I need some language help with the "Let's Rock" phrase

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

piero
RR Diner Member

I need some language help with the "Let's Rock" phrase

Post by piero »

Here in Italy the "Let's rock" phrase was translated as "Forza balliamo" - that means "Let's dance". This could be ok especially when Coop explain that Leland danced like the little man from another place did. Anyway my dvd subtitles says "Festeggiamo" that means "Let's party"! The meaning of that is clear to me but I wish I could know what it really means! :roll:
Roomservice...
mtl
RR Diner Member

Re: I need some language help with the "Let's Rock" phrase

Post by mtl »

rock, dance and party. that's the way to live, baby.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

In Poland there was few different translations. "Let's rock" was transated in two ways a) "Tanczmy" ("Let's dance") b) "Zaczynajmy" ("Let's start").

The biggest problem are translations of Mike's Poem.There were at least 5 different translations, and on our polish forum there is ongoing debate what it really means and how it should be translated....
evdama

Post by evdama »

Hi qbin2001
Was the series on TV in PL or have you picked it up from DVD since then.
Was this sort of thing allowed under the communist govenment?

We have some Polish kids at work -theyre "fully westernised" and cant or wont remember the solidarity movement.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

evdama wrote:Hi qbin2001
Was the series on TV in PL or have you picked it up from DVD since then.
Was this sort of thing allowed under the communist govenment?

We have some Polish kids at work -theyre "fully westernised" and cant or wont remember the solidarity movement.
Twin Peaks was in polish TV from 09.03.1991. It was announced as a BIG HIT all over the world. So I watched pilot. Next week I hear that this will be first episode so I thought that will be rerun (I didn't know at that time that pilot is a '0' episode) so I missed it. But next week I watched second episode and I was blown out. I have an obsession with TP and it is my favorite show till this day (despite I watched many, many series till now - now I watch about 10-15 different).

In 1991 there was no comunist goverment anymore. We changed it in June 1989 (before Berlin wall fall - yes we were the first one :-D )

Unfortunetly TP is still not published on DVD in Poland (and european version don't have polish subtiles). So I did my own version with polish subtiles and polish lector soundtrack taken from last rerun in TV (in poland dubbing is only in animations, any film or tv series has a man reading dialogues over oryginal film/series soundtrack - I know it's the only country that did that LOL ;-) ).
Black Rose
Roadhouse Member

Post by Black Rose »

"Let's party!" is probably a better translation than "let's dance!," but "let's go!" or "let's do this!" might be closer still.

"To rock" is a slang term. For example, if you did really well on a test, you could say that you rocked it. If you went to a party intending to be the life of the party, you could say you were going to rock the party. If a song was really good, you could say that it rocked.

Does this make sense?
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

Thank you guys! Thank you BlackRose. Now it's more clear. Sometimes is hard to understand. Lately I've watched FWWM in original english and I have to say that there are a lot of diffrences beetween italian dialogue and english!
Anyway...

This blog ROCKS! :wink:
Roomservice...
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Black Rose wrote:"Let's party!" is probably a better translation than "let's dance!," (...)
I suppose that polish translator meant those dance Little Men is making at the end of scene. And don't forget: Leland can't stop dancing right before Cooper's dream... ;)