Differences and error correction between original version and french traduction of the Final Dossier

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

samhayel

Differences and error correction between original version and french traduction of the Final Dossier

Post by samhayel »

Hello,

I own an original version and a french traduction of The Final Dossier, and this afternoon, I have discovered that at least 2 important differences exist between these 2 versions :
- In the french version, the Annie birthdate has been removed (no mention of 1973 anymore)
- No mention either of the Horne Brothers being with Cole, after the disapperance of Cooper in the boiler room.
- Donna arrives in New York in 1989, not 1992 (and it is specified that she just turned 18).

I will search for other differences. It seems to me like a will of erasing the continuity errors of the book.

So here is my question : is it just the case in the french traduction, or is there a more recent english edition of TFD with these errors removed ?

(Sorry for my english ;)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Differences and error correction between original version and french traduction of the Final Dossier

Post by eyeboogers »

samhayel wrote:Hello,

I own an original version and a french traduction of The Final Dossier, and this afternoon, I have discovered that at least 2 important differences exist between these 2 versions :
- In the french version, the Annie birthdate has been removed (no mention of 1973 anymore)
- No mention either of the Horne Brothers being with Cole, after the disapperance of Cooper in the boiler room.
- Donna arrives in New York in 1989, not 1992 (and it is specified that she just turned 18).

I will search for other differences. It seems to me like a will of erasing the continuity errors of the book.

So here is my question : is it just the case in the french traduction, or is there a more recent english edition of TFD with these errors removed ?

(Sorry for my english ;)
Interesting, is the name of the french translator credited? The simplest way to know would probably be to write an e-mail to this person.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Differences and error correction between original version and french traduction of the Final Dossier

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’d imagine the French publisher also has an editor. Perhaps it wasn’t the translator who made these changes, but an editor reviewing the book for publication? That would make more sense to me than the translator taking it into his/her own hands.
samhayel

Post by samhayel »

You're right, I could send an email to the editor (the name of the translator is not indicated).

By the way, I found another difference in the new timeline, Ronette has been brought in the cabin, not in the railroad car.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Someone could also try asking Mark on Twitter if he’s aware of any changes and whether he approved them.

That 1973 birth year for Annie drove me nuts when I was editing my timeline! Does your edition still say she was 12 in 1985?
samhayel

Post by samhayel »

If only these changes could give him the idea to publish a revised version of the book, it would be great !

I just checked and when Norma discovers that she has a half-sister, there is no mention of her age anymore. No more 12 years old in 1985 :)