The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Gabriel »

Regarding the 1s and 0s an Is and Os, having grown up in a journalist family and watched two generations using a typewriter, I can vouch that using I and O instead of numbers was common practice. Typesetters would deal with putting in the correct lettering. Remember, this was an analogue era, so it really didn't matter.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

krishnanspace wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I haven't read the book,but could someone tell me why is Major Briggs collecting the information on Everyone?
Can someone please answer this?
Douglas Milford told him he should be the next 'watcher in the woods'. To me it seems this is a task which holds some kind of tradition in the region of Twin Peaks, tracking and archiving the town and it's history of strange phenomena. On why he would keep track on characters like Ed and Nadine and such I'm pretty much clueless.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

TheArm wrote:
I also asked about the "1" / "I" thing. He said it was meant to be a symbol of Briggs's feelings of personal responsibility and accountability (or something to that extent).
Um...huh?
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
thepope79

Post by thepope79 »

There are a number of omissions from the audiobook version, the most annoying of which that I have noticed being the entire of page 307 - Carl Rodd's letter to the Post - plus the accompanying TP notes on page 306. They've even edited the archivist's reference to the letter (after recording) so that he no longer refers to "the following letter".

Also, note 2 on page 214 isn't in there, and there were at least a couple of other omissions that I noticed at the time but did not think to make a note of, that there did not seem to be any good reason for leaving out.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

AgentCoop wrote:
TheArm wrote:
I also asked about the "1" / "I" thing. He said it was meant to be a symbol of Briggs's feelings of personal responsibility and accountability (or something to that extent).
Um...huh?
I = 1: "I'm the one" - confession?
MaiTaiRob

Post by MaiTaiRob »

Laura said "I'll see you again in 25 years."

She never said 25 years in which direction.

I have a feeling the show will, at least in part, head "Through the darkness of future's past."

The "two worlds" are two different timelines.
FittenTrim

Post by FittenTrim »

It was probably a slip of the tongue, and not a reveal, but last night in L.A. Mark Frost said Robert Knepper played Dougie Milford in season 3, then corrected himself to say he was voice on audiobook.

If they were going to be 'moving through time' in season 3, Knepper could make an okay young Doug Milford IMDB.

As others have noted, Frost said Dougie Milford married Lana, Miss Twin Peaks 1989.

When I spoke to Frost, we talked about him voicing Haywards in the audiobook, and I had him signed one of my books as Cyril Ponds. I also asked Amy Shiels to sign several books.
Twin Peaks: The Gifted and the Damned Podcast
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/twi ... 1165641599
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

FittenTrim wrote:It was probably a slip of the tongue, and not a reveal, but last night in L.A. Mark Frost said Robert Knepper played Dougie Milford in season 3, then corrected himself to say he was voice on audiobook.

If they were going to be 'moving through time' in season 3, Knepper could make an okay young Doug Milford IMDB.

As others have noted, Frost said Dougie Milford married Lana, Miss Twin Peaks 1989.

When I spoke to Frost, we talked about him voicing Haywards in the audiobook, and I had him signed one of my books as Cyril Ponds
Wait, Ponds? Didn't he make a big show on Twitter of the character's name being Pons? How'd he sign it? (...is it yet another Berenstein/Berenstain situation like 3/4 of the book?)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
FittenTrim

Post by FittenTrim »

I forgot to mention that famed L.A. crime writer Michael Connelly was there (with what I'm assuming was his daughter). They got a book signed and Frost mentioned he was a fan of Connelly's writing.

Connelly wrote the Harry Bosch novels which is currently adapted into a TV series on Amazon.
Twin Peaks: The Gifted and the Damned Podcast
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/twi ... 1165641599
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Soolsma wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I haven't read the book,but could someone tell me why is Major Briggs collecting the information on Everyone?
Can someone please answer this?
Douglas Milford told him he should be the next 'watcher in the woods'. To me it seems this is a task which holds some kind of tradition in the region of Twin Peaks, tracking and archiving the town and it's history of strange phenomena. On why he would keep track on characters like Ed and Nadine and such I'm pretty much clueless.
Correct. The powers that be knew that the source of the terrestrial phenomena was in the vicinity of the "great falls" and "twin mountains." The LPA was set up for that purpose. Milford collected data on locals who were involved in that mystery, one way or the other. When Milford knew his time was short, he groomed Major Briggs to be his replacement. Briggs thought he discovered who his new "control" was based upon the message, but realized that he had misinterpreted the message. He retreated to the LPA with the dossier to secure it.

Go back to the beginning of the book and remember that the dossier was discovered at a classified crime scene. Likely the LPA. Briggs discovered who Cooper "really" was and likely paid for it with his life.

As for people like Ed & Nadine being included? That's what Season 3 is for.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Damn Mordeen,

I think you may be right.

That's just... really dark... as dark as coffee comes...
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

The woods are lovely, dark and deep...
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Mordeen wrote: Briggs discovered who Cooper "really" was and likely paid for it with his life.
-Mordeen
Yes, very dark but this series of events would give S3 Bobby Briggs a whole new way to be an antihero (or, umm, anti-villian?) if he believes he knows who Cooper "really" is...
ScibenX

Post by ScibenX »

Mordeen wrote: Go back to the beginning of the book and remember that the dossier was discovered at a classified crime scene. Likely the LPA. Briggs discovered who Cooper "really" was and likely paid for it with his life. -Mordeen
The book certainly wants us to think this is what happened, but as others have mentioned, the Archivist references events that occurred in the weeks/months following the finale. To my mind, this leaves two possibilities: that Briggs/Milford were the Archivist and someone subsequently tampered with the Dossier to some unknown end; or the true Archivist chose to present the dossier as having being written by Briggs.

I want to believe Briggs was the Archivist, but I have doubts. For one, why would Gordon Cole make finding the identity of the Archivist TP's #1 priority, when all one would have to do is flip to where he announces his name? Surely someone else at the FBI looked at the dossier before giving it to TP. Maybe Cole is testing TP? (If so, she obviously failed.)

Of course, if Cole is involved with a Blue Book-esque conspiracy, this could all be an effort to hide or bury the truth.

I also suspect the "Dossier Handling Timeline" from the beginning of the book might offer some clues as to when or by whom tampering may have occurred. For example, TP had the dossier in her possession for a full week prior to starting her work on it.

If the dossier was tampered with, that leads to the question of who did so, and why? I can think of two possible culprits, neither of which really hold up: Evil Coop or Windom Earle. If Evil Coop doctored the dossier after killing Briggs, why leave in anything that would raise suspicion, even as vague as Briggs' last few lines before Mayday? As far as Windom Earle, while I believe he would be capable of creating or seamlessly tampering with this dossier, it would not be very dramatically satisfying to discover that the book we just read was actually written by a character fans have mixed feelings towards, to say the least.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

What if Agent Tp is Coopers and Annie's child. Amy Shiels Is 25 years old and Gordon knows it and is testing her. Just some random thought.