The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by laughingpinecone »

I was thinking - what was the source on the idea of Red Room appearing differently to everyone who sees it? Some interview somewhere... Engels? Can we now say that the concept has been abandoned by current canon?

madeleineferguson wrote:I think it's Teresa too, as a throwback to Teresa Banks. Can't think of many longish female names. Maybe Tallulah?!?

Palmer, Packard, Pulaski... while it would be so exciting to have an FBI agent who was related to an original character, I'm doubtful. In Gordon Cole's letter to the agent, he explains the background of the case as if the agent has no prior knowledge of the facts.

Blacking out the name of T---- P---- feels a lot like Kill Bill and Beatrix Kiddo. There is probably no real reason for keeping her name from us, but it certainly does heighten our curiosity.
There's a few, apparently! With TP as her initials, I think it'd be neat it if there was something about her that tied her to the overall mythology/symbols of the show, rather than family ties - besides, as you say, Gordon's letter pretty much rules it out.

Seconded on the blacking out, too! And it accomplishes one more thing: it lampshades the character's cutesy initials.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

There are two agents right? One is Agent Tp and the other is Agent.......

Agent Tp is providing the summary after each letter and the summary is meant for Agent......
Cerulean
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cerulean »

laughingpinecone wrote:I was thinking - what was the source on the idea of Red Room appearing differently to everyone who sees it? Some interview somewhere... Engels? Can we now say that the concept has been abandoned by current canon?
Lynch and Frost have each said it on different occasions, and I have a vague memory of Engels mentioning it (can't remember where or when though); Lynch speaks about it briefly in Chris Rodley's Lynch on Lynch and Frost discussed it in Twin Peaks Podcast interview four years ago. There's probably earlier mentions of it somewhere, but it seems to be one of the few consistent things about the mythology that was well established between Lynch and Frost.

It's still a pretty confusing concept because both Lynch and Frost are (obviously) pretty vague about it. It could mean that the physical appearance/design appears differently depending on who enters it or it could mean that the spirits who appear/events that take place are different — perhaps even a combination of both ideas. I'm convinced Lynch carried the idea into Fire Walk with Me and that the three wooden rooms from Laura's dream are in fact the Lodge.
madeleineferguson wrote:Blacking out the name of T---- P---- feels a lot like Kill Bill and Beatrix Kiddo. There is probably no real reason for keeping her name from us, but it certainly does heighten our curiosity.
It'll be interesting to see if the agent's name has only been redacted from the trailer/samples or if it's actually blackened out in the book too. I can definitely imagine a situation where we don't find out TP's name, speculate about it for months and then she turns up in season 3.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Here is the podcast where Mark frost talks about the red room
https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/5/c/b ... 9ab4433798
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Cerulean wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:I was thinking - what was the source on the idea of Red Room appearing differently to everyone who sees it? Some interview somewhere... Engels? Can we now say that the concept has been abandoned by current canon?
Lynch and Frost have each said it on different occasions, and I have a vague memory of Engels mentioning it (can't remember where or when though); Lynch speaks about it briefly in Chris Rodley's Lynch on Lynch and Frost discussed it in Twin Peaks Podcast interview four years ago. There's probably earlier mentions of it somewhere, but it seems to be one of the few consistent things about the mythology that was well established between Lynch and Frost.

It's still a pretty confusing concept because both Lynch and Frost are (obviously) pretty vague about it. It could mean that the physical appearance/design appears differently depending on who enters it or it could mean that the spirits who appear/events that take place are different — perhaps even a combination of both ideas. I'm convinced Lynch carried the idea into Fire Walk with Me and that the three wooden rooms from Laura's dream are in fact the Lodge.
Huh. Interesting. Thanks! I took FWWM to be pretty open to a number of interpretations - the wooden rooms from Laura's dream are shown to be connected to the red room, as if they were an extension of it rather than a variation, and the meeting above the convenience store could be the same thing, and we see red room business even just between the Arm and BOB, without any human pov character to 'filter' that scene. But one could also say, for example, that the room of the meeting is how Jeffries sees the Lodge, and that the entire movie is filtered through Laura's lens.

I liked the fact that the red room imagery could be, on some level, a projection of Coop's psyche because I love that kind of visual exploration of a character's inner being, and also because Laura sees the same exact things and I'm very invested in their connection. But now we have an unrelated character seeing the same exact things two centuries earlier... adding to a few references to the red room imagery that were already present in the show itself - eg Leland's ep2 jacket - which seemed to point to those symbols being shared and not unique to Cooper.

Guess we'll get better raw data next year! I guess it's possible that it does change for each person but not in such a radical way, different things for different people but still centered around chevron floors and red curtains.

ETA wow, thank you krishnanspace!
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

krishnanspace wrote:Here is the podcast where Mark frost talks about the red room
thank you for posting this. its very interesting to hear his perspective about the continuation of the series from what we assume is a few years before they began talks for season 3. mark is very careful with his words. you can hear that he has thought about the idea, but very smartly does not discuss hypotheticals.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

krishnanspace wrote:There are two agents right? One is Agent Tp and the other is Agent.......

Agent Tp is providing the summary after each letter and the summary is meant for Agent......
That's my understanding as well
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

beano wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Here is the podcast where Mark frost talks about the red room
thank you for posting this. its very interesting to hear his perspective about the continuation of the series from what we assume is a few years before they began talks for season 3. mark is very careful with his words. you can hear that he has thought about the idea, but very smartly does not discuss hypotheticals.
Thats what i thought.So they were planning on returning to Twin Peaks from 2012 maybe?
beano
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by beano »

krishnanspace wrote:
beano wrote:
Thats what i thought.So they were planning on returning to Twin Peaks from 2012 maybe?
when the announcement was made in october of 2014, frost said that he had began talking with lynch 3 years prior.. crazy to think this thing has been 5 years in the making!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

krishnanspace wrote:Thats what i thought.So they were planning on returning to Twin Peaks from 2012 maybe?
Before 2012 - Frost would later say that he and Lynch were "kicking around ideas" since summer of 2011 - about 6 months prior to this interview. They began writing properly in the spring of 2012.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

He also mentions that the supernatural aspect was always going to be there.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

krishnanspace wrote:He also mentions that the supernatural aspect was always going to be there.
I'll listen to the podcast later tonight, but I've always found it odd when people say that the supernatural aspect came out of nowhere. The train car crime scene was there from the get-go, it hinted at an occult ritual at the very least...
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:There are two agents right? One is Agent Tp and the other is Agent.......

That's my understanding as well
Hm, right, there was that. I didn't manage to save the files, apologies if I'm misremembering things! But doesn't Gordon tell Agent ............. to catalogue the dossier, and then Agent TP's notes do exactly that?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Agent..... job is to find out who compiled the dossier based on the review by Agent Tp
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

krishnanspace wrote:He also mentions that the supernatural aspect was always going to be there.
Good to know.