The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by FrightNight »

FittenTrim wrote:If you hate the book, want to return it, are disappointed in Frost; are worried about the new series... please continue to post those feelings here in the Forum.

We're all here in a forum talking about a show (and movie) that are over a quarter of a century old. We're doing that is because we love the show.

The Secret History of Twin Peaks
gets many, many, many facts wrong... (about the show we love)
Or the book signals that the new series is changing the established narrative... (about the show we love)

People don't usually want the things which they love to change. Coca-Cola changed their taste in the '80s and the customers/country went apoplectic. Coca-Cola did respond to their customers and changed the taste back (though they never switched back to real sugar; stayed with corn syrup)

Someone earlier wrote: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" ... but gifts are usually free. If you want to return the book, do it. And please type about it here on the boards.

I want a Dugpa with all Twin Peaks fans.... even those who hate the 'Evelyn Marsh' storyline, even those who hate FWWM, even those who hate this new book.

I'll be at Mark Frost event at The Last Bookstore tomorrow in Los Angeles, buying a signed copy
Careful. Might get called a "troll" for expressing such blasphemous thoughts.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

i just finished the book late last night and have just now skimmed what ive missed in this thread. i was and still am firmly planted in the camp that thinks the inconsistencies are intentional, especially now after some of the comments that frost has made in interviews and on social media. i will be going back and sifting through the details of the book (probably for the rest of my life), but here is my initial take:

my first impression upon reading the book was that someone was trying to rewrite the history of twin peaks and i dont think it was mark frost himself. the first major chunk of the book that seemed to be very deliberately rewriting what we know from the series was the andrew packard file written by cooper. and as tp wrote: why did he write this? she posits that he wrote it to tell his friends some hard truths. but given all the inconsistencies, it seems to me that he did it to cover up truths.

at the end of the book, briggs is looking for cooper with the intention of sharing the dossier with him and enlist him to carry on the work. it seems from the final lines of the book that briggs finds out a little too late that something has happened to coop. is it possible that briggs has already shown cooper the dossier? at the beginning of the book, gordon cole says that the dossier was discovered at a crime scene that may have relevance to a previous crime in 1991. what happended in 1991 and what happened to the dossier then?

my feeling is that cooper did in fact obtain the dossier and continued the work that milford and briggs started, but in a different way. rather than documenting the mysteries that surround the town, cooper began manipulating and twisting information for his own purposes. as the book describes, this is the difference between secrets and mysteries.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

The Jumping Man wrote:Also, the ostensible reason for the FBI being called in on the Laura Palmer case is that Ronette wandered over the state line (another indication that Twin Peaks has to be in the northeast corner of the state, since there would be no state line in the northwest corner). But in the pilot Cooper is already arriving in Twin Peaks seemingly minutes after this happened. The locals never seem to wonder about this either.
From the Diane tapes: "Diane, 9:00 a.m., preparing to board flight 210, commuter flight, 15- seater. Arriving in Spokane at 10:15 a.m. " A flight from Portland would be about an hour. Nonetheless, he made good time on the road to have arrived in Twin Peaks 11:30...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Don't forget he stopped for lunch at the Lamplighter Inn in Lewis Fork!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

The Jumping Man wrote:Don't forget he stopped for lunch at the Lamplighter Inn in Lewis Fork!
More like hobbit second breakfast, considering it's 11:30 AM... Coop please. Well, we cannot say it's out of character.

Anyone up for listing all the geographical references to both Twin Peaks and Deer Meadow in show & film to see how tragically they don't line up? (Again, I think it takes a bold man to embrace these contradictions and support them both in a single text...)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Yasdnil
Roadhouse Member

Post by Yasdnil »

I think this whole thread is absolutely fascinating. I'm getting chills every time I realize that we're arguing and debating this passionately about new material from this world--I mean, honestly, who could have believed that this day would actually come??? It blows my mind.

I've been lurking on here for a few days (mostly because I forgot my login info--it's been a few years!! Thanks to the admin for helping me reactivate my account) reading all the competing theories and digesting them along with the info from the book and audiobook, which I've read twice now. I admit I was frustrated initially with what seemed like minor but annoying errors. But then I remembered what it was I was reading and a lightbulb went off, and now I'm gleefully approaching this like Catherine, Pete, and Andrew did the puzzle box...

My gut says we're dealing with some rewritten history--either via forged documents or parallel timelines. And I have to admit I like the implication of a twin Twin Peaks out there existing alongside the Twin Peaks we have come to know and love. When we allow for that possibility, suddenly things like Philip Jeffries' apparent time traveling in FWWM, or Annie's, or the two Coopers in the hallway...it kind of makes sense. Or makes more sense, anyway. It explains Annie's absence from the narrative; it explains the weird conflicting details from easily fact-check-able scenes in the show; it even explains the Moon landing stamp (maybe in this parallel universe Nixon managed to get man on the moon six months earlier than in our timeline!) Maybe the fact that there are internally inconsistent documents side by side in the dossier suggests that the Archivist (or a helper...) compiled them from across these worlds and knowingly put them together in the same place in order to signal that something is up...hoping that the dossier would wind up on Gordon Cole's desk...

It's all too much to take in yet. But I think this is what we're supposed to be figuring out. And I can't think of a better group of fans to do it than ours!
“I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.”
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Coop as unreliable narrator seems a likely enough wrinkle given the end of s2, but the idea that he obtained the dossier as a whole and is fucking with it doesn't really make sense, given that the dossier ends with a warning about cooper.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Btw did anyone else roll their eyes slightly at the note from millennial scully that went something like "I've even heard crazy stories about something called 'reverse speech...'" That and the race of giants were the clumsiest shout-outs to the show's supernatural content I think.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Btw did anyone else roll their eyes slightly at the note from millennial scully that went something like "I've even heard crazy stories about something called 'reverse speech...'" That and the race of giants were the clumsiest shout-outs to the show's supernatural content I think.
I hear you... "Reverse Speech" is a "thing", nonetheless: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_speech

As is the race of giants: https://www.sott.net/article/281093-The ... n-cover-up

I'm still teetering uncomfortably between accepting that the book is a genius puzzle for uber-fans, or fun-but-heartbreakingly-sloppy. There is evidence aplenty for both, as I see it...
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Haha ok that's bonkers. I'd have been tempted to throw that in there too. From that Wikipedia, this might be of interest to the people playing detective:

"The most famous recording that allegedly demonstrates this is the speech given by Neil Armstrong at the time of the first manned lunar landing on 20 July 1969. If played backwards, the words "small step for man" sound somewhat like "Man will space walk."[6]"
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

> Anyone up for listing all the geographical references to both Twin Peaks and Deer Meadow in show & film to see how tragically they don't line up?

In the pilot Cooper says the body of Teresa Banks was found in a town in the southwest corner of the state (without specifically mentioning Deer Meadow by name). FWWM certainly suggests Deer Meadow is a lot closer to Twin Peaks than that, though I'm not sure if it's made explicit.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

The Jumping Man wrote:In the pilot Cooper says the body of Teresa Banks was found in a town in the southwest corner of the state (without specifically mentioning Deer Meadow by name). FWWM certainly suggests Deer Meadow is a lot closer to Twin Peaks than that, though I'm not sure if it's made explicit.
In the Missing Pieces, Sam says the drive from Deer Meadow to Portland was 105 miles, though. That would certainly reinforce the southwest Washington placement. There is an actual Wind River in southern Washington that would've been where the body was found...until the Secret History created a Wind River in the vicinity of Pearl Lakes.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

the secret geography of twin peaks
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

I'm not looking forward to the third volume of the trilogy: The Secret Math Of Twin Peaks.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

imagine the outrage among the mibblers of the Internet when frost changes the values of 2x4, 4x8...