Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: RE: Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
djerdap wrote: They weren't actually created by fans, they surfaced for the first time as German titles for the episodes when they aired on German TV. So the German titles got translated back to English and became the "official" titles for the episodes on the Internet.
They only became "official" because some fans thought they were the original episode titles. But they're not official and they're terrible.
If Showtime is using them, they're official now.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by djerdap »

Ross wrote:But no one connected with the show came up with those German titles.
Yeah. German TV does that for all shows, including those that have titles. They often don't do direct translation but make up their own thing.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

mtwentz wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
djerdap wrote: They weren't actually created by fans, they surfaced for the first time as German titles for the episodes when they aired on German TV. So the German titles got translated back to English and became the "official" titles for the episodes on the Internet.
They only became "official" because some fans thought they were the original episode titles. But they're not official and they're terrible.
If Showtime is using them, they're official now.
Showtime's site also shows the one-armed-man in the Red Room in the season 2 finale. Obviously put together by someone with limited knowledge and/or concern. Until Frost or Lynch weigh in, or we get an Lynch-Frost-approved home video release that - unlike EVERY release in the past 25 years - includes those titles, I certainly don't buy that the Showtime site is gospel.

Furthermore, the episode descriptions there are verbatim from those posted at Recap.com in 2003. Whoever put together the Showtime pages made ZERO effort. http://recapguide.com/recap/75/Twin-Pea ... pisode-22/
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

OK,Bob wrote: Showtime's site also shows the one-armed-man in the Red Room in the season 2 finale. Obviously put together by someone with limited knowledge and/or concern. Until Frost or Lynch weigh in, or we get an Lynch-Frost-approved home video release that - unlike EVERY release in the past 25 years - includes those titles, I certainly don't buy that the Showtime site is gospel.

Furthermore, the episode descriptions there are verbatim from those posted at Recap.com in 2003. Whoever put together the Showtime pages made ZERO effort. http://recapguide.com/recap/75/Twin-Pea ... pisode-22/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

They really do suck.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

OH GOD, THEY PUT UP TITLES, THE SHOW IS RUINED!!!!! Come on guys... it really makes no difference at all
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Major Briggs wrote:OH GOD, THEY PUT UP TITLES, THE SHOW IS RUINED!!!!! Come on guys... it really makes no difference at all
I am so fucking sick of seeing people mock others online with this childish hysteria act while obviously feeling superior for no better reason than they agree with their own opinion. You think the likes of "May the Giant Be With You" and "On the Wings of Love" are befitting the show, then good for you. Thanks for taking a good ol' internet dump on our incorrect opinion.

And they are not official titles.

[Preemptive apologies to the moderators.]
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Major Briggs wrote:OH GOD, THEY PUT UP TITLES, THE SHOW IS RUINED!!!!! Come on guys... it really makes no difference at all
No one is saying that at all. Just that it's really annoying that fake titles that were made up by people with zero connection to the show have inexplicably become semi official.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

May the Giant be With All of You
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Im not saying I like them. I'm saying it doesn't make any difference whatsoever in the experience of watching the episodes the fact we have or don't have titles.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

That doesn't mean they suck less.

We're not saying it's the end of the world, we're saying we don't like them. Why that puts you out so much is your problem.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

N. Needleman wrote:That doesn't mean they suck less.

We're not saying it's the end of the world, we're saying we don't like them. Why that puts you out so much is your problem.
Like I said before, I also think they're crap. That doesn't mean I'll go and unleash the dogs on Showtime just because they decided to go with it. You could put "Lost in a Red Room" for Episode 29 and it still wouldn't change absolutely anything about the experience of watching it
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Major Briggs wrote:

Like I said before, I also think they're crap. That doesn't mean I'll go and unleash the dogs on Showtime just because they decided to go with it. You could put "Lost in a Red Room" for Episode 29 and it still wouldn't change absolutely anything about the experience of watching it
Is anyone in the streets with pitchforks?

I wish you'd just admit your real problem is with the board and the people on it instead of constantly coming up with new and flimsy things to try to argue about so you can play at being the rugged individualist.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

N. Needleman wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:

Is anyone in the streets with pitchforks?

I wish you'd just admit your real problem is with the board and the people on it instead of constantly coming up with new and flimsy things to try to argue about so you can play at being the rugged individualist.
Sure Needleman, like always, you're right and every opinion that it's not like yours is wrong. Merry Christmas.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I'm not going to get into a crazy argument about it on Christmas, but yeah, I think some of the episode titles are a little goofy.