'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The_Trout

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by The_Trout »

I preordered on Amazon basically the very instant it was possible to, and my copy has shipped and is due on Monday. Amazon must've sold through their first shipment and later orders are getting the delay.
jvessey

Post by jvessey »

Just got mine now from Amazon. It was supposed to come on Monday, but the mailman just left it at my door a minute ago.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

It's here!!!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Out for delivery, Saturday 10/15. Looks like I'm cancelling my plans for today.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I tried to cancel and redo my lazy amazon.it order and now it says it doesn't know when it's gonna ship. On the other hand, I found out this and I'm seething. Are there any lucky early readers from the UK here who can confirm that the UK "main market" version is only 358 pages long? What are these 10 pages?

I'm gonna punch a bookstore.

ETA screencaps from the product page on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk respectively
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (2.22 KiB) Viewed 9457 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.4 KiB) Viewed 9457 times
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

laughingpinecone wrote:I tried to cancel and redo my lazy amazon.it order and now it says it doesn't know when it's gonna ship. On the other hand, I found out this and I'm seething. Are there any lucky early readers from the UK here who can confirm that the UK "main market" version is only 358 pages long? What are these 10 pages?

ETA screencaps from the product page on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk respectively
Might simply depend on whether or not they only count the bound pages vs. including the free documents? TBD, I reckon...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

laughingpinecone wrote:I tried to cancel and redo my lazy amazon.it order and now it says it doesn't know when it's gonna ship. On the other hand, I found out this and I'm seething. Are there any lucky early readers from the UK here who can confirm that the UK "main market" version is only 358 pages long? What are these 10 pages?

I think it's probably differences in font / page size. This is very common - for instance, the 2011 US edition of A Game of Thrones is 835 pages, while the UK edition from the same publisher at the same time is 912 pages. As far as I know, both editions are identical as far as content. (Of course, there are also sometimes changes in content - for instance the US vs. UK editions of some Harry Potter and Dune books - but I wouldn't get up in arms yet, without affirmative data that there are differences.)

I also don't think it's wise for people to cancel and re-order. In my experience, Amazon prioritizes older orders, so by reordering, people are essentially putting themselves in the back of the line. But who knows - this whole process has been so exasperating that it defies all rationale.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

The evidence I'm seeing is Amazon is prioritizing based upon who was willing to pay for upgraded next-day shipping. I cancelled and re-ordered on Thursday, paid for the upgraded shipping and will be getting it today, still for a little less than retail.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I'm gonna punch a bookstore, part the second:

US
Hardcover: 368 pages
ISBN-10: 1250075580
ISBN-13: 978-1250075581
Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 1.5 x 9.2 inches
Shipping Weight: 2.5 pounds

ES
Tapa dura: 368 páginas

UK
Hardcover: 352 pages
Product Dimensions: 19.6 x 3.7 x 23.7 cm
ISBN-10: 144729386X
ISBN-13: 978-1447293866

IT
Copertina rigida: 352 pagine
Editore: Macmillan; Main Market Ed. edizione (20 ottobre 2016)
Lingua: Inglese
ISBN-10: 144729386X
ISBN-13: 978-1447293866

DE
Gebundene Ausgabe: 304 Seiten
Größe und/oder Gewicht: 19 x 3,8 x 23,4 cm

FR
Relié: 304 pages
Dimensions du produit: 19 x 3,8 x 23,4 cm

All data c&p'd from their respective Amazon pages. Guessing Germany and France didn't update the page count from way back when, but Italy and UK /are/ getting a different ISBN code and Spain... just does its thing.
Mr. Reindeer wrote: I think it's probably differences in font / page size. This is very common - for instance, the 2011 US edition of A Game of Thrones is 835 pages, while the UK edition from the same publisher at the same time is 912 pages. As far as I know, both editions are identical as far as content. (Of course, there are also sometimes changes in content - for instance the US vs. UK editions of some Harry Potter and Dune books - but I wouldn't get up in arms yet, without affirmative data that there are differences.)

I also don't think it's wise for people to cancel and re-order. In my experience, Amazon prioritizes older orders, so by reordering, people are essentially putting themselves in the back of the line. But who knows - this whole process has been so exasperating that it defies all rationale.
Figured, but on the other hand, my old order was showing me shipping dates that made no sense at all with Amazon's usual delivery times and seeing people here get quicker deliveries like this made me try my luck. The old expected delivery date meant listening to the whole audiobook approximately twice before getting the hardcover. If I can't get it before getting through the audiobook (day 1 via Audible), a few days more don't make much of a difference.
Thanks for the reassurance content-wise!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
jvessey

Post by jvessey »

Mine could reasonably be called 368 pages
jvessey

Post by jvessey »

Is there going to be a separate thread to discuss the contents of the book?
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Mine's out for delivery today as well!
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

jvessey wrote:Is there going to be a separate thread to discuss the contents of the book?
There's a SPOILER thread for the book, which I'm avoiding. But I'd expect it will become that as people get the book and start reading. Maybe it has, as a few people have the book already.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mine arrived from Amazon!!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mace

Post by Mace »

I ordered the book and audio book on Sept 14th with free shipping. Amazon says that I will receive my package between Oct 24 -Oct 28th. I live in the NYC area.