'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by FrightNight »

madeleineferguson wrote:
Wouldn't Frost also find ways for other original Twin Peaks cast members to be a part of the audio book? The ones who are not on the cast list for the series? I think there could be some surprise returns in the audio books! And the series as well, but that's another topic altogether.
I've got time :) After all, it's not like the show's starting anytime soon ...
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

While I am excited for the prospect of surprises in the audio book, and the rumored addition of a second volume, (any expansion upon Twin Peaks should be good) is anyone else even slightly frustrated about the fact the first volume, if there is one, will not bridge the gap between seasons 2 and 3? I feel that that was my main motivation in pre-ordering the book in the first place, and how fans were suggested to view the book in the first place. To get everyone anticipating a 'new' part of the story, and then pull a U-turn like that is strange in my opinion. Then again, i'm assuming it's all conjecture. I guess I have to hope Frost really does "know what he's doing".
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

This.

And yup, seems there are people who defend Lynch/Frost no matter what. To be clear, I'm still buying the book, but bad surprises like that ruin a tad of my enthusiasm.
I'm definitely not one of the "but everything a producer craps out and catch grenades for them" camp.

Still stoked about VOLUME TWO. can't wait! When does it come?

Best,
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:While I am excited for the prospect of surprises in the audio book, and the rumored addition of a second volume, (any expansion upon Twin Peaks should be good) is anyone else even slightly frustrated about the fact the first volume, if there is one, will not bridge the gap between seasons 2 and 3? "
You're darn tootin' there is! And "slightly" would be an understatement, at least in my case.
Trudy Chelgren wrote: I feel that that was my main motivation in pre-ordering the book in the first place, and how fans were suggested to view the book in the first place. To get everyone anticipating a 'new' part of the story, and then pull a U-turn like that is strange in my opinion.
I'm right with you on that!
Trudy Chelgren wrote: Then again, i'm assuming it's all conjecture. I guess I have to hope Frost really does "know what he's doing".
From your lips to God's ears ... But I'm not placing any bets on anything regarding this production any more.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

It actually makes more sense to fill the gaps between season 2 and 3 after we've seen season 3. That means we start season 3 with more questions than answers, which is more satisfying than feeling like we're waiting for the show to catch up to us. Also, season 3 hasn't been edited down to its final form, so it's kinda hard to write up to something when you haven't settled on what that something is.

Twin Peaks is still primarily a visual experience for me, so I'd like the big reveals to land on the show first, and then get expanded on in prose.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I have to confess I'm not fussed about not knowing immediately about the gap between the original show and the new one.

It sounds like this book will be putting the events of the old show and FWWM in a larger context; the equivalent would be standing in a vast, pitch dark chamber with only a hand torch. By the sounds of it, the first book will switch on the electric house lights.

If that's the case, the information in volume one might give us just as much exciting information as an 'interquel' novel and might yet give big hints as to what happened after the show.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

It actually makes more sense to fill the gaps between season 2 and 3 after we've seen season 3. That means we start season 3 with more questions than answers, which is more satisfying than feeling like we're waiting for the show to catch up to us.
That's a really good point, it hadn't even occurred to me.
Twin Peaks is still primarily a visual experience for me, so I'd like the big reveals to land on the show first, and then get expanded on in prose.
Also true. I still find it hard to imagine having to try and invest myself in Twin Peaks and it's world without having any of the stipulated visuals. Can what was a TV show successfully become a novel? I've always felt that they were two really different formats. Everyone's made some really insightful responses.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:Can what was a TV show successfully become a novel? I've always felt that they were two really different formats. Everyone's made some really insightful responses.
A smart cross-media project makes the most of each of the media it employs instead of trying to beat a square TV peg into a round novel... straight-up adaptations are a waste of time in my book, but there may well be an untold book-shaped story hiding somewhere in a tv show, I think.
And imho, TP has been notably smart about it so far, presenting all in-universe documents (the diary, the tapes, the guide, now the dossier) instead of braving a classic novel format. For every type of information they wanted to convey (Laura's background, assorted city info...), they took the time and effort to find the perfect format. And I love this in a series that is entirely based on limited povs, by the way. Unreliable narrators everywhere! \o/
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Jerry Horne wrote:For what it's worth, both Mark and Flatiron follow me on Twitter and so far not a peep of denial.

Could the second book be titled 'The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks'? Did the name change happen after they realized they had too much material for one book?

Have I had too much coffee today?

I was just thinking that myself !!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

There is never too much coffee!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

There is never too much coffee! Now it's going to be Twin Peaks overdose. I hope in the last episode Laura doesn't say "I'll see you again in 25 years"
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Listenings to Diane's podcast and they mention the Elk's Club fire in '59 (E1S2 - Dr.Hayward to Cooper in Hospital bed).
We know Margareth's husband died in a fire just after their wedding. Say Margareth was around 50 in '89, the Elk's Club incident could be that fire.
Maybe the book will tell...:-)
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I will agree that the publisher could have been a lot more clear about what this book actually is, however, like any book, you can wait for the reviews if you're wary. I am not sure what to expect, but I am excited.

I imagine this is a tough balancing act, because a small fraction of the s3 audience will read this and I am guessing Lynch/Frost/Showtime would prefer to keep any major revelations for S3. I'm not expecting any earth-shattering revelations, but at the very least, an enriched and expanded view of the world we love.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Apologies if this has already been suggested, but if there is a second volume, it might indicate that the series will be split into two parts.

Then the second book would come out between the two blocks of shows. i.e. this might tie in with the 9->18 hour expansion.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

30 days...
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM