The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Ross »

Thanks Mr. Riendeer and bowisneski for those thoughtful posts. They convey many of my own thoughts as well.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Ross wrote:
Mordeen wrote:Having finished reading the dossier, I think there's still room for a legitimate reason for the continuity errors. The reason might seem lame, but it's possible the documents in question were altered or replaced with forgeries to throw someone off track.

-Mordeen
To what end though? That really doesn't make much sense, as in most of these cases we end up at the same place anyway. For instance, why would someone falsify documents that say Cooper and Truman knew about Andrew before he died? Its not like they are going to go back to that in S3. And there is nothing in the book that would suggest that. So if its not for the book itself, or for S3...

I understand we want there to be a reason, but I just think it is what it seems.
The specific documents I'm referring to are the ones our beloved ARCHIVIST gleaned from the Bookhouse, written by Cooper and Hawk. That place is public. It would be easy to replace them with forgeries. Why? I haven't dug that far into my theory to explain it properly. Keep it a mystery, man, or you might be history, man. Just a theory.

With all the effort put into making the military Top Secret docs look authentic, I would just tend to believe that a writer of Frost's caliber would have taken the time to research his own show enough to be able to avoid these apparent "mistakes," so I'm leaning toward intentional.

All the while keeping in mind that our beloved ARCHIVIST has big issues with time and space in his own experiences. Mayhap the dossier is not what it seems as much as the Owls are not what they seem, because he's between more than two worlds.

The S3 SPOILER thread contained pictures that showed things to us that seemed out of place and reality.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

bowisneski wrote:
Aqua wrote:And Briggs gets information on the fbi events where?
It's not specifically stated, but I would assume from the network that Dougie built up(even Tricky Dick was an informant of his at one time, at least such seems to be the case and is posited by Agent Preston). It would also appear the Nixon hooked up Cole and Dougie. Briggs is Dougies protege and picks up and fills in the dossier, but most of it is actually put together by Dougie.

This is enforced because Carl Rodd sends a letter to the editor about the Unguin Field/Listening Post Alpha additions and construction and Dwayne promises to look in to it. Dougie volunteers his service and shortly after Gordon Cole contacts Dwayne.

The rest of the FBI info mentioned is this thread is filled in by Agent Preston's notations.
Knew that Cole was much more multi-levelled than what we were shown - just to remember what he was doing with shelley, a full-fledged erotoman in the middle of a day if there ever was one. Makes one think that we may be not seeing owls for what they seem (edtd mordeen beat to it above), i,e. an entertainment-oriented, mystery-enriching writing - within this debate; not to say obviously that there's not more to it (and hence at least part of accomodating alterations) given who's behind and enlivening Cole. Christ's sakes, it was only this year that Mlmt's ominous mood and what it does to a whole understanding of the show, really got to my brain, oh well ..

With new books and seasons, personally was hoping for black holes, and gravitational discoveries, and further dives into quantums apart from native american/corn-e.t. stuff with this, and it seems that ... getting there actually. Book will be considered 'latest partial' canon at worst - and bear in mind that this year shown world much more extreme Trumpeted canons, which all have to be indeed considered canon and legit at the end of the day. Just like all other TP books containing actual plots and written indeed in parallel with production did, book will do just fine in overall state of things
Guitarmonbozia

Post by Guitarmonbozia »

Oh ye of little faith! I can't believe that I finally had to register in order to write this. David and Mark have spent years planning this. Twin Peaks has always been a mysterious puzzle at its core. This book was originally announced as to bridge the gap between where they left off and the new series. Now it has arrived and obviously does not give us the 25 year story of the town's residents that we expected. Instead, we get much needed backstory on the mythology and a fleshed out recap of what we have seen. Except practically every major storyline has details that are obviously wrong. I mean come on...Pete was a checkers, not a chess, guy?

The book is obviously a wonderful puzzle that DOES bridge the gap to where we will soon find ourselves. They meticulously planned this. These are not gaffes or retcons. Quite a few pages back, I think somebody nailed it with the 1984 thing. The thread is torn in that year. I don't know if It will be the outcome of Coop's adventures that changes the history or if we will see him put everything back to the canon we have always known.

But I'll bet a can of creamed corn that this whole game of Ring Around the Blue Rosie is not accidental.

And if you feel that Frost should make it clear in the book that it is meant to be puzzled out, then TP may not be the world for you...
Darkmood

Post by Darkmood »

Guitarmonbozia wrote:Oh ye of little faith! I can't believe that I finally had to register in order to write this. David and Mark have spent years planning this. Twin Peaks has always been a mysterious puzzle at its core. This book was originally announced as to bridge the gap between where they left off and the new series. Now it has arrived and obviously does not give us the 25 year story of the town's residents that we expected. Instead, we get much needed backstory on the mythology and a fleshed out recap of what we have seen. Except practically every major storyline has details that are obviously wrong. I mean come on...Pete was a checkers, not a chess, guy?

The book is obviously a wonderful puzzle that DOES bridge the gap to where we will soon find ourselves. They meticulously planned this. These are not gaffes or retcons. Quite a few pages back, I think somebody nailed it with the 1984 thing. The thread is torn in that year. I don't know if It will be the outcome of Coop's adventures that changes the history or if we will see him put everything back to the canon we have always known.

But I'll bet a can of creamed corn that this whole game of Ring Around the Blue Rosie is not accidental.

And if you feel that Frost should make it clear in the book that it is meant to be puzzled out, then TP may not be the world for you...
Last edited by Darkmood on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
^◊^
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Guitarmonbozia wrote:Oh ye of little faith! I can't believe that I finally had to register in order to write this. David and Mark have spent years planning this. Twin Peaks has always been a mysterious puzzle at its core. This book was originally announced as to bridge the gap between where they left off and the new series. Now it has arrived and obviously does not give us the 25 year story of the town's residents that we expected. Instead, we get much needed backstory on the mythology and a fleshed out recap of what we have seen. Except practically every major storyline has details that are obviously wrong. I mean come on...Pete was a checkers, not a chess, guy?

As disappointed in the book as I am now I would be truly amazed and excited if that is the case. I hope you are correct. TBD.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Guitarmonbozia wrote:

I really hope you're right, as I've been saying. I hope it's not accidental.

But on the other hand this whole discrepancy issue has clearly upset some people, so much so to where they have simply canceled their orders. I have considered returning mine. You can disagree with that sentiment. That's fine. But it's not good for business to have cancellations/returns due to these issues. Frost would do well to at least say "yes these are intentional." if they are indeed intentional. That way the cancellations/returns get reversed and Flatiron gets their money. If they aren't intentional... well, I think he should own up to it. Say "I done messed up." I'd have more respect for him.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Guitarmonbozia

Post by Guitarmonbozia »

Have faith, brother. It will all make sense.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

I'm hoping the Dukes interview tomorrow shines some light on all this. So maybe it will all make sense.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Guitarmonbozia

Post by Guitarmonbozia »

Saying the puzzle is intentional would defeat the purpose.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

All of this reminds me of the post-mortem regret people had for pre-hating FWWM.

This is such stuff that dreams are made of.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Guitarmonbozia

Post by Guitarmonbozia »

Exactly.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Mordeen wrote:All of this reminds me of the post-mortem regret people had for pre-hating FWWM.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

Mordeen wrote:All of this reminds me of the post-mortem regret people had for pre-hating FWWM.

-Mordeen
+1 +1 +1

All of this reminds me how fandom can be... interesting at times.

Waiting for more spoilers in the spoilers thread. It's been like 10 pages since the last juicy one.
Guitarmonbozia

Post by Guitarmonbozia »

I really feel bad for the folks who cancelled their orders. Fandom at its worst. The book is not what it seems.