The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JumpingMan

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by JumpingMan »

Two twin peaks, two worlds, two lodges. Could the waiting room be the pathway between both? Perhaps the black lodge and the white lodge are not rooms but two different versions of the world, seperated by a catastrophic event. Burroughs always believed that the atom bomb eviscerated people's souls, and he invented the lodges (and he was due to play Dwayne milford).
I wouldn't be surprised if this dossier is garland Briggs attempt to work out where the two worlds split, using contradicting documents either found or collected from the black and white lodges, and attempting to find chronology.
It might be that we see some crossing over beteeen the two worlds in series 2...
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Soolsma wrote:Who is Shiels voicing in the audiobook :?: :?: :?:
Well, seeing how she's not voicing TP, there's another female voice that does Margaret and Audrey...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

Jerry Horne wrote:Saw Mark tonight in Portland.
He said "You are going to like where Hawk ends up".
"You might remember Lana Milford, Miss Twin Peaks 1989".
Woah...could it be? Hawk as The Sheriff of Twin Peaks PD like he always deserved? Probably not but that's still exciting to hear from Frost. I like Hawk so much.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

JumpingMan wrote:Two twin peaks, two worlds, two lodges. Could the waiting room be the pathway between both? Perhaps the black lodge and the white lodge are not rooms but two different versions of the world, seperated by a catastrophic event. Burroughs always believed that the atom bomb eviscerated people's souls, and he invented the lodges (and he was due to play Dwayne milford).
I wouldn't be surprised if this dossier is garland Briggs attempt to work out where the two worlds split, using contradicting documents either found or collected from the black and white lodges, and attempting to find chronology.
It might be that we see some crossing over beteeen the two worlds in series 2...
I like this theory!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

What's the significance of the chant? We know Mike and Bob say it. In the book Jack parsons also says it. As for the Ring the following people wear it:
1.Meriweter Lewis
2 Jack parsons
3 President Nixon
4 Teresa Banks
5 Laura Palmer
6 The nurse
7 Desmond and Geferies just came in contact with the ring. Don't think they wore it
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jerry Horne wrote:Saw Mark tonight in Portland.

He said "You are going to like where Hawk ends up".

"You might remember Lana Milford, Miss Twin Peaks 1989".
If he said those exact words about Lana it means there is an alternative time line out there. We don't remember Lana winning Miss Tp, but maybe she did win in another timeline/universe
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

krishnanspace wrote:Also what did all the names of agents on the computer indicate? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there two agents in the book? One is Tamara and the other is the one to whom the dossier is assigned
The names of the agents all seem to relate to blue rose cases/mysterious disappearances.
Gordon Cole
Phillip Jeffries
Chet Desmond
Sam Stanley
Windom Earle
Dale Cooper
Albert Rosenfield
And with the exception of one notation about the mill closing and being sold, every note within the book is marked -TP so I think there is only one investigating agent. Discounting the pair discovered the dossier.

krishnanspace wrote:One more thing I noticed:
INTEROFFICE MEMORANDUM

Background:The content of this dossier appears to have a relationship to an investigation conducted in northwest Washington State........ my command at the time.

Gordon can only know that the dossier contains information about Twin Peaks and Lauras investigation,if and only if he has read it or someone else has read it and told him.
And it could just be that he opened it and flipped through it/someone else flipped through it to catalog all documents within but didn't read all of the Archivist notes, or the case was reminiscent of those prior cases. For example, if a young girl was found with something under her nail Gordon would relate it without ever opening the dossier. Or if it was discovered near Twin Peaks, that could be another reason.

From the next letter by Gordon
Field Agents ---------------- and -------------- discovered dossier while on assignment in ----------. It was recovered from a crime scene that is still classified as unsolved and may have relevance to a previous crime or crimes in 1991 that is similarly classified.
The dossier also contains a symbol on the outside cover that Gordon may already known of, or may have been in Coopers notes, and connected without ever having to open it.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

laughingpinecone wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:I see the spirits as intrinsically tied to humanity, representing and nudging some aspects of our nature. So what did people do before 1950?

And... in broad strokes, TSHOTP says that some forces within the US government are aware of these supernatural forces and that people have been researching them all over the place. I think this could be part of s3.
They can be intrinsically tied to humanity without being from this dimension. And I think the US govt may be aware of aspects of the Lodge entities, but that doesn't mean they understand it. IMO Project Blue Book on the show often seemed to be looking in the wrong place.

Either way, none of that shit Engels and Lynch worked on for FWWM but didn't shoot may ever come up again and it's not canonical, so who knows what the ballgame is now. For now it's all just speculation. I'd like to see some of it but I expect nothing.
Oh yeah, having an extradimensional nature isn't in opposition to their symbolic aspect - and it's almost as vague as saying that these characters come "from another place", anyway. I'm only perplexed by the 1950 origin story :lol: The book straight-up says that they have always been around, so that specific possibility should've been discarded and I can rest easy, I guess... very curious to see what will come up and what won't.

Perfectly agreed that they seem to understand even less than the viewer does. But they know that something is out there and may be looking for it. Therefore, I think that S3 may have in store more characters like Briggs, Earle and Milford, working for the government in some capacity, or even loose cannons like Parsons!
It is possible that their first arrival in our dimension and occupation of the Lodge(s) began in the 50's, but since the Lodges are out of time, they could exist at any point in time after entering. Leading to them always being around. I'd assume someone from the 1700's, or earlier, who found their way in to the Lodge would very possibly see Coop wandering around.
OneandtheSame

Post by OneandtheSame »

I haven't seen this discussed, but the book seems to heavily imply that Jack Parsons is Phillip Gerard. Is that what others got from it?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I find it more important to consider what Mark has been saying at the signings to be a hint toward something that is completely missing from the book:

Annie.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

bowisneski wrote:
It is possible that their first arrival in our dimension and occupation of the Lodge(s) began in the 50's, but since the Lodges are out of time, they could exist at any point in time after entering. Leading to them always being around. I'd assume someone from the 1700's, or earlier, who found their way in to the Lodge would very possibly see Coop wandering around.
This only in case that he himself has become a deity of sorts in his own right - otherwise they would not let him show face, he is trapped in blackness inside the lodge if not fully eradicated, and alive on the outside. And even if it's the former, who knows which way that could have gone, the photos are telling you know ..
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Why are the letters "Z" and "Y" switched on the Corona typewriter, page 344...? clue that something is not right here...?
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Aqua wrote:
bowisneski wrote:
This only in case that he himself has become a deity of sorts in his own right - otherwise they would not let him show face, he is trapped in blackness inside the lodge if not fully eradicated, and alive on the outside. And even if it's the former, who knows which way that could have gone, the photos are telling you know ..
From what we see in Fire Walk with Me and The Missing Pieces, Coop is walking around the Red Room area and has a conversation the TMFAP. This occurs both after and before he gets trapped.
Double R Diner

Post by Double R Diner »

I find the idea of a parallel TP very interesting. What if there is a "good" and "evil" town?
chalfont wrote:Why are the letters "Z" and "Y" switched on the Corona typewriter, page 344...? clue that something is not right here...?
Frost hinted at it when asked about it.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

bowisneski wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Also what did all the names of agents on the computer indicate? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there two agents in the book? One is Tamara and the other is the one to whom the dossier is assigned
The names of the agents all seem to relate to blue rose cases/mysterious disappearances.
Gordon Cole
Phillip Jeffries
Chet Desmond
Sam Stanley
Windom Earle
Dale Cooper
Albert Rosenfield
And with the exception of one notation about the mill closing and being sold, every note within the book is marked -TP so I think there is only one investigating agent. Discounting the pair discovered the dossier.

krishnanspace wrote:One more thing I noticed:
INTEROFFICE MEMORANDUM

Background:The content of this dossier appears to have a relationship to an investigation conducted in northwest Washington State........ my command at the time.

Gordon can only know that the dossier contains information about Twin Peaks and Lauras investigation,if and only if he has read it or someone else has read it and told him.
And it could just be that he opened it and flipped through it/someone else flipped through it to catalog all documents within but didn't read all of the Archivist notes, or the case was reminiscent of those prior cases. For example, if a young girl was found with something under her nail Gordon would relate it without ever opening the dossier. Or if it was discovered near Twin Peaks, that could be another reason.

From the next letter by Gordon
Field Agents ---------------- and -------------- discovered dossier while on assignment in ----------. It was recovered from a crime scene that is still classified as unsolved and may have relevance to a previous crime or crimes in 1991 that is similarly classified.
The dossier also contains a symbol on the outside cover that Gordon may already known of, or may have been in Coopers notes, and connected without ever having to open it.
Thats a nice explanation.Thanks!!