'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Post by eyeboogers »

PsychoFox wrote:I don't get the point with Becky: why some people here seem to believe she would have died in the show ?

I don't remember her last scene. Is it with her parents at the Double R ?

Thanks.
We now know that she did not die thanks to the book. On the show Steven is with Gersten out in the woods. He is in a bad way, and it appears as if he shoots himself at the end of the scene. He has been talking about how "...she made me do it", things like that. In earlier episodes we have seen the explosively negative effect the Sparkle drug is having on him, he is turning violent. In one episode he throws a coffee cup out the window of their trailer. Carl Rodd and Cyrus Ponds look at the trailer in that episode with Steven and Gersten in the woods, and the hole caused by the coffee cup has been boarded up, but there is what could be a bullet hole penetrating through that board.

It would be easy to imagine a storyline going forward with Bobby and Shelley having to deal with the death of their daughter. And what would happen when they found out that Shelley's new bad boy boyfriend/drug dealer/magician Red played a big part in causing it to happen.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

laughingpinecone wrote: 1. straightforward way out: Tammy is left wondering why Audrey didn't test for paternity because she doesn't know about JJW, but Audrey does, and so do we (like Vivian and Annie eminently proved between TSHOTP and TFD, not mentioned does not equal retconned). As far as Audrey knew, she only had sex that one time, got pregnant, there was really no need to test for paternity.
Assuming Audrey and John didn't protect themselves, like classical pregnancy stories in TV shows.
Burns's Suite

Post by Burns's Suite »

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive unfortunately, but one question. Does the book touch on the 1991 crime scene where the original dossier was found or the circumstances around it? Or has Frost left that mystery open?
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Yes, it explains what the original crime scene was.
Burns's Suite wrote:I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive unfortunately, but one question. Does the book touch on the 1991 crime scene where the original dossier was found or the circumstances around it? Or has Frost left that mystery open?

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Yes, it explains what the original crime scene was.
Burns's Suite wrote:I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive unfortunately, but one question. Does the book touch on the 1991 crime scene where the original dossier was found or the circumstances around it? Or has Frost left that mystery open?
Wait, does it? I think two different thinganare being conflated. We know
Spoiler:
it was found at the site of Ruth’s murder, which was not 1991. TSHoTP says the dossier was found in 2016, but may relate to a 1991 investigation. We never learn what that 1991 investigation was. I assume it to be the murder of Briggs, which was of course 1989 and therefore another continuity error.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Based on the finale and what's discussed in the book, do we feel the existence of a second timeline where Cooper tries to save Laura and she disappears is no longer a possibility? Tammy exists in the primary timeline and the changes seem to be having a slow wash-out effect on the past, with the memories becoming hazy and the material being different, in that reality. Is there anyone that still sees this as a second timeline "bleeding" into the primary timeline? Trying to make sense of this still. I still find it hard to believe that they undid Laura's death in the most literal sense, which would be factual if there is only one timeline. It's confusing because she had to have died to lead Cooper to this place in time/space to try to save her in 2016 but I'm not sure how I feel it retroactively changes the main timeline AFTER he goes back.

I see Odessa, TX in an alternate dimension/reality, since the rules of "what happened, happened" seem to course correct to some degree and Laura can't be alive again in our reality, since she died. So she is alive but only can be alive if she's in a different reality. And subsequently, our primary timeline was altered as a result, right? Help!
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Ah yes, you are correct (down there in the spoiler thing). I was strictly thinking about where the dossier was found, which is made clear.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Yes, it explains what the original crime scene was.
Wait, does it? I think two different thinganare being conflated. We know
Spoiler:
it was found at the site of Ruth’s murder, which was not 1991. TSHoTP says the dossier was found in 2016, but may relate to a 1991 investigation. We never learn what that 1991 investigation was. I assume it to be the murder of Briggs, which was of course 1989 and therefore another continuity error.

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Well, I've finally got around reading the book and I absolutely loved it.

One burning question: who could be Ba'al? have we encountered an embodiment of him?

I know that in light of part 8 this could be a stretch, but could it be BOB? And did the 'marriage' between him (Leland) and Judy (Sarah) create something far more perilous (Laura and ultimately the Odessa-verse)?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Think you are spot on there... there is even a little nod in the FD to Bob being BeezelbOb (Baal).
Soolsma wrote:Well, I've finally got around reading the book and I absolutely loved it.

One burning question: who could be Ba'al? have we encountered an embodiment of him?

I know that in light of part 8 this could be a stretch, but could it be BOB? And did the 'marriage' between him (Leland) and Judy (Sarah) create something far more perilous (Laura and ultimately the Odessa-verse)?

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Think you are spot on there... there is even a little nod in the FD to Bob being BeezelbOb (Baal).
Soolsma wrote:Well, I've finally got around reading the book and I absolutely loved it.

My mother, God rest her soul, thought 'Bob' was a reference to Beezelbub back in 1990.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

without reading through 40 pages... can someone sum up what did or didn't happen to Laura? a bit confused...
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote:
DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Think you are spot on there... there is even a little nod in the FD to Bob being BeezelbOb (Baal).

My mother, God rest her soul, thought 'Bob' was a reference to Beezelbub back in 1990.
I've recently caught wind of a rumor -on facebook, would be nice if any dugpa special agents could confirm this- saying that the person whom doppelCoop was on the phone with in part 2 was in fact voiced by Grace Zabriskie. Maybe this is where both "You're going back in tomorrow, and I will be with Bob again." and “I missed you in New York,” finally start making sense to me. So maybe Judy wants to be with BOB again, only rather without the Doppelganger. However, the playing card he shows seems to imply that he (and therefor BOB?) is looking for Judy as well. Once more, I am very puzzled as to what the intentions of these strange are. What game are they really playing?

Could it be the owl symbol not respresents Judy as often speculated, but rather that which came out of the marriage?

And why was BOB born from 'experiment' (Judy?) as shown in part 8? I guess I should maybe reference my signature (from TSHOTP) here. Female simply came first.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I've recently caught wind of a rumor -on facebook, would be nice if any dugpa special agents could confirm this- saying that the person whom doppelCoop was on the phone with in part 2 was in fact voiced by Grace Zabriskie. Maybe this is where both "You're going back in tomorrow, and I will be with Bob again." and “I missed you in New York,” finally start making sense to me. So maybe Judy wants to be with BOB again, only rather without the Doppelganger. However, the playing card he shows seems to imply that he (and therefor BOB?) is looking for Judy as well. Once more, I am very puzzled as to what the intentions of these strange are. What game are they really playing?

Could it be the owl symbol not respresents Judy as often speculated, but rather that which came out of the marriage?

And why was BOB born from 'experiment' (Judy?) as shown in part 8? I guess I should maybe reference my signature (from TSHOTP) here. Female simply came first.
I thought Frost said somewhere Bob was not born from Judy necessarily. Or did someone here say that? I get confused sometimes.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

mtwentz wrote:
Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

I thought Frost said somewhere Bob was not born from Judy necessarily. Or did someone here say that? I get confused sometimes.
I am fairly sure I have never heard/read Mark Frost say anything to that effect.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Haven’t seen anyone mention this: the “case number” that appears on every heading page in the book ends in “119.”