The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

beano
Roadhouse Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by beano »

i was listening to the recording of the mark frost event at powells in portland on welcome to twin peaks and was surprised to hear him now describe lana as "miss twin peaks 1989, or at least the runner up" at about 11:14. is he now changing his tune?
http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/video/mar ... nd-oregon/
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Is Kyle referring to the alien that Nixon and Milford saw??Cause they had the same experience
JumpingMan

Post by JumpingMan »

As much as I'd like parsons to be the real identity of mike, parsons blows off his right arm. I'm pretty certain mike lost his left arm.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

JumpingMan wrote:As much as I'd like parsons to be the real identity of mike, parsons blows off his right arm. I'm pretty certain mike lost his left arm.
100% certain it was the left arm, with a "tattoo on the left shoulder". I see parallels with the characters, but wouldn't equate Parsons and Mike, myself.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

A couple of things:

I'm not an expert like some of you guys are. I've seen the series twice, the movie three times, the Missing Pieces twice, and watched many of the extras. Some of you watched it when it aired and have had decades to muse about it, whereas I only finally saw it in maybe 2011 (after owning the Gold Box for an embarrassing number of years, just sitting on the shelf). I find it amazing how much detail you guys are able to keep in your heads -- the sheer volume of information to remember from the show contained in the two seasons, movie, books, deleted scenes, interviews, etc. is pretty daunting. This is the first piece of supplemental "Twin Peaks" content I've read and I really, really liked it. Not to accidentally slight Frost here, but it's a surprisingly contemporary book, in that it reads like an ARG, except it's 300+ pages worth of it and you don't have to tool around on the internet to find what bits of it exist.

I saw some confusion about the location of the Fat Trout trailer park. Personally, it seems to me that in establishing a fictional place in a real place, geography is always going to be somewhat vague and potentially inaccurate by definition. Is it feasible to have a definitive location for it as opposed to a general one in relation to other places? The change from northeast to northwest in the pilot adds some confusion there but this is one of those details I suspect can't be completely clarified.

Laura being 18, I'm willing to write off as it's just a number; you can interpret that as her having lied to Jacoby or him covering for her. I buy it as a mistake as it's not an elaborate rewrite like Norma's mom or Norma and Ed's backstory.

I did notice one actual typographical mistake in the printed book, I believe in the document from Jacoby about Nadine's psychological state after being shot in the eye, where a little segment about the glasses he wears is duplicated.

Anyway, I had a question. I've definitely decided to do this, as I've already bought a second copy of the book, so it's not a request for opinions about whether or not this is a good idea, just a question about the book:

Does anyone remember any references to who killed Laura Palmer outside of Jacoby's letter of remorse and/or Tamara noting accuracy in the margins? I have a friend who is a huge history buff (she works in a museum). She hasn't seen the series and I think she'd enjoy getting into it by reading a certain amount of this book, then watching the series and movie, then returning to finish the book. I think I would probably tell her to stop at Agent Cooper's first report on Josie Packard. Some of the minor details I think will read as fun connections between the book and show coming to it as an outsider but obviously the reveal of Laura's killer should be kept intact as something to be experienced through the show, so if anyone has any awareness of references to that reveal before the Josie Packard dossier, that'd be helpful.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

tylergfoster wrote:A couple of things:

I'm not an expert like some of you guys are. I've seen the series twice, the movie three times, the Missing Pieces twice, and watched many of the extras. Some of you watched it when it aired and have had decades to muse about it, whereas I only finally saw it in maybe 2011 (after owning the Gold Box for an embarrassing number of years, just sitting on the shelf). I find it amazing how much detail you guys are able to keep in your heads -- the sheer volume of information to remember from the show contained in the two seasons, movie, books, deleted scenes, interviews, etc. is pretty daunting. This is the first piece of supplemental "Twin Peaks" content I've read and I really, really liked it. Not to accidentally slight Frost here, but it's a surprisingly contemporary book, in that it reads like an ARG, except it's 300+ pages worth of it and you don't have to tool around on the internet to find what bits of it exist.

I saw some confusion about the location of the Fat Trout trailer park. Personally, it seems to me that in establishing a fictional place in a real place, geography is always going to be somewhat vague and potentially inaccurate by definition. Is it feasible to have a definitive location for it as opposed to a general one in relation to other places? The change from northeast to northwest in the pilot adds some confusion there but this is one of those details I suspect can't be completely clarified.

Laura being 18, I'm willing to write off as it's just a number; you can interpret that as her having lied to Jacoby or him covering for her. I buy it as a mistake as it's not an elaborate rewrite like Norma's mom or Norma and Ed's backstory.

I did notice one actual typographical mistake in the printed book, I believe in the document from Jacoby about Nadine's psychological state after being shot in the eye, where a little segment about the glasses he wears is duplicated.

Anyway, I had a question. I've definitely decided to do this, as I've already bought a second copy of the book, so it's not a request for opinions about whether or not this is a good idea, just a question about the book:

Does anyone remember any references to who killed Laura Palmer outside of Jacoby's letter of remorse and/or Tamara noting accuracy in the margins? I have a friend who is a huge history buff (she works in a museum). She hasn't seen the series and I think she'd enjoy getting into it by reading a certain amount of this book, then watching the series and movie, then returning to finish the book. I think I would probably tell her to stop at Agent Cooper's first report on Josie Packard. Some of the minor details I think will read as fun connections between the book and show coming to it as an outsider but obviously the reveal of Laura's killer should be kept intact as something to be experienced through the show, so if anyone has any awareness of references to that reveal before the Josie Packard dossier, that'd be helpful.
Major Briggs also states that Leland Killed Laura during the final pages of the dossier
K26dp

Post by K26dp »

Jerry Horne wrote:Saw Mark tonight in Portland.

He said "You are going to like where Hawk ends up".
Mayor Tommy "Hawk" Hill.
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

krishnanspace wrote:Major Briggs also states that Leland Killed Laura during the final pages of the dossier
As that happens after the Josie Packard report, it's not a problem.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Finished this last night and loved it. At times I was a bit perplexed and frustrated with the incessant focus on UFOs and Millford, but it had a great payoff in the end.

So, the outcome of the bank explosion was laid out for us. Loved the little touch that Pete helped shelter Audrey from the blast. Here's my question: Given that the expectation was for ABC to greenlight a 3rd season, do you think Pete would have been written in as surviving as well? I think Nance's death was the only thing that really forced Frost's hand in ending his storyline at the bank, but what are your thoughts? It's one of those questions I would love to ask Frost.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

mujubuju wrote:Finished this last night and loved it. At times I was a bit perplexed and frustrated with the incessant focus on UFOs and Millford, but it had a great payoff in the end.

So, the outcome of the bank explosion was laid out for us. Loved the little touch that Pete helped shelter Audrey from the blast. Here's my question: Given that the expectation was for ABC to greenlight a 3rd season, do you think Pete would have been written in as surviving as well? I think Nance's death was the only thing that really forced Frost's hand in ending his storyline at the bank, but what are your thoughts? It's one of those questions I would love to ask Frost.
I really couldn't see Lynch killing Pete off out of choice, given his working relationship with Nance. I reckon a hypothetical season 3 would, like season 2, have seen Pete in hospital for the first episode. Who knows, Andrew might even have survived too, only to fake a second death.
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

That hypothetical Season 3 premiere would probably look a lot like the Season 2 opener, with half the town in the hospital. Pete, Audrey, Ben, Annie and maybe even Andrew.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Henrys Hair wrote:
mujubuju wrote:Finished this last night and loved it. At times I was a bit perplexed and frustrated with the incessant focus on UFOs and Millford, but it had a great payoff in the end.

I really couldn't see Lynch killing Pete off out of choice, given his working relationship with Nance. I reckon a hypothetical season 3 would, like season 2, have seen Pete in hospital for the first episode. Who knows, Andrew might even have survived too, only to fake a second death.
I like the idea of The Giant or some other supernatural force stopping time and removing Pete and Audrey before the blast occurs.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

book & audio finished

time to go to page 1 here and began a day of digging :)
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Mace wrote:I think The Archivist will turn out to be Major Briggs.
wow you nailed it

i know i know
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

had to skip to the last few pages...so much disappointment about the books gaffes or whatever you want to call them
THE BOOK IS AMAZING

i know i know