'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by bob_wooler »

tausendsassa wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:
tausendsassa wrote:I just found this, a German version of the audio book, scheduled for a mid-November release:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/books/detail/- ... um/3859738

Apparently read by a single person, Stefan Kaminski, who in the promo text is praised for his "voice morphing" technique. I have no idea how long it takes to produce an audio book (with a runtime of supposedly 780 minutes), but I guess at least one person already knows its contents ;-)
I assume this Kaminski guy is doing the German version, not the original one.
Yes, this is from the promo text for the German audio book.
bob_wooler wrote:Oh, and Kyle, Mulkey and the other cast voices are probably gonna be dubbed in German as well.
This might be the tricky part about localized/translated versions of the audio book. "They" (whoever that would be) probably don't know yet who will be the German voice of Dale Cooper or other characters in the German translated version of the new series (which I'm assuming we will get). And won't be bringing whoever was the German voice of Hank Jennings in the original show into the recording studio to read the part for this audio book. So, I guess, this is where the voice morphing comes into play. That being said, and I don't know the guy who is reading the German version, I'm only ever gonna buy the original English language audio book.
You are, IMO, making the right decition between the two versions :wink: Some jolly German guy being Cooper saying "Ich halte in meiner Hand eine Schachtel mit Schokoladenhasen" (google translate), doesn't quite do it for me :lol:
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

No offence :wink:
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Though German voice dub that was used for TP airing back in the 90's (I was stuck with a couple of VHS-recorded German episodes I've caught on cable as the only source to feed my TP obsession for a good number of years since we didn't have the VCR when TP originally aired in my country and didn't record it plus our TV stations reaired the show only in '98-'99 when I was finally able to tape it in its original form) was super professional - I'm not kiddin', especially the voices of the guys who did Cooper and Truman were so similar to MacLachlan's and Ontkean's that I wondered for a few times if they were actually not the original actors doing the dubbing themselves! :)
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

FrightNight wrote:Though German voice dub that was used for TP airing back in the 90's (I was stuck with a couple of VHS-recorded German episodes I've caught on cable as the only source to feed my TP obsession for a good number of years since we didn't have the VCR when TP originally aired in my country and didn't record it plus our TV stations reaired the show only in '98-'99 when I was finally able to tape it in its original form) was super professional - I'm not kiddin', especially the voices of the guys who did Cooper and Truman were so similar to MacLachlan's and Ontkean's that I wondered for a few times if they were actually not the original actors doing the dubbing themselves! :)
Yeah, I guess the translation and the voices were alright. For a long time, until the DVD boxes were released, I only ever knew the German version. Haven't watched it for a long time though. And back on topic, I actually find it interesting that there will be a German audio book released shortly after the English version. Does anyone know of other language versions?

I wonder how far in advance a project like a translated audio book has to be planned and who gets to decide on the aesthetics of a translated version. My guess is that whoever holds the rights to the original book gets to sell/license these rights to local markets, such as Germany. Then the licensee, a German publisher, can decide if they want to do an audio book as well and how they want to do it (for example, if they have one actor read the entire book or if they'd rather have several actors reading specific characters). But I don't know for sure. Anyone with any insight into how this is actually being done, feel free to share your insights with us ;-)
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Well, you guys across the Alps sure love your audiobooks, it makes sense for you to get a localised version even if it's less high-profile than the original (single actor vs full cast of original voices in English). Color me surprised if Italy gets one too, there's no love for audio books here.
I don't know for sure but your hypothesis sounds accurate - the copyright holders look at their respective markets and decide what to do, same as they decide whether to change the cover etc... But would they be able to do a full-cast version with the localised voices even if they wanted to? Dubbing is in the hands of s3's copyright holders and obviously hasn't started yet, so...

Apropos dubs, after joking for so long about how TP is so very anime I finally listened to the blu ray's Japanese audio track and goodness, it is /excellent/. I'll listen to the German too!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

i seemed to have missed this article last week from av club. at the end they say that mark frost will also be lending his voice to the audiobook. the article claims to be getting information directly from a press release..

http://www.avclub.com/article/diane-her ... -tw-241325
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Who is Cyril Pons?
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

musicaddict wrote:
Who is Cyril Pons?
tv reporter in the series played by mark frost
Attachments
B4H1U7nIAAAuPZ8.png
B4H1U7nIAAAuPZ8.png (187.31 KiB) Viewed 10253 times
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

beano wrote:
musicaddict wrote:
Who is Cyril Pons?
tv reporter in the series played by mark frost
:D ok, I googled and got a rugby player so I was really confused!
Mace

Post by Mace »

"Cyril Pons" is an anagram for "Corny Lips." Makes me wonder if Cyril has any interest in garmonbozia?

By the way, the "pons" is also part of the human brain stem.

Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogniti ... _of_dreams
"REM is generated by a small region of cells located in the brain stem called the pons (it sits slightly above the spinal cord at the nape of the neck). The pons releases acetylcholine which travels to parts of the forebrain."

Dale Cooper (Episode 3): "Acetylcholine neurons fire high voltage impulses into the forebrain. These impulses become pictures, the pictures become dreams, but no one knows why we choose these particular pictures."
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

It's Cyril Ponds, isn't it?
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mace

Post by Mace »

Panapaok wrote:It's Cyril Ponds, isn't it?
That's what I thought but Mark Frost keeps spelling it "Pons" on Twitter. (Maybe it was always Pons or perhaps he just retconned it from Ponds to Pons.)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 9942 times
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

madeleineferguson wrote:Possible origins/evolutions of BOB?

Denver Bob
Regardless, the origin of Denver Bob [Hodge] - over 30 years ago - is mentioned here at the [at about 8:52 in the interview]: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2999

[I suppose it's also possible that Wayne Charlie Chance could be the name of the journal writer who mentions Denver Bob.]
Last edited by OK,Bob on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Wow.... well spotted!

OK,Bob wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Possible origins/evolutions of BOB?

Denver Bob
Regardless, the origin of Denver Bob [Hodge] - over 30 years ago - is mentioned here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2999

[I suppose it's also possible that Wayne Charlie Chance could be the name of the journal writer who mentions Denver Bob.]

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/