'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Jerry Horne »

As a Twin Peaks fan, I'm absolutely ecstatic that there might be two books instead of one.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

ForKeeps wrote:I'm not sure why Frost/the publisher can't just clear this up publicly. It's not like it would be spoiling the book or anything. I hope they're not purposely being vague about it because they know fewer people would buy the book knowing that it ends with the finale.
Yeah, I agree with others that the major problem here really is the lack of communication with the media and specifically the fans for whom this book is supposedly intended. I understand all the secrecy and protecting the mystery of the series that won't be airing for another six months or a year, but to not even clarify the content for a book that is to be released in a month? The book that people have on pre-order based on nothing more than the author and the title? Is it precisely because as ForKeeps mentioned earlier they are being purposely vague because they know fewer people would buy the book knowing it ends with the finale? I think this is where frustration and the inevitable disappointment (speaking for myself here) comes in, and why it makes me feel like this is a cash grab meant to make a sucker out of me, which is the one thing I will not allow, no matter how massive of a TP fan I am.

On a side note, I have to say how much I admire the resourcefulness and cleverness of people on this board who are able to figure major things out of tiny morsels of information we are given. It really makes me proud and happy to be a part of this board (regardless of the occasional disagreements). :D
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

GOOD GRIEF! And how about the series itself doubling in size? Why can't Lynch/Showtime stick to the 9 hours originally announced?? Now I'll have to subscribe to Showtime for twice as long!

Seriously, though, I too am just 100% thrilled for new Peaks, however it shakes out...
Last edited by OK,Bob on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Exactly my thoughts, underthefan! :)

And yeah I'm such a huge and loyal fan of Lynch and Peaks, therefore I'm not cancelling my order, also it won't throw me into financial troubles buying two books instead of one ;) but there's a certain taste to it now that I don't approve of. That's all.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

OK,Bob wrote:GOOD GRIEF! And how about the series itself doubling in size? Why can't Lynch/Showtime stick to the 9 hours originally announced?? Now I'll have to subscribe to Showtime for twice as long!

Seriousl though, I too am just 100% thrilled for new Peaks, however it shakes out...
Haha I was just typing out a post that was virtually identical to this
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

What's with all these people saying they want answers? Demanding answers is arguably what killed the damn thing in the first place.
Give me more mystery please. I want nothing more than to get lost in this dark and beautiful world again.
Last edited by ^◊^ on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

OK,Bob wrote:GOOD GRIEF! And how about the series itself doubling in size? Why can't Lynch/Showtime stick to the 9 hours originally announced?? Now I'll have to subscribe to Showtime for twice as long!

Seriously, though, I too am just 100% thrilled for new Peaks, however it shakes out...
Yeah, that was exactly my point: "There's too much Twin Peaks out there! TOO MUCH, I tells ya!!" Give me a break. You have every right to be thrilled about these news and buy five copies of the book, and I have every right to be disappointed and buy none. It's okay if we're in total disagreement. You can at least allow for that.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Everybody has their own reasons to be either thrilled or disappointed. I think we all just want quality entertainment that doesn't get tainted by impure influences like it did back in the day.

I'm 100% confident that once these dreams become a reality we'll all look back and have a big, therapeutic laugh with one another. And then immediately become melancholy that Twin Peaks will be over for good, for real, forever. At least it's on their terms this time.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mordeen wrote:Everybody has their own reasons to be either thrilled or disappointed. I think we all just want quality entertainment that doesn't get tainted by impure influences like it did back in the day.
Well said, Mordeen! I couldn't agree more!
thepope79

Post by thepope79 »

Mordeen wrote:Everybody has their own reasons to be either thrilled or disappointed. I think we all just want quality entertainment that doesn't get tainted by impure influences like it did back in the day.

I'm 100% confident that once these dreams become a reality we'll all look back and have a big, therapeutic laugh with one another. And then immediately become melancholy that Twin Peaks will be over for good, for real, forever. At least it's on their terms this time.

-Mordeen
I'm firmly in the 'thrilled' camp. Sure, my very first reaction when I read the speculation on these possible developments was to be annoyed that I've waited two years since the announcement of the book, and counted down the days until it's release, to read about what has happened in the years since the second season, but I soon decided that to wait a few more months won't kill me. Now I'll only be disappointed if there ISN'T a Volume Two.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

FrightNight wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:I'm not sure why Frost/the publisher can't just clear this up publicly.
Yep, that's my beef also ... Practically from the start (or announcement) of this project, communication with the public (and fans of the show) really wasn't the production's strong side. I mean, would it kill them to drop us a few basic informations, without going into details about the contents of the series itself?! It's like EVERYTHING's treated as a spoiler! C'mon ...
On the one hand, I agree with this: it's frustrating and agonizing that we're still speculating on the most basic aspects of the book at this late date. And the few official statements from Flatiron have been obtuse and perplexing (e.g., the PR lady saying it's "not a tie-in" to the series).

On the other hand, though, we do know a decent amount: it's a dossier compiled in connection with Laura's murder, it will entail a mystery regarding who compiled it and why, and there will be lots of "found"documents. We've gotten a trailer with glimpses of several documents from the book. And I'm almost certain the secrecy was requested by Frost (and possibly Lynch, if he cares about the book), which makes it OK by me.

Anytime I get frustrated by the secrecy, I think about how amazing it's going to be to hold that book in my hands for the first time and have NO CLUE precisely what the format is, what material it covers, and how it could all fit together. I'm going to be able to let it wash over me, every page-turn being a complete mystery, as I'm immersed in brand-new game-changing TP content. That, to me, is a much more exciting prospect than getting drips and drabs of content / teases.
Rudagger wrote:Also, where's all this continuity issue stuff coming from? Are there reviews for the book out? (I'm not overly concerned about continuity issues, the timeline of the show/movie was completely borked anyway, but, it's being talked about as fact now, so, I assume I'm missing something?)
There was quite a bit of chatter after the trailer that was released showing some of the docs from the book. The documents contained two seeming continuity errors: the Log Lady's tattoo as depicted on a Calhoun Hospital record looked like Briggs's tattoo, not Margaret's; and the letter from Gordon had a 2016 date, implying that the events of the earlier seasons (25 years ago) may be retconned to 1991.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

...to which Mark Frost replied in a way that implied that he knows what he's doing, which I appreciated. We'll see what it's all about, soon enough!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

:twisted: :!:
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

For some reason I always had it in my head this book was just mythology so count me as not disappointed whatsoever. Hooray for my poor comprehension tempering my expectations! :lol:
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

These books are a love letter to the real fans like us. The only people who are going to buy and read The Secret History/Secret Lives of Twin Peaks are fans who are truly invested in the show and the characters. Why would anyone else read them? These books are a gift to us.

So... Chris Mulkey is a contributor on the audio book, but not on the master cast list for the series. I smell a fish in the percolator. Even if Hank is in prison or dead, or just doesn't fit into the story of Season 3, Frost found a way to include Mulkey into the Twin Peaks renaissance.

Wouldn't Frost also find ways for other original Twin Peaks cast members to be a part of the audio book? The ones who are not on the cast list for the series? I think there could be some surprise returns in the audio books! And the series as well, but that's another topic altogether.