming out today, it certainly is tempting! I've been looking at Season 1 on eBay and Amazon dealers. It's all very confusing and frustrating, since my computer is the only thing I have that plays DVDs right now.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

I'd buy both. If you show them there's interest in Season 2, they're more apt to release the entire series box set...
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

I'm surprised how many people don't have the S1 DVDs... Weird.
tj o'pootertoot

Post by tj o'pootertoot »

I thought it was weird too, at first.
But, if I'm not mistaken, S1 has been out of print for a few years now, hasn't it?
So if you didn't get it a few years ago it's been Ebay or nothing.

I bought S2 but I'll "GRRRRR" if they actually release The Complete Mystery with a wack of extras cuz I can't afford the double-dip and I didn't want to wait based on some very cloudy rumours.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

Not sure how long S1 has been OOP, but surely most folks on here are old enough to have bought it when it was released? Well, that was my guess anyway. And of course the fact that it's so readily available in the UK made me unaware until recently that it was OOP in the States.

I don't wanna double-dip either, but I guess I will if they make it worth my while.
EnableSecret
Roadhouse Member

Post by EnableSecret »

Or? I'm gettin' both. :D
Mostly because I can. :lol:
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

I could if I wanted to, too. But, like I said, only if they make it really worthwhile, with some pretty staggering extras.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

If your dvd player is able to playback PAL format dvd's the region 2 season one set is still in print costs around 25$ and includes the pilot.