The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
Does TSHOTP add or subtract from the ring as a poetic device so you think?
I think that the ring is used too much in TSHOTP. I do find the theory surrounding Laura's innocent love with the necklace, in contrast to the darkly marital and seemingly dooming ring is, regardless of the creators' intention, to be really powerful.

In TSHOTP, where the ring is handed from 'Famous Person A' through to 'Famous Person Z', along with the unfortunate parallels with Lord of the Rings, (it has been joked about, but the way people fondle it, and it passes around? It really does remind me of fan fiction. Particularly the scene where Jack Parsons mutters part of the poem before L. Ron Hubbard) I think it does lessen it's poetic impact. I always liked the thought that the ring was something to tie Laura, (and Teresa) down to a sad fate, not put her in some kind of banal lineage of historical characters.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
Does TSHOTP add or subtract from the ring as a poetic device so you think?
I think that the ring is used too much in TSHOTP. I do find the theory surrounding Laura's innocent love with the necklace, in contrast to the darkly marital and seemingly dooming ring is, regardless of the creators' intention, to be really powerful.

In TSHOTP, where the ring is handed from 'Famous Person A' through to 'Famous Person Z', along with the unfortunate parallels with Lord of the Rings, (it has been joked about, but the way people fondle it, and it passes around? It really does remind me of fan fiction. Particularly the scene where Jack Parsons mutters part of the poem before L. Ron Hubbard) I think it does lessen it's poetic impact. I always liked the thought that the ring was something to tie Laura, (and Teresa) down to a sad fate, not put her in some kind of banal lineage of historical characters.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree

Still, it will be interesting to see how Lynch handles it in Season 3 working with Frosts ideas
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

Hi everyone,

I suppose the dossier itself will have no critical importance in the S3.
Twin Peaks is a TV series basically. Any books for a movie/series/etc are just addons (I mean if one isn't based on a book). And now since the S3 is main point, even the original series goes as addon, sort of (forgive me for such a sacrilege :roll: ).
That is SHOWTIME wouldn't run the new series if it'd be necessary to read any book before watching that. In fact even strict necessity of original series watching before the S3 would be sort of troublesome referring to ratings since there is a risk some young audience wouldn't watch old series first.
So my thoughts are we'll probably catch some slight mentions about "an odd dossier filled with forgeries". Therefore I'm not sure we're really going to see Tamara Preston as kind of central character or just a character ever. Maybe just some mentions about like Diane in S1-S2.
I'm not X-files fan but... damn, the truth is really out there!
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

DEniZZrus wrote:Hi everyone,

Twin Peaks is a TV series basically. Any books for a movie/series/etc are just addons (I mean if one isn't based on a book). And now since the S3 is main point, even the original series goes as addon, sort of (forgive me for such a sacrilege :roll: ).
That is SHOWTIME wouldn't run the new series if it'd be necessary to read any book before watching that. In fact even strict necessity of original series watching before the S3 would be sort of troublesome referring to ratings since there is a risk some young audience wouldn't watch old series first.
So my thoughts are we'll probably catch some slight mentions about "an odd dossier filled with forgeries". Therefore I'm not sure we're really going to see Tamara Preston as kind of central character or just a character ever. Maybe just some mentions about like Diane in S1-S2.
Even though I agree the book will have little to no significance to the overall plot of the new season, Frost has hinted during his Reddit AMA that we will see Tamara Preston.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

The connections exist.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

The range of possibilities between "required reading" and "insignificant addition" is as vast and nuanced as the sea.

Personally, I can count on the fingers of one hand the conversations on TP I've had since October that did not draw on TSHOTP's added vision.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

And as for discrepances...
I tend to "other dimension" stuff though concerning as many others it's pretty Fringe-style things (although I love 2-3 seasons).
There're two essential symptoms not in favor of all that as just a forgery thing.
1. The typewriter picture (My faithful Corona) shows such a model apparently doesn't exist in "our" reality (referring to details mentioned above in the thread if I got them right).
2. Not only the Archivist's notes or documents in the dossier contradict to the known plot details but even TP's annotations, viz about Leland never being charged for Jacques Renault murder, so whole the trial sequence s fallen out.
Last edited by DEniZZrus on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not X-files fan but... damn, the truth is really out there!
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

DEniZZrus wrote:The typewriter picture (My faithful Corona) shows such a model apparently doesn't exist in "our" reality (referring to details mentioned above in the thread if I got them right).
That's my understanding too, but wiki tells me the 'qwertz' (vs 'qwerty) key layout is standard for central Europe... Has this been discussed? (Apologies if it has!)
I'm not too familiar with typewriters, but would this model of Corona have had a European standard model? (Mordeen, I remember you having knowledge in this area, any help?)
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Maybe the question is why the archivist is using a European/German typewriter? Operation Paperclip have something to do with it? Not that I'm implying Briggs was a nazi...
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

DEniZZrus wrote:

I don't know. We'll see. But my take is that since Frost and Lynch both wrote season three, Frost most likely put things into his book that tie directly into the third season. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised to see things that show up in the new season that, having read the book, mean more and make sense given what's in the book. I don't think Frost would've written a whole bunch of episodes, then gone and written a bunch of irrelevant stuff into the book. There may even be things in the book that "spoil" the new series, we just don't know it yet because nobody has seen the new series.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

much as the secret diary "spoiled" series 2
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Mordeen wrote:The connections exist.

-Mordeen
It Would be fantastic¡¡
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

LonelySoul wrote:
DEniZZrus wrote:

I don't know. We'll see. But my take is that since Frost and Lynch both wrote season three, Frost most likely put things into his book that tie directly into the third season. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised to see things that show up in the new season that, having read the book, mean more and make sense given what's in the book. I don't think Frost would've written a whole bunch of episodes, then gone and written a bunch of irrelevant stuff into the book. There may even be things in the book that "spoil" the new series, we just don't know it yet because nobody has seen the new series.
Yes! If you asked a cat to write a prequel novel for something the cat knows but we don't, I'm sure even the average feline would manage to work in a few inconspicuous details that only retroactively gain relevance.
And there's the fact that Frost heavily hinted at it during the Reddit AMA (paraphrasing, "are there moments in the book that will feel surprising once we know the series?" "I hope so!").
But it's that basic.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I don't know about "critical importance", but we know Agent Preston is in the new series. And Frost wrote the book after writing the series. I think it's unlikely that she's going to discover Twin Peaks as if she's never heard of it before or something like that.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I don't think the content of the book will be of critical importance throughout the whole series but I feel it will certainly enhance the whole experience of watching it, in a positive way.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.