The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Post by dronerstone »

wow. my jaw just dropped.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

I can't lie, I'm just as excited about this as I am the new series. :D
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

hopesfall wrote:I can't lie, I'm just as excited about this as I am the new series. :D
Me too...I hope there is an official UK release, no info on amazon.co.uk as yet.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I just got through the grind of sitting through the Secret History audiobook, where the monotone actors read every number, header, and signature for every annotation, as well as in some cases talk to themselves, having to interject the name of the people they're reading for every three words when they switch, not to mention numerous flubs and obvious cold readings -- and I am incredibly excited for Sheryl Lee reading stream of conscious to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. Her turn as Laura in FWWM is one of the most impressive, immersive performances I've ever seen.

I think Secret History is the better book overall, but it lends about 10% well to being spoken aloud, and its audiobook poorly produced and a cash-in based on market value assessments. Whereas, on the inverse, with this coming up, I think this will probably be the definitive version of the Secret Diary.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I'm totally in agreement with AXX°N N about Sheryl Lee, both in terms of her FWWM performance, as well as her audiobook performance. Just by listening to those few clips, you can tell she really put an effort and heart into this work, rather than just treating it like a cash grab. The experience of listening to the whole thing will be pretty amazing, and I'd even go as far to say that the book might get more appreciation, even from those who are not fans of it.
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

I was just about to read the book for the first time, but, after listening to those clips, I feel like I might be better off sitting in a dark room and letting the audiobook do the work.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I am on the fence as to whether to buy the audiobook or not. I read the book back in '90, and I still remember a lot of what is in it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Btw -- hope this isn't too off-topic -- I noticed for the first time while watching FWWM yesterday that a couple of pages from The Secret Diary appear onscreen! I'm sure other people have freeze-framed this before, but I don't recall seeing it discussed. When Laura notices that pages have been ripped from her diary, two of the pages shown when she flips through the diary are word-for-word from the beginning and end of the second-to-last undated entry in Jen Lynch's book (in which Laura talks about a session with Jacoby). The other entries shown (the torn page, and a full page where she discusses the rainy weather in Seattle and says she is afraid of catching a cold because she would miss work) are not from the book.

I wonder if Sheryl hand-transcribed those pages, since she has said she carried the book around with her on set. What a great prop that notebook would be to own!
I might've taken some screen captures and posted them on the late Twin Peaks Gazette forum, or at least I remember wanting to do so. Perhaps we had some discussions about it but I think the DVD quality was too low for any good examination.
Now as there is the blu-ray release I've been thinking about revisiting those pages but as I can't take screen captures because I don't have a blu-ray player on my computer I haven't gone further with it.

Cool to know those pages really are from Jennifer's book! (or maybe it was known back then but right now I can't remember this having been confirmed before)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Woah, that preview :) Sheryl still got it!!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

mtwentz wrote:I am on the fence as to whether to buy the audiobook or not. I read the book back in '90, and I still remember a lot of what is in it.
The same here. That book scarred me! It also locked me in as a lifelong Twin Peaks fan! Back before FWWM, it was shocking to have a full throttle 18-rated tie-in novel to what was basically a 12- to 15-rated TV show. I think reading the book also had me prepared for the style of movie FWWM was in a way a lot of the non-diary readers weren't. It certainly showed often unexpectedly dark sides to the TV show characters.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Again: Definitely buying it, not sure how much of it I can listen to.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Sheryl Lee is so wonderful. Can't to wait to see her in the new series.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Decent spoiler there about SL?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Wow, that preview got me even more excited about it than I already was, if that's possible. Sheryl Lee still got it, and she is as lovely and beautiful as ever! I'm swooning.