'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

fearltd
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby fearltd » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 am

I agree with Mr Reindeer. The talk was very short and not much detail was given about the writing or contents of the book (I believe out of interest of spoilers). Mark was very personable and welcoming. He signed my copy of the old Access Guide and seemed surprised, since (apparently) they're hard to come by. He confirmed that he did read it over to "get the details right", interestingly enough. Just thumbing through it before the show I noticed references to the warring Martell/Packard families, the Nez Perce, etc. All in all I was glad to have the opportunity.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2800
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:02 pm

mtwentz wrote:
musicaddict wrote:
mtwentz wrote:]

Isn't Lynch a 'conspiracy theorist' since he was on Alex Jones's show before :-)?

I don't really agree with MF's take on conspiracy theories. Sometimes things are much deeper and it isn't just a lone gunman.


I agree, but once you go too far down the rabbit hole, the conspiracy theories can get out of hand- the whole tin foil hat thing.

That's why I think it's so much easier sometimes to deal with it in fiction than in real life.


It's interesting (and telling about the book's ultimate message) that Frost spent so much time laboriously assembling as many "facts" as he could surrounding classic conspiracy theories, exposing the holes in the "official" narratives, even though he apparently believes that "an owl is just an owl." It seems, at the end of the day, that what interests him is not the myths' veracity, but what these theories say about us as a species and a nation.

It's really fascinating that the WSJ interview concludes with Frost seemingly attacking those who believe the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon was staged; a decade ago, David Lynch seemed to have at least one foot in that very camp. The Lynch/Frost collaboration is such a strange thing.
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4525
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Jerry Horne » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:05 am

Unique German promo:

User avatar
musicaddict
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:03 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby musicaddict » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:28 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
musicaddict wrote: Were you allowed to take photos with Mark?



Nope, in the interest of time, no posed photos and no personalized messages, but you could get an additional TP-related item signed in addition to the book.

The "interest of time" thing is kind of funny because he easily could have taken a photo with each person in lieu of the extensive chatting he did. But I think getting to know the fans a little was very rewarding for him.

There were no limits on taking photos of Mark at any point, however; he just didn't pose. Your best bet is to bring a friend/loved one with you and calculate it so that you're getting in line for the signing at different times. Then you can take candid photos of one another speaking to Mark. I saw a couple do this and they got some great non-staged photos of one another enthusiastically speaking with Mark.

Thank for the feedback.
User avatar
musicaddict
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:03 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby musicaddict » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 am

I read that Flatiron/Mark Frost were thrilled at the response to the book and I assume they meant pre-orders. Does anyone have any idea what numbers this book has sold just on pre-orders? What numbers saleswise would make this book a success in this day and age?
User avatar
Rudagger
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Rudagger » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:21 am

Just finally got my copy today. Won't be able to read it yet though.

Packard you say!? If Mark Frost is able to make that plot line in the original series comprehendible through the book, I'll consider it a masterwork. (It starts off relatively simple, but, by late season 2, it's just back stabbing, plotting, people coming back from the dead, etc. etc.)

Regarding Lynch and conspiracy theories, it kind of just seems natural. The guy loves mysteries and life that is stranger than fiction.

As for book sales; in this day and age, I imagine it doesn't take a whole lot to be considered a decent success. I assume the break even point is pretty low (though, maybe the budget on this book was fairly high given all the graphic design work and ad campaign, etc.).
User avatar
Robot Butler
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Robot Butler » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:33 pm

It's interesting (and telling about the book's ultimate message) that Frost spent so much time laboriously assembling as many "facts" as he could surrounding classic conspiracy theories, exposing the holes in the "official" narratives, even though he apparently believes that "an owl is just an owl." It seems, at the end of the day, that what interests him is not the myths' veracity, but what these theories say about us as a species and a nation.


It reminds me of Alan Moore's Jack the Ripper graphic novel From Hell. He lists all his sources in painstaking detail, and then closes the book with an epilogue where he admits he thinks it's all bullshit. It just happened to be bullshit that provided a framework to write about themes and issues that interested him.


I'm at about the halfway point now. Doing the best I can to get through this with the time I have. Mostly good so far. Can't wait to jump into the spoiler thread.
User avatar
The Archivist
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby The Archivist » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:50 pm

I believe this would be more appropriate here rather than in the "spoilers" thread.

Has anyone attemped recognising which voice actors play which parts in the audiobook?

It sound to me that Kyle McLachlan is behind Robert Jacoby's voice.

And I know for a fact (I have listened to other audiobook's samples) that Douglas Milford is played by Len Cariou. I assume T.P. is played by Annie Wersching.

Should I assume that only the actors listed in the audiobook intro are involved in the project? Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a detailed breakdown of the audiobook cast by roles. :|
FullBlossomOfTheEve
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:59 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby FullBlossomOfTheEve » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:02 am

A new interview of Mark Frost, in french.

http://www.telerama.fr/series-tv/mark-f ... 149044.php
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby mtwentz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:48 am

The Archivist wrote:I believe this would be more appropriate here rather than in the "spoilers" thread.

Has anyone attemped recognising which voice actors play which parts in the audiobook?

It sound to me that Kyle McLachlan is behind Robert Jacoby's voice.

And I know for a fact (I have listened to other audiobook's samples) that Douglas Milford is played by Len Cariou. I assume T.P. is played by Annie Wersching.

Should I assume that only the actors listed in the audiobook intro are involved in the project? Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a detailed breakdown of the audiobook cast by roles. :|


I am pretty sure the Archivist is voiced by James Morrison.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
sneakydave
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby sneakydave » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:36 am

mtwentz wrote:
The Archivist wrote:I believe this would be more appropriate here rather than in the "spoilers" thread.

Has anyone attemped recognising which voice actors play which parts in the audiobook?

It sound to me that Kyle McLachlan is behind Robert Jacoby's voice.

And I know for a fact (I have listened to other audiobook's samples) that Douglas Milford is played by Len Cariou. I assume T.P. is played by Annie Wersching.

Should I assume that only the actors listed in the audiobook intro are involved in the project? Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a detailed breakdown of the audiobook cast by roles. :|


I am pretty sure the Archivist is voiced by James Morrison.


That's definitely correct. I watched him on 24 for long enough to recognise his voice.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
User avatar
musicaddict
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:03 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby musicaddict » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:54 am

The audio book has started to ship from Amazon UK.
User avatar
FauxOwl
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby FauxOwl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:59 am

Has anyone listened to the audiobook yet? I've heard that the digital versions of the book should be skipped because of the visual element, but how does that translate to the audio version? Is it more of a companion to the hardcover version or can it stand alone?
User avatar
sneakydave
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby sneakydave » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:26 am

FauxOwl wrote:Has anyone listened to the audiobook yet? I've heard that the digital versions of the book should be skipped because of the visual element, but how does that translate to the audio version? Is it more of a companion to the hardcover version or can it stand alone?


I've got both but am more familiar with the audiobook than the actual hardcover. Going through it for the second time now as I just don't get time at home to read right now.

From the pages I've leafed through, the audiobook skips the really dry stuff like the list of UFO sightings and the car receipt etc. It just gives you a brief overview of those pages. Everything else is read verbatim though. I also like how TP interjects with her thoughts as she reads the passages. I know in the book these comments are in the margin and you need to glance across to read them. This flows a little better in the audiobook.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
User avatar
beano
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:23 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby beano » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:47 am

i will be at the book signing in san francisco tomorrow night! message me if you will be too..

Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests