NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Venus
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Venus »

twin-b wrote:
Snailhead wrote:
twin-b wrote:I didn't see it mentioned here (might have missed it), but Mädchen on Last Call with Carson Daly last night:

"in the first run of Twin Peaks, I played Shelley Johnson..."
Now Shelley Briggs perhaps?
I'm not clear... is it ok to post spoilerish comments from the actors/promo? I don't think this is a spoiler really anyway, but also don't want to overstep here.
I've been told by a mod that anything said directly by the actors at the moment is fair game, so fill your boots.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

Venus wrote:
twin-b wrote:
Snailhead wrote:
Now Shelley Briggs perhaps?
I'm not clear... is it ok to post spoilerish comments from the actors/promo? I don't think this is a spoiler really anyway, but also don't want to overstep here.
I've been told by a mod that anything said directly by the actors at the moment is fair game, so fill your boots.
"In the first run of Twin Peaks, I play Shelley Johnson who is a waitress at the R&R Diner. But this time around you just don’t know who I might play… cause David Lynch is tricky that way and some people are not playing their original characters.

I’m Mädchen Amick and I’m in Riverdale and PLAYED Shelley Johnson in Twin Peaks." [Laughs]

Interviewer: “That’s such a good clue!” [Madchen continues to laugh conspiratorially and claps her hands together]
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Well, let me be the first (sorry, I can't keep my mouth shut): I'm disappointed with this LOOSE attitude towards the show's continuity and history they're displaying. I said it once and I'll say it again: if that's gonna be their stance, why call it "Twin Peaks" in the first place - it could be literally anything (else). Pilot be damned. There were 29 installments afterwards.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

underthefan wrote:Holy crap! There is so much going on, it's becoming hard to keep up! Hey, remember when people spent 20 pages of discussion complaining about lack of trailer and promo... :lol:
We've gotten something everyday this week and we still have the premiere to go. Truly grateful.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

twin-b wrote:
Venus wrote:
twin-b wrote: I'm not clear... is it ok to post spoilerish comments from the actors/promo? I don't think this is a spoiler really anyway, but also don't want to overstep here.
"In the first run of Twin Peaks, I play Shelley Johnson who is a waitress at the R&R Diner. But this time around you just don’t know who I might play… cause David Lynch is tricky that way and some people are not playing their original characters.

I’m Mädchen Amick and I’m in Riverdale and PLAYED Shelley Johnson in Twin Peaks." [Laughs]

Interviewer: “That’s such a good clue!” [Madchen continues to laugh conspiratorially and claps her hands together]

Not going to lie. While I'm open to some interpretation I really will be a bit bugged if some iconic characters are playing different roles. Shelly being one of them. I don't want some Inland Empire character confusion.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

indyit wrote:
Did you watch the original seasons again?
No.

Why not?
This is ... You know, I can't answer that. Sorry [laughs].
Hmm. I might be reading into this too much but this seems to build on the retconning from tshotp and that this season might play with that as well.
Finally catching up with today's Twitter stuff, the many new TP articles, GMA, Dugpa. So strange to see TP all over the place.

The new pics in the NYTimes article are great. Grace and Sheryl!

So I guess Neither Lynch or Frost reviewed the old series... That's the only thing that worries me a little. With all the contradictions in Frost's book, maybe there really is a story reason why reviewing the old show details wouldn't matter? Maybe there's something to the altered/changed reality idea. Or maybe continuity just wasn't a priority?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

"OK, similarly, in that same final episode, the Man From Another Place – actor Michael J. Anderson – says, "When you see me again, it won't be me." What can you say about that?
That it's more true than you think [laughs]."

My take on this is that the one armed man will have his arm back.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
twin-b wrote:
Venus wrote:

Not going to lie. While I'm open to some interpretation I really will be a bit bugged if some iconic characters are playing different roles. Shelly being one of them. I don't want some Inland Empire character confusion.
I will feel very similar to you. If they do do this, I am sure it will be done very cleverly but I would be massively disappointed. But I'll wait to see.

Good Morning America - sorry if I missed it but here is a link to it online if you've not watched it (and if it's not already been posted!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhZd2Ws3WZw
Last edited by Venus on Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Agent Earle wrote:Well, let me be the first (sorry, I can't keep my mouth shut): I'm disappointed with this LOOSE attitude towards the show's continuity and history they're displaying. I said it once and I'll say it again: if that's gonna be their stance, why call it "Twin Peaks" in the first place - it could be literally anything (else). Pilot be damned. There were 29 installments afterwards.
continuity would seem like cheap fan service to me.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:"OK, similarly, in that same final episode, the Man From Another Place – actor Michael J. Anderson – says, "When you see me again, it won't be me." What can you say about that?
That it's more true than you think [laughs]."

My take on this is that the one armed man will have his arm back.
I thought the same thing when I saw the latest promo - the person walking alongside Cooper looks a lot like Al Strobel with his left arm back.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
twin-b wrote:
Venus wrote:

In the new promo, you can see Gia Carides mouth to Madchen "Shelly, who is it?"
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Fans tend to be overly concerned with strict continuities. This makes sense for genre fiction, but Twin Peaks is more about the artists' creativity -- spontaneity and tone. While I think they'll be concerned with the main plot points, they're not going to worry about strict allegiance to minutia.

As for actors not playing their original characters, I think this is an obvious reference Bob-Coop.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Audrey Horne wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Well, let me be the first (sorry, I can't keep my mouth shut): I'm disappointed with this LOOSE attitude towards the show's continuity and history they're displaying. I said it once and I'll say it again: if that's gonna be their stance, why call it "Twin Peaks" in the first place - it could be literally anything (else). Pilot be damned. There were 29 installments afterwards.

This sounds like a ill advised comment. Why would having character and plot details match up from the first two seasons be a "cheap fan service"

All I'm personally asking for is that the characters are the same. (At least on earth) and some details like for example Lucy being pregnant or Bobby killing a guy are kept intact. Not that fan servicy to me..
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:

This sounds like a ill advised comment. Why would having character and plot detaisl match up from the first two seasons be a "cheap fan service"

All I'm personally asking for is that the characters are the same. (At least on earth) and some details like for example Lucy being pregnant or Bobby killing a guy are kept intact. Not that fan servicy to me..
Having exact continuity just might not be Lynch and Frost's priority.

Note that the Christian gospels have a load of inconsistencies between the various books. I've never found a Christian who was bothered by those 'continuity' errors, and neither should we be bothered by the inevitable continuity errors (if such a concept exists inside a show that can be interpreted as living inside a dream).

This is myth making on a grand scale, some of the details are subject to change without notice.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

ha - sorry it was just a throw back tongue in cheek comment, a joke.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?