Bowie on FWWM?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

d3moliti0n

Bowie on FWWM?

Post by d3moliti0n »

Hi

Has David Bowie ever talked about his small but intriguing and weird part in Fire Walk with Me? It's just something I have been wondering after watching the film. Like, has he ever talked about why he took the role and did he have any idea of the story surrounding the character and if anything further was planned for the character etc.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Re: Bowie on FWWM?

Post by Mb3 »

Good question d3moliti0n. After watching this movie I've also always wondered about Bowies involvement but unfortunately I didn't find any interviews with him concerning Fire walk with me so far. But we'll probably have some luck and somebody from the forum knows something about it.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

There was a press release by the Twin Peaks Press (I think that was the name) where Bowie had a few comments one of which was that the Belt Buckle for his costume was a Frida Kahlo belt buckle which he stole from wardrobe (if I remember correctly)

I'll have to search for the press release as it had some really rare tidbits about the film.

-B
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

I've been going through my Lynch memorabilia and have that press release to hand. The only Bowie quotes I've seen in print were taken from the paragraph below.

David Bowie comments on his experience with Lynch: "It's like watching a 14-year-old who's been given permission to rearrange the world for eight weeks. Invigorating. I highly recommend working with David. He's delightfully and dedicatedly bonkers." As for playing Philip Jeffries, missing FBI Agent, Bowie says: "My character is an intensely over-travelled upholder of the law. He has seen too much and has little ability to do much about it. Not dissimilar to the perspective of a rock god, really." Commenting on his wardrobe in the film Bowie adds: "I stole the belt my character was prone to wear. I've worn it a few times on stage with Tin Machine. It consists of two rather garish portraits of Frida Kahlo. A very "now" item. I'm hoping it will lead to a court case producing massive exposure on CNN. Otherwise, I will sell it to the highest bidder... or Madonna, perhaps."
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
d3moliti0n

Post by d3moliti0n »

Thanks for posting that DigitalGhost, much appreciated and was an interesting read.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

I've enjoyed his music, and wondered what kind of a guy he was. Cool.