'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Re: Final Dossier Spoilers

Post by DoppelBocker »

Hawk also mentions Leland killing Laura but not specifically when he found this out. There are a few continuity glitches throughout season 3 (telephone pole placement, FWWM encounter with Annie in dream happening after diary given away not before as Season 3 seems to imply, ect.). I think a case can be made all of S3 is but 1 of many timelines that have occurred as a culmination of many attempts made by the Dreamer over the years to change something in history that can't be changed (Coop doesn't know about Purgatory realm until Laura whispers secret in ear and is promptly torn away).

Is it future or is it past Mike asks Coop over and over again as various iterations of his dreaming self leave the lodge on some assignment...

That's my current rationalization anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, Audrey Horne kind of disappointed about her backstory in the book. Doesn't explain how she's at the roadhouse yet in a white room at the same time.

I also kind of felt it maybe better she not have ever met Richard as at this point Richard's gone and minimizes distractions from a story perspective as things move forward storywise.
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by Terence »

The audiobook for The Final Dossier says it is temporarily out of stock on Amazon.co.uk when l look at my pre-order.

I also just looked at Amazon.com it is not in stock there either..

I take it means no Amazon site has got the audiobook in stock yet so they can't ship it to anyone?

My order for the book itself on Amazon.co.uk says its in stock on November 2nd.
But its in stock on Amazon.com now.

Something seems to be odd going on with getting this released so far.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by The Archivist »

The official release date for the US is today, 31st of October
The official release date for the UK, on the other hand, is the 2nd of November. But it's already available to purchase at Waterstone's, I bought it last night and cancelled my Amazon pre-order.

Regarding the audiobook CD, I guess they simply run out of stock - a word of advice: the book is narrated entirely by T.P., therefore it would be an audiobook with only one actor, not as interesting as The Secret History's, so I guess you can save the money if you want :D
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Post by Jerry Horne »

Book is out NOW. Spoilers permitted.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

The Annie epilogue is corny to the point of being embarrassing. If that was Mark's best idea for her, I'm glad she was just swept aside in Season 3.

Interested in reading more tonight though. Particularly the back third of the book.
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

I just listened to the whole audiobook (since the audible version was the fastest and easiest to get in my country) and so much of it made me think "how exciting it would have been to read that in The Secret History"... It's still pretty exciting to have so much new information, but now that there are no plans for another season, it feels weirder to get emotionally involved in what happened to those characters...

Anyway, I won't spoil anything here yet, since there are so many subjects to discuss, but for one dangling question, more about the book itself than its events:
There's a whole part devoted to the log lady's passing, but in the audiobook version (I haven't got my hands on any written version) they keep referring to her as Margaret Coulson: is this a mistake, or a deliberate decision from Frost to merge the Character and the actress in one name? Maybe he has spoken about this in pre-release interviews, sorry if this has been mentioned before.
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

Troubbble wrote:The Annie epilogue is corny to the point of being embarrassing. If that was Mark's best idea for her, I'm glad she was just swept aside in Season 3.
I get why you feel that way, but I actually found it entertaining because of how meta and creepy the very end was: having her repeat "I'm OK" once a year like a broken doll (although a very slow one) feels like her character is lost in limbo, partly because of the fans who'd been complaining The Return wasn't answering Cooper's last line from season 2 which had been left dangling for 25 years. Making that "answer" be literally the only thing she does for the rest of her life (which of course kind of negates how ok she's pretending to be) feels like she's being punished by our frustration.

I don't know if this is deliberate fan trolling, but it made me smile, just like when Tammy tells Gordon she will "spare him the details" of the James/Evelyn storyline which made me smile and felt like another wink at the audience.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I wish that the majority of the information in this book had been included in the Secret History. Had I known the fates of some beloved characters from the original series, I would have been less distracted and better able to appreciate the Return on my initial viewing.

The ending of the book does feel like another set up for Season 4, a timeline in which Laura Palmer was never killed.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

Shelly Johnson chapter, page 15:

"Of all the personal stories I've now surveyed in Twin Peaks, Shelly seems one of the luckiest ones. But then, as you well know, Chief, most stories have more than one act. I'll return to this one - and to Deputy Briggs - presently".

But the book never follows up on this...!
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

Frost writes on page 45 that Annie was born in 1973, and then on page 49 that she came to Twin Peaks (which would have been in 1989) in her early twenties... so the criticism of The Secret History didn't sharpen up his attention to detail.

He does manage to write his way out of the inconsistency in Norma's backstory... though one might ask why Tammy Preston would feel she had to tell Gordon anything about Vivian Smythe.
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

I don't think this was included in the book, at least not in the digital copy. https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 2559500288

It's a flyer/card that appeared to be for a memorial at the Roadhouse in 1994, to mark the 5th anniversary of Laura's passing (disappearance? :shock: ). I guess it was tweeted in some promotional picture from Flatiron so most of us just assumed it was from the Final Dossier.

That's definitely one thing this book didn't really have a lot of compared to TSHOTP, the "found media" aspect like newspaper articles, book excerpts, letters, etc. This one was definitely much more text focused, which I'm not complaining about. I found it to be nice easy read about the lives of characters who've been speculated about for decades, and did give some greater context for some of the events of The Return.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Just read the book. It's very slight. What happened to Annie is not interesting, it just felt like it was going through the motions ("I waited 25 years for that?)". Similarly what happened to Audrey in the book is much less interesting than what we see on screen. The Donald Trump reference was highly amusing and a fun callback to Nixon in the first book, and I liked the "Hotel California" reference. Overall though, there was little artistry in the book, and it felt more like an RPG sourcebook than a novel.

The book seems to indicate Steven and Becky both survived, if so that's a dumb way to resolve a cliffhanger on screen. Weird.
Last edited by Manwith on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Does the book really not address why Shelly and Bobby split up?
Spoiler:
And it outright indicates Laura disappears and didn't die in the original timeline?!
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Does the book really not address why Shelly and Bobby split up?
Spoiler:
And it outright indicates Laura disappears and didn't die in the original timeline?!
Spoiler:
Only the Blue Rose agents remember the original timeline. The town residents of Twin Peaks seem to have a foggy memory of what happened but remember Laura was not murdered. The newspaper records show Laura only went missing, Leland did not kill her.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Manwith wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Does the book really not address why Shelly and Bobby split up?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Only the Blue Rose agents remember the original timeline. The town residents of Twin Peaks seem to have a foggy memory of what happened but remember Laura was not murdered. The newspaper records show Laura only went missing, Leland did not kill her.
Spoiler:
Wow! So it there a second timeline or was the original timeline written over and the history was also altered in the original timeline? It sounds like the latter.