'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by FrightNight »

Exceedingly happy that one of my fav characters, Hank Jennings, is apparently still somewhere in the Twin Peaks orbit! Now if only I could get me some Windom Earle and Annie Blackburn, at least mentioned in passing ...
Boy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Boy »

I would bet my money we will get a new trailer for the series before the audiobook. I think the first words spoken from Kyle MacLahclan/Cooper should be something from the new TV show, not from the book first.

After all, there's a great chance for a new trailer in David Lynch's Festival of Distruption.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

With Chris Mulkey added to this list yet apparently not featuring in the new series, we can conclude that he either dies somewhere off camera between S2 and S3 or that there are still a few surprises regarding the cast list.

I've got my fingers crossed for the latter *Please return Heather Graham* :?
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
mfleite
Roadhouse Member

Post by mfleite »

That's what I'm thinking concerning Hank. If he's not in the new series then we probably learn about his demise.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I'd guess the two new actors are purely "narrators" ie they will read out things that aren't directly attributable to characters in the show
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Great news!

As for Hank, I hope he's simply irrelevant to the new series (like, according to reports, Catherine, who isn't in because they didn't know how to write her in?). And I'm thrilled that they cared to get old actors who won't be in the series! This will be a wonderful goodbye to their characters, hopefully. And new names, who are most likely going to be book-only characters like that Robert from the Log Lady excerpt.

Still very confused by how it will all play out, tho.

And Coop whatcha doin there, weren't you AWOL or something
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

laughingpinecone wrote:Great news!

As for Hank, I hope he's simply irrelevant to the new series (like, according to reports, Catherine, who isn't in because they didn't know how to write her in?). And I'm thrilled that they cared to get old actors who won't be in the series! This will be a wonderful goodbye to their characters, hopefully. And new names, who are most likely going to be book-only characters like that Robert from the Log Lady excerpt.

Well, keep in mind, many of these documents are old, right? If it's an old case file that Coop wrote back in the 1990, they could get Kyle to read it.

But, yeah, to me that is the best handling. Fill in the gaps for characters who can't, for whatever reason, reprise their roles. I assume Major Briggs will get some sort of send off as well. I'm sure there's a handful of character that they wanted back in the series, but it just didn't make sense to do it, who will get their due in the novel.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It would be lovely if Piper Laurie was able to put in a voice role as Catherine. That would make me so happy, since the circumstances of her not doing the new show are murky.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Damn- just pre-ordered the audio book, having already pre-ordered the book. It's basically like having a 10 hour Twin Peaks radio series!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Rudagger wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:Great news!

Well, keep in mind, many of these documents are old, right? If it's an old case file that Coop wrote back in the 1990, they could get Kyle to read it.

But, yeah, to me that is the best handling. Fill in the gaps for characters who can't, for whatever reason, reprise their roles. I assume Major Briggs will get some sort of send off as well. I'm sure there's a handful of character that they wanted back in the series, but it just didn't make sense to do it, who will get their due in the novel.
Oh, I know I know! It could be anything ranging from old tapes to Diane to weird messages from the Lodge to DoppelCoop saying hi. OR maybe the author's Coop, for all we know.
And yes!! That's been my hope all along, and if we got Dougie Milford of all people in the preview I very well hope that we're gonna see EVERYONE throughout these 300+ pages! I really hope everyone is gonna get their time under the spotlight.

...I originally assumed this released cast list would be partial, but the actual news don't seem to confirm it explicitly. What do you think are the chances that these are all the voices we're gonna hear? Maybe the actors are just voicing their characters' audio recordings, leaving the main narrator to take care of all the other documents? If that's the case, this is one weird list of characters & I'm intrigued.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

I just found this, a German version of the audio book, scheduled for a mid-November release:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/books/detail/- ... um/3859738

Apparently read by a single person, Stefan Kaminski, who in the promo text is praised for his "voice morphing" technique. I have no idea how long it takes to produce an audio book (with a runtime of supposedly 780 minutes), but I guess at least one person already knows its contents ;-)
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

tausendsassa wrote:I just found this, a German version of the audio book, scheduled for a mid-November release:

Apparently read by a single person, Stefan Kaminski, who in the promo text is praised for his "voice morphing" technique. I have no idea how long it takes to produce an audio book (with a runtime of supposedly 780 minutes), but I guess at least one person already knows its contents ;-)
I assume this Kaminski guy is doing the German version, not the original one.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Oh, and Kyle, Mulkey and the other cast voices are probably gonna be dubbed in German as well.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

bob_wooler wrote:
tausendsassa wrote:I just found this, a German version of the audio book, scheduled for a mid-November release:

I assume this Kaminski guy is doing the German version, not the original one.
Yes, this is from the promo text for the German audio book.
bob_wooler wrote:Oh, and Kyle, Mulkey and the other cast voices are probably gonna be dubbed in German as well.
This might be the tricky part about localized/translated versions of the audio book. "They" (whoever that would be) probably don't know yet who will be the German voice of Dale Cooper or other characters in the German translated version of the new series (which I'm assuming we will get). And won't be bringing whoever was the German voice of Hank Jennings in the original show into the recording studio to read the part for this audio book. So, I guess, this is where the voice morphing comes into play. That being said, and I don't know the guy who is reading the German version, I'm only ever gonna buy the original English language audio book.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I'm starting to finally receive feedback from the place hosting the L.A. book signing, and once I have all the details I will post them here, at which point anyone from the area who would like to attend as a group can message me and we'll coordinate.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .