How Often Do You Have A Twin Peaks Marathon?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

human germ
Roadhouse Member

How Often Do You Have A Twin Peaks Marathon?

Post by human germ »

i would say that i watch all the 29 episodes as well as the pilot and 'fire, walk with me' twice a year, generally in the fall and spring. seems that it's fresh every time, and i never get bored. and there's always some detail which i've just noticed for the first time.
right now, i'm having a marathon. i've watched the pilot and the 1st 2 episodes.

i should buy some cherry pie filling, lol, and get the percolator going...
done bun; can't be undone
Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

Re: How Often Do You Have A Twin Peaks Marathon?

Post by Sam Howzit »

For several years (1994-1997), I held one annually - The Return the Black Lodge. We started around 12 noon on Saturday and ended with Fire Walk With Me around 5:30 p.m. on Sunday. I held four of them (some coverage in an old issue of Wrapped in Plastic).

I decorated the viewing area to look like the Red Room (even had paper sycamore trees at the entrance). I tried different themes each year - like naming all of the food used/seen in the series or counting the number of times Laura Palmer's Theme was played. Also held a costume contest and inducted someone from the series into the Twin Peaks Hall of Fame. For those who completed their journey, they received a certificate complete with "autographs" from characters from the series. Good times for all. I'm hoping to add a few pics to my Flickr site of previous marathons (will post the link once completed).

I've always wanted to hold the Return to the Black Lodge V. I thought once the series was released on DVD, it would happen. But then I got married (and the Mrs. hasn't been convinced yet that it would be awesome!) :D My son would make a great Little Man From Another Place.

So maybe one day if there are enough Peakers in the central FL area who are interested.

See you in the trees,
Sam
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

gee, that sure sounds like it was a lot of fun indeed. thankyou for going into detail what your marathons were like. i look forward to the completion of your site, so i can see the photos of your parties.

alas, my maratons are solo. i sure wished i knew people who'd have one with me.

btw, my marathons consist of watching a few episodes per day, so it might take a week or more to complete the journey...

i wonder if you had potluck where your guests brough dishes specific to TP?

i've never heard of 'return to the black lodge part V; could you tell me more about that? is it a continuation of TP, as it were?
done bun; can't be undone
smiling

Post by smiling »

twin peaks is all i ever watch for the past year. i prefer to watch fire walk with me on weekends. but during the week, after work i put on a random ep. during eating..the rest of my time is for playing sounds around my bedroom.
kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Post by kim 13781 »

:) Hi I watch twin peaks about twice a year too, every time I go back I seem to pick out something I missed or did'nt quite understand, I never get bored of it I love it
Kim
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

From 1991 to 1997 I watched it maybe three times a year. Then when DVD's first came out in '97 I told myself I would not watch anymore until it came out on DVD. Little did I know it would take so long to release the complete series in one box! So, I did not watch one episode from '97 to '07. Since then, about 3 marathons a year. Doing one now and am at episode 17!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I realize I don't really have to watch it anymore because I have probably every frame devoted to memory. Sad, but true.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

I usually watch it about twice a year, but I am deeply ashamed to say I have not done a marathon since August '08. What is wrong with me?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
BobbyPeru

Post by BobbyPeru »

When I was laid-off for 4 months, I watched it all the way through about 3 times. It's almost embarresing to say, but i can never get enough of it! Even when i finish a marathon, I'm already thinking about starting another one. Before TP was on the air, I used to obsessivly watch Blue Velvet.

I'm very greatful for these message boards, because I got no one else to talk TP/Lynch with. None of my friends or family are Tp fans, and I get ridiculed by my brother constantly. Which is ok in a way, because it makes me feel like I understand something they can't comprehend.

(Now me and the Church Lady can do the "Superior Dance")
"I'm a whole damn town" - Andy
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

welcome aboard, Bobby P!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i rarely watch the entire series from front to back, but from random viewings and such i probably watch it 3 or 4 times a year. some episodes more than others obviously. i also dont think i watched the entire series from around 1998 until 2007. though i did watch quite a bit of the second series bravo rips. thank God for those...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I just rewatched some of the later episodes as a refresher. And I don't know how anyone could do a full marathon of this show- the first half, yes. But the second half is like watching a good friend or love die a humiliating death. It's like a hocky variety show or some USA network sci-fi yarn.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:...the second half is like watching a good friend or love die a humiliating death. It's like a hocky variety show or some USA network sci-fi yarn.
Wow. Disagree with you 100% there! Every time I watch the show, (In order - trust me that helps) I'm more and more impressed with the later episodes of season two. Especially the last six episodes. I even just watched episode 17 last night and enjoyed it more than ever!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I understand. And I know the series practically frame by frame by the numerous times -especially when it aired. And the show is fine for a television show in the second half -just kind of indifferent to it. I think all the actors are terrific and there's lots of little gems to watch, but as a cohesive it just doesn't interest me and think it became too safe, too black and white and paint by numbers in its quirkiness.

There's a magic, a spell that is cast in the first half -especially in the first season- where it's peeling layers away of its characters while never answering any questions, or more correctly solving any human predicaments -and expertly sending up soap operas and vintage films and genres. There's a profound darkness and tension that is unpredictable that is lost on me in the more safe second half of the season.

I love a scene like Bobby's tearful confession to Dr. Jacoby- and it still feels grounded in reality. And I just watched the scene with Ben and Audrey where he tells her about the Kennedys before heading her off to Seattle, then compared it to the One-Eyed Jacks confrontation. To me, it is just from two seperate worlds.

Don't worry, I still love this show beyond anything.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:Don't worry, I still love this show beyond anything.
Good :D

Hokey variety show though? Now now! :wink:

For people who don't like the later episodes, there is at least the excellent music to concentrate on...