Piloting Around the Dilemma of Paranoia

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

boyfromstorm

Piloting Around the Dilemma of Paranoia

Post by boyfromstorm »

i'm beginning to think that a remastered pilot won't happen here in the states. one would think that paramount would have announced something by this point since the release of season 2 is less than two months away. i've never actually seen the pilot. i wanted to get people's thoughts on what exactly they recommend that i do.

i don't own the first season of twin peaks. i was hoping that it would be rereleased, but no one has actually confirmed this.

my dvd player is region free, so what region has the best transfer of the pilot included in their first season? seeing as how the french are finally getting a release of twin peaks on their shores, i assume that the pilot included on their 1st season would look pretty good. should i order the first season from them?

any feedback whatsoever would be warmly welcomed.
goodguyseatpie

Post by goodguyseatpie »

I'm also interested in the answer to this. I have the Hong Kong import of the pilot, which is not good quality at all. I was thinking of getting the season one set from Amazon.uk, which has the pilot, but I would first like to know if the included pilot is of the same quality as the reason of the Artisan transfers.

Perhaps Dugpa knows?
boyfromstorm

Post by boyfromstorm »

i had read somewhere that the uk version's pilot was not of the same quality as that of the rest of the season. in addition to that, i am skeptical of buying it because i believe the ending of the uk pilot is the extended theatrical version. i would much prefer to have the pilot as it was intended to be - a pilot, a pitch to the tv studios.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

boyfromstorm wrote:i had read somewhere that the uk version's pilot was not of the same quality as that of the rest of the season. in addition to that, i am skeptical of buying it because i believe the ending of the uk pilot is the extended theatrical version. i would much prefer to have the pilot as it was intended to be - a pilot, a pitch to the tv studios.
Living here in the UK, I naturally have this version on DVD, and whilst it's fair to say that the picture quality is ever so slightly inferior to the rest of the series, the pilot still looks absolutely fine. In fact, I only became aware of the slight quality differences when watching episode 1 onwards...

As to which version of the pilot it is, I don't know - It's the only version I'm personally familiar with.

If you have a player that will play the UK version, and you want the pilot on DVD, my advice to you is go buy it! :-)
Last edited by Red Room on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I'm trying to confirm the Pilot release. I was told earlier that it would be made available in an upcoming box set containing both Season 1 and 2 to be released by the end of the year.

Hopefully that is still the plan.

-B
boyfromstorm

Post by boyfromstorm »

thank you, dugpa.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

I rented the pilot on VHS and watched it. Very entertaining. I heard that the Korean version out on DVD is woth watching. I have Season One TP on Region 1 and can't wait for Season 2. I am considering waiting until the complete set comes out though. Haven't decided yet.
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

I have the first season, and am awaiting the second season in the mail. My question is, is it truly worth it to buy the Hong Kong version or any other version from Ebay? Or should I wait and hold out for some sort of miracle DVD with the pilot and the theatrical pilot together? (Like I am for the FWWM scenes) I do not want to re-buy the first and second seasons in a box set just to get the pilot.

Also, is there any DVD release with the European/theatrical version out there at all? I haven't seen that ending (with the candles and hospital basement) in years.

Any thoughts/advice?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Hold out. October is right around the corner. I'm guessing an announcement will be out one way or another by August.

-B
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

The R1 S1 pilot is in fact the TV version. NOT the theatrical version. I have both R1 and 2 of S1 so I should know :)
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

boyfromstorm wrote:i had read somewhere that the uk version's pilot was not of the same quality as that of the rest of the season.
I bought the UK season 1 box on eBay for a very good price not long ago.

The quality of the pilot episode is good, but the sound is 2.0 (the season 1 episodes are in 5.1).