'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Mordeen »

Jerry Horne wrote:I've heard back from Powell's Books and does look like they will offer signed copies of TSHOTP for mail order. This will be a pre-order situation.
Interesting. I would prefer to have my personal copy inscribed. Highly doubtful you'd get that through a pre-signed pre-order.

I hope there's definitive info on the L.A. signing soon. Need to make those plans.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

Mordeen wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I've heard back from Powell's Books and does look like they will offer signed copies of TSHOTP for mail order. This will be a pre-order situation.
Interesting. I would prefer to have my personal copy inscribed. Highly doubtful you'd get that through a pre-signed pre-order.

I hope there's definitive info on the L.A. signing soon. Need to make those plans.

-Mordeen
Even at some in-person book signings, an author may not personalize a book. I think it really depends on how many people show up and how long the author will be at the signing. It requires more time for an author to personalize and the book store ultimately wants to get as many people through the door. Personally what I can't stand is when some people stand there and tell an author their life story and thus, some people towards the end of the line don't get to meet the author, etc.
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

Jugger wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Personally what I can't stand is when some people stand there and tell an author their life story and thus, some people towards the end of the line don't get to meet the author, etc.
And this (along with people cutting in line) is why I missed getting Laura Harring's autograph at the Twin Peaks fest this year.
A salamander spit donuts.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

wow! really sugarhigh? jeez! fans should have respect for other fans. I remember getting Chris Isaaks autogragh after a couple of his shows way back without paying to get an autograph(way back then) and had no problem. at small venues after the concert sorry to hear about that esp. at a tp fest it should've been more organized. I.M.O. I would be ticked too! not only that but the actors and all, was there a time limit on signing? just saying if ya pay to get an autograph ya get one. you pay you get. hope you know what I mean. sorry for ranting.
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

Rebel wrote:wow! really sugarhigh? jeez! fans should have respect for other fans. I remember getting Chris Isaaks autogragh after a couple of his shows way back without paying to get an autograph(way back then) and had no problem. at small venues after the concert sorry to hear about that esp. at a tp fest it should've been more organized. I.M.O. I would be ticked too! not only that but the actors and all, was there a time limit on signing? just saying if ya pay to get an autograph ya get one. you pay you get. hope you know what I mean. sorry for ranting.
I have never attended the TP festival despite the fact that it's held practically in my back yard so I am unsure how it goes with regards to celebrity signings, I know at conventions they charge for their autographs, most if not all celebrities who attend do. Getting a free signature by meeting someone on set or at a concert like you did is always a nice treat. There is a big wine event here locally by my place, Kyle has his own wine label out and I believe he has been to it in the past, not sure if he is attending this year, but is being held August 18-20th a few minutes from my place, not sure if I will go to it though, not a wine drinker. ;-)
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

sugarhigh wrote:
Jugger wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Personally what I can't stand is when some people stand there and tell an author their life story and thus, some people towards the end of the line don't get to meet the author, etc.
And this (along with people cutting in line) is why I missed getting Laura Harring's autograph at the Twin Peaks fest this year.
At the 2014 Twin Peaks Fest, I was waiting in line to get Sherilyn Fenn's autograph. I was maybe eight people back. Fenn had been having a rough go at that time. I'm not sure exactly what was going on but she seemed pretty out of it, as if she were a little buzzed or on some kind of medication. The venue had no AC, so it was deathly hot in there and people were already cranky. The Fest allowed two items signed free, and after that you could buy tickets for more items. Some dude pulled out at least 40 or 50 photo prints of Fenn (some nude) and asked her to sign all of them. This took fucking forever. Fenn kept seeing certain photos and getting really emotional over them because of all the memories they were bringing back. Eventually she got up and left. For about 15-20 minutes the rest of us in line weren't sure if we should just leave or wait. Finally, the Fest organizer found her and got her to come back. I finally did get a picture and an autograph, but I felt kind of bad even asking at that point. And there were so many people behind me still that I have to think at least some of them missed out. All because some a-hole wanted every photo she'd ever done signed.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

sugarhigh wrote:
Jugger wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Yeah, we got cut off from getting Laura's autograph as well. It was bunk.

Ultimately, at signings the celeb needs a good handler to keep the line moving. I have several inscribed books because the handler would tell you to have your book out and open to the page you want signed and just give the author your name. I compliment them on the book or their work and then move on. If someone gets chatty the handler politely tells them to fuck off!

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I can't remember what location said it, but they said there would be no personalized signatures and not to bring anything else to be signed. This could be the case everywhere.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Jerry Horne wrote:I can't remember what location said it, but they said there would be no personalized signatures and not to bring anything else to be signed. This could be the case everywhere.
Sigh. I'll unpack the Peaks U-haul then...
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

When attending a book signing, naturally the author is there to sign the book, sometimes they limit you to one or two copies, other times they will sign as many copies as you buy at the store hosting the event. Regarding other items, it doesn't hurt to bring one other item with you just in case. When you approach you can always have that secondary item ready and politely ask if they would sign it. Some times you will be in luck, other times it will be a polite "No, sorry" back. Sometimes if you are towards the end of the line it may work to have that other item signed, often times they will say "no" to those in the front of the line because if everyone else sees the author sign a non-book item related to the event, then everyone will expect it, but if you are towards the end of the line, you may get away with it.

Regarding the TP festival where the guy had 40-50 photos signed, while that person is certainly entitled to having that many items signed provided they paid for the tickets to get that many items signed, people like that should be towards the end of the line. They should announce that anyone with 5, perhaps 10 or more items to force a separate line and that they will get their items signed, but they want to go through those who have only a few items or one first. It's money in the celebrities pocket so I would think they would sit there as long as need be.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Available on Kindle.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
scotchka

Post by scotchka »

Jerry Horne wrote:Available on Kindle.

Audible.com as well. " Narrated by: To Be Announced "
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Jerry Horne wrote:Available on Kindle.
Thank You Very Much for the info!!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

LonelySoul wrote: At the 2014 Twin Peaks Fest, I was waiting in line to get Sherilyn Fenn's autograph. I was maybe eight people back. Fenn had been having a rough go at that time. I'm not sure exactly what was going on but she seemed pretty out of it, as if she were a little buzzed or on some kind of medication. The venue had no AC, so it was deathly hot in there and people were already cranky. The Fest allowed two items signed free, and after that you could buy tickets for more items. Some dude pulled out at least 40 or 50 photo prints of Fenn (some nude) and asked her to sign all of them. This took fucking forever. Fenn kept seeing certain photos and getting really emotional over them because of all the memories they were bringing back. Eventually she got up and left. For about 15-20 minutes the rest of us in line weren't sure if we should just leave or wait. Finally, the Fest organizer found her and got her to come back. I finally did get a picture and an autograph, but I felt kind of bad even asking at that point. And there were so many people behind me still that I have to think at least some of them missed out. All because some a-hole wanted every photo she'd ever done signed.
Well, I wasn't at the 2014 TP fest but if things really happened the way you said it, I don't blame the guy with the excessive pics and to call him an "a-hole" is kind of unfair.
Could be that Sherilyn is his favorite actress of all time and he traveled a long way to meet her. I wouldn't blame the guy for getting over excited. I once traveled from Brazil to attend the fest and I don't think I'll be able to come back (would love to tho, it was a magical experience).
As for handing nude pics for her to sign, as long as he was handing the artistic pics she did for Playboy or similar shoots I don't see a problem with that. They're artistic pics and she did them consensually, why would she have a problem?

Anyway, if Sherilyn wasn't feeling well, was over emotional for whatever reason, the organizers should let attendees know she would only sign a few items because of special circunstances or whatever it was. It's not the guy's fault he didn't know this. I blame lack of organization, not the guy.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
LonelySoul wrote: At the 2014 Twin Peaks Fest, I was waiting in line to get Sherilyn Fenn's autograph. I was maybe eight people back. Fenn had been having a rough go at that time. I'm not sure exactly what was going on but she seemed pretty out of it, as if she were a little buzzed or on some kind of medication. The venue had no AC, so it was deathly hot in there and people were already cranky. The Fest allowed two items signed free, and after that you could buy tickets for more items. Some dude pulled out at least 40 or 50 photo prints of Fenn (some nude) and asked her to sign all of them. This took fucking forever. Fenn kept seeing certain photos and getting really emotional over them because of all the memories they were bringing back. Eventually she got up and left. For about 15-20 minutes the rest of us in line weren't sure if we should just leave or wait. Finally, the Fest organizer found her and got her to come back. I finally did get a picture and an autograph, but I felt kind of bad even asking at that point. And there were so many people behind me still that I have to think at least some of them missed out. All because some a-hole wanted every photo she'd ever done signed.
Well, I wasn't at the 2014 TP fest but if things really happened the way you said it, I don't blame the guy with the excessive pics and to call him an "a-hole" is kind of unfair.
Could be that Sherilyn is his favorite actress of all time and he traveled a long way to meet her. I wouldn't blame the guy for getting over excited. I once traveled from Brazil to attend the fest and I don't think I'll be able to come back (would love to tho, it was a magical experience).
As for handing nude pics for her to sign, as long as he was handing the artistic pics she did for Playboy or similar shoots I don't see a problem with that. They're artistic pics and she did them consensually, why would she have a problem?

Anyway, if Sherilyn wasn't feeling well, was over emotional for whatever reason, the organizers should let attendees know she would only sign a few items because of special circunstances or whatever it was. It's not the guy's fault he didn't know this. I blame lack of organization, not the guy.
I respectfully disagree. An individual's circumstances surrounding attending an event like the Fest doesn't make him any more special than anyone else. Getting 40-50 signed items is autograph farming and there's no way he did it for purely altruistic reasons. They placed restrictions on the number of autographed items because of this exact type of circumstance.

As an example: My family approached Jonny Leppel's table to get an autograph. Aside from the fact that he didn't charge for it (yay!), he was gracious enough to answer a couple of my questions, and his wife in attendance was also equally gracious with her time. We found that a conversation was starting, so we hung out at his table for almost thirty minutes. But we also recognized that we didn't live in a bubble, and that other people were there for the same reason, so we would stand aside and be quiet while other fans approached for autographs and to chat.

It's about respect. The guy in the '14 Fest example was disrespectful toward Sherilyn and the other fans if that's what truly went down. Placing blame outside of him for not knowing restraint is a bit daft in my opinion.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .