The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dale_coop
Roadhouse Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by dale_coop »

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but I found something quite interesting, about the idea of one eye ("1" "I")… Jacoby and Nadine.
If you reproduce the experiment of Nadine's sight with Jacoby glasses, as written in the book :
RedFilter.jpg
RedFilter.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 10328 times
Wearing red and green glasses and close your left eye, seeing with a red filter, the entire book is quite different.
No more Tamara Preston analysis, the book is exactly the Dossier as TP received it, as The Archivist made it. Maybe with the red filter, it's the vision of Twin Peaks character's side (… as it will appear in the Season 3 ?)

I found this funny ;)
dale_coop
"A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee"
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

dale_coop wrote:I don't know if it was mentioned before, but I found something quite interesting, about the idea of one eye ("1" "I")… Jacoby and Nadine.
If you reproduce the experiment of Nadine's sight with Jacoby glasses, as written in the book :

RedFilter.jpg
Wearing red and green glasses and close your left eye, seeing with a red filter, the entire book is quite different.
No more Tamara Preston analysis, the book is exactly the Dossier as TP received it, as The Archivist made it. Maybe with the red filter, it's the vision of Twin Peaks character's side (… as it will appear in the Season 3 ?)

I found this funny ;)
I noticed this also!

And when you look at the cover of the RR menu, the RR logo disappears from the artwork
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

CompletelySilent wrote:Hello all! My name is CompletelySilent(as it sounds like an interesting quote on the surface without context, but is also the words of the great Nadine Hurley) and I am excited to join this group of swell Twin Peaks fans here. I have an idea based on some of the last posts on this forum about the lost pages of Laura Palmers diary and Annie. Maybe the chain of events was Leland in FWWM having the ripped pages with him in Glastonbury Grove, but the page saying that the Good Dale is in the lodge was dropped or something near the circle. Months later during the Season 2 finale, Annie finds the page as she is being brought into the Black Lodge by Windom Earle. At some point during her journey into the lodge, she travels through time to Laura's room and tells her to write down that page. It creates a circular structure of time between FWWM and the original run of the show with the hope that it helps Coop get free(and maybe even Annie and/or Laura as well). Something that could be a narrative point for Season 3 and beyond(or this isn't the case and Lynch/Frost write something that his probably better than this idea).
I always assumed that if the other movies happened, that would've played into it. I wouldn't be surprised if that ship has sailed though, just due to 25 years having passed (if you're playing with a circular time loop and stuff, you really need the leads to all be the same age, otherwise you're looking at casting younger versions, or trying to exposit a pretty complicated time-travel thing). Particularly with the whole take/don't take the ring stuff, it felt like they were trying to play with the idea that Coop was starting to try to mess with the past to get out of his own fate. But, who knows.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:Some of the interpretations of TSHOTP are pretty interesting, but the writer seems like he is having some serious mental issues. Might be reading a little too much into it all. That said, I did find speculation about this countdown timer pretty interesting:

http://www.falseprophet-hq.com/

Do you think this countdown timer could really be linked to Season 3 somehow?
The symbol does look kind of similar to the one on the spine of the new book.

Countdown takes us up to Midnight Jan 27th/28th morning?
Good links, thanks![/quote]

Hmmmm....

Now I feel like i'm getting paranoid.
How did you calculate this date? Because when I count -- I get 10:10 am February 16th...

Is that date significant to anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSqDMqCJQw

Yeah. Pretty weird co-incidence huh. I went back to check the blog I found the website on:
http://onechancetwinpeaks.blogspot.com.au/

Just bored and clue hunting basically. The end of the blog is the video of Phillip Jeffries, and I watch that bit and Cooper says 'It's 10:10 am, February 16th. I was worried about that date because of a dream I had.' So then I just thought... what if that was the date. Went back to the countdown did the math and .... boom.....

Now i'm almost certain that this website is linked to Peaks.
Someone said they tracked the hosting to Paris? Wasn't some of Season 3 supposed to be filmed in Paris?
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

krishnanspace wrote:
DLodge wrote:Hello!
First time posting with this new account

It's probably been remarked upon before, but the "ending" of "Briggs'" part of the dossier implies that it takes place very recently after season 2, but earlier remarks about Catherine becoming a recluse, and Ben Horne holding vigil by Audrey's bedside implies that a significant amount of time has passed

Any thoughts?
Also about the Hank Jennings murder,that happens in 1992.Did major Briggs time travel into the future?

Ill admit, that's pretty confusing. Feeling like an inconsistency to me.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

tausendsassa wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:Some of the interpretations of TSHOTP are pretty interesting, but the writer seems like he is having some serious mental issues. Might be reading a little too much into it all. That said, I did find speculation about this countdown timer pretty interesting:

Good links, thanks!

I think it's just a red herring. But semi interesting all the same.
The domain of the countdown website is registered to someone in Paris:
https://www.whois.com/whois/falseprophet-hq.com

Was there supposed to be some Season 3 filmed in Paris? Or did I make that up?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Yes, they were shooting in Paris.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

a few stray thoughts while I remember (sorry for length and not going back to find quotes):

- the audiobook is well worth spending an audible credit on, for anyone who hasn't already. michael horse and whoever voices preston are especially good, and that's robert knepper doing milford right? I agree with whoever said that it's likely a cold reading due to the flubs (natuary, clark desmond, also at one point someone reads "it's" as "I.T.'s") and tamblyn's hilarious random emphases.

- as for cooper not sounding very coopery, I wonder if this is a combination of trying to represent cooper adopting a writerly tone for this account, and the fact that it's supposed to be a minor "reveal" that this part is being written by cooper.

- I don't know if the dialogue between briggs and milford at the end being read by a single actor saying "briggs:" or "milford:" to signal the switch has any significance, but I found it annoying as hell.

- the book itself is in the grand tradition of epistolary novels where eg a diarist will actually write out "what the--" when startled, and I think it helps to see it as following certain genre conventions (the classic novels but also that whole strain of "the tape ends here"/"I pray no-one finds this" c20 pulp/weird fiction) and sort of go along with the fact that it often won't make strict sense in terms of tone/content matching up with the kind of document it purports to be. TP's interjections often don't feel right for an official govt report (and the fact that they appear to be in real time, except when they aren't, is frankly ludicrous) and the archivist(s) will simply narrate large swathes of the story without supporting documents which is arguably abandoning the format to suit, but both work fine & serve a story purpose. Frost is also smart enough to chuck in a few unreliable narrator cues here & there for the reader to do with as she pleases.

- it's funny how the two big mysteries as presented initially are, um, tamara preston's name (who gives a shit) and the identity of the archivist, which, come on, I knew 100% it was briggs from the moment I started the book. nobody else would have made any sense whatsoever, and he starts the book with a display of semantic exactitude (bordering on pedantry) that's near-identical to one of his most famous bits of dialogue (secrets/mysteries=dreams/visions). just find it amusing to think of people reading along with a notepad like hmmm local knowledge that's a clue, aha! security clearance, another clue, hmmmmmmm I must think on this a little more

- I like the book a lot and I'm glad to see people come around at least partially (did that one angry dude ever get his mum to repurchase it? lol) although like many my eyes start to glaze over at so much x files roswell stuff. lord knows where exactly his mind is at with all the contradictions (I think some of the internal inconsistencies probably are just mistakes) but I have a feeling all the "clues" have been discovered at this point, namely: i) the inconsistencies themselves (esp the cheeky pete line) are a neon sign indicating that something's going on here; ii) the cute 3d glasses easter eggs; iii) picture of typewriter -> typographical 1/I quirk -> two forged documents & hidden message in bookhouse photo. I certainly don't think the whole novel is this intricate code for reddit detectives to crack and discover the plot of the new series, although some stuff will probably make more sense after we've seen it.

- reference to a planned ghostwood prison seemed a little shoeHorned in, so I think odds are decent we'll see that location in the new series

- jacoby makes the remarkably specious assertion that rape & incest simply don't happen, ever, in indigenous societies (this is in support of a simplistic critique of modern culture); I hope we're supposed to take this as another example of jacoby being a stupid hippie who fetishises "exotic" cultures and not mf's own belief. it's well-documented that twin peaks, not to mince words, had something of a race problem and part of this did involve some hokey native american stereotypes. other times they were surprisingly progressive for the time and frost is obviously an enlightened dude but some of us will be looking to the new series with some nervousness (although I don't think we'll get another tojamura at least!)
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I saw on Reddit that the website was supposedly promotional material for a Donnie Darko re-release. Twin Peaks and Donnie Darko can be quite similar in some respects, so I can see how people can get mixed up. One of the illuminati pages I found on it accepted 'darko' as a password, so....

Also the timer/countdown has apparently been reset and changed a few times in the last few years, could mean something, or it could mean nothing.
Dalai Cooper wrote:
- reference to a planned ghostwood prison seemed a little shoeHorned in, so I think odds are decent we'll see that location in the new series
This is actually most likely a throwback to the Access Guide. Theres a page in it about a proposed Ghostwood prison, so it's probably just fan service. Shoehorned fan service nevertheless. Would be interesting to see though.

By the way, "shoeHorned"? Impressive.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Dalai Cooper wrote: - jacoby makes the remarkably specious assertion that rape & incest simply don't happen, ever, in indigenous societies (this is in support of a simplistic critique of modern culture); I hope we're supposed to take this as another example of jacoby being a stupid hippie who fetishises "exotic" cultures and not mf's own belief.
Yeah, that part was my biggest WTF moment, I too hope the same.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Good links, thanks!

Hmmmm....

Now I feel like i'm getting paranoid.
How did you calculate this date? Because when I count -- I get 10:10 am February 16th...

Is that date significant to anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSqDMqCJQw

Yeah. Pretty weird co-incidence huh. I went back to check the blog I found the website on:
http://onechancetwinpeaks.blogspot.com.au/

Just bored and clue hunting basically. The end of the blog is the video of Phillip Jeffries, and I watch that bit and Cooper says 'It's 10:10 am, February 16th. I was worried about that date because of a dream I had.' So then I just thought... what if that was the date. Went back to the countdown did the math and .... boom.....

Someone said they tracked the hosting to Paris? Wasn't some of Season 3 supposed to be filmed in Paris?[/quote]

I'll be honest how it went down so we can assess the weirdness accurately. I clicked the link real quick at work just to see what's up.

It was right before my post on the 16th of Nov. 2:43 pm

My Midnight calc is absolutely correct, as it was 2:30pm ish and there were 9+ hours on the meter. That math was easy and I can stand by it.

I went to post my finding but wanted to double check so as not to look foolish. Since that site gave me the willies (work comp and all) I wrote the numbers down instead of looking at the screen and the calculated it again.

So I am absolutely sure of midnight, but concede I could've missed a day either side. Believe it was 73 days on the ticker and I did 73days-14 (days left nov)-31(jan) to get the day in January. Again, willing to concede a day -- but not off by the 19 days or so from your findings.

This tickers definitely been jiggered after I went there. I was hoping for a Start Date -- midnight on a Friday seemed cool, for something. I know SHO isn't gonna premiere this during the graveyard shift.

And midnight for me is interesting --- 10:10 am for you. I'm in the Eastern US time zone and we are off by 10+ hours, date aside. Any chance you're in India and the counter didn't geo-sync or whatever that process is?

Its breadcrumb time now.

Anyone else do the math and get a date? Date of viewing is key.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

ok just went back there.

MIdnight is correct (for me)

I am currently in Eastern US time zone -- 11:13pm. it had O hours, 47 mins and whatever secs.

Day left are 80. Which is 3+31+31=65 and 15 make midnight on Feb15th/16th morning.

So we still have the 10 hour, 10 mins difference to figure out.

I cannot explain the diff in days originally -- unless something comes up I gotta take the hit but it's still in play that the site was altered.

More interested in cracking this code than being right anyway!!
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:ok just went back there.

MIdnight is correct (for me)

I am currently in Eastern US time zone -- 11:13pm. it had O hours, 47 mins and whatever secs.

Day left are 80. Which is 3+31+31=65 and 15 make midnight on Feb15th/16th morning.

So we still have the 10 hour, 10 mins difference to figure out.

I cannot explain the diff in days originally -- unless something comes up I gotta take the hit but it's still in play that the site was altered.

More interested in cracking this code than being right anyway!!

Dafuq?
Somebody is trying to mess with Peaks fans, at the very least.
I'm in Australia, so I don't know what the time difference is, but the countdown is running to 10:10 Feb 16th here.

What's really weird for me, is that I watched the Phillip Jeffries video almost randomly, independently, then came back to check the website. I never recorded my thoughts about it until I posted here.

10:10 am. February 16th..... Even if it has changed like you say, then it's like the maker of that website read my mind or something??

On a side note someone on reddit hacked the password for the timer;

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... o_the_new/

If you put 'oneeyedjack' in the password box you get to another external window. I don't know what to make of this. It seems very unlikely to have anything to do with Lynch/Frost productions. Confusing as hell though.

Is that what people refer to when they mean 'synchronicity'?...... Or has the universe just played a prank on me.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

The logo on the first screen is growing additional triangles too
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Just read the latest update from a redditor. They link to this page:

http://www.falseprophet-hq.com/level1/

Plenty of Peaks imagery here. Including the words 'the document is a forgery' relating to the sale of the Packard Mill.

The images move really fast but if you right click on the page and press 'forward' or 'rewind' it slows it down and you can see the individual images. Very weird. One has Philip Jefferies standing with his hand on a TV which is showing the image of a white horse in the Lodge. He is flanked by the mask that the jumping man wears on either side of him with a blue rose above his head. It appears to be some sort of tarot card maybe as the word 'death' is written on the bottom.

This HAS to be related to the show surely? Or just a bored fan having some fun? Hmm...
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*