'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by laughingpinecone »

Ross wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Wait you're saying this confirms or denies the accuracy of the Access Guide?
I was wondering that myself. I actually don't have the access guide, but was wondering if some of the history would match the history in that. But seeing as they didn't even get the tattoo right, who knows...
As an Access Guide fan, I haven't seen a single line from the new book contradict it so far. On the contrary, it already mentioned the Lewis-Clark expedition encountering something weird, and Margaret was a Libra all along.

I'm also willing to give Frost the benefit of doubt re: the tattoo... the 1991 retcon is bad, but the reasoning behind it is rather transparent. And some mistakes are bound to happen. But this is such a big one... idk, I've got my trusted pitchfork at the ready but I'm not taking it out just yet.

...maybe Annie was married to her unnamed abuser, à la Shelly, and took his surname?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

From Gordon's letter: Laura's case is considered closed, unlike in the earlier synopsis. That's good news, at least. And the agent may have something more to do in the near future, basically confirming her presence in season 3?

ETA the agent's got a long name...
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I took a peek at the "leaked" photo of the Double R Diner menu. It says it opened in 1938 to founder and owner Marty Lindstrom and mentions who I presume is his wife, Ilsa Lindstrom.

Are we assuming these are Norma's grandparents?

Norma's postcard to "Mom and Dad" aka Mr. and Mrs. Lindstrom is written in 1969.

Wasn't her mother's name Vivian Smythe? That would be a massive continuity error if Ilsa is actually Norma's mother. But Norma's maiden name also seems to be a continuity error as "Lindstrom," no?

And didn't her mom say something to the effect of "This is just not a good restaurant" in season two?

Someone give me a reasonable theory on all of this!
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Do we think that every single document in the dossier somehow relates to Project Bluebook, Cooper's disappearance and/or the Lodges?

Really curious about the inclusion of Norma's postcard from Los Angeles. Glad to see a mention of Hank, though.

There's a few documents from 1947... Dougie's Buick sale, the UFO sighting in Boise by Kenneth Arnold and Margaret's hospital report.
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Ufo sightings ... is a creamed corn planet (aka creamed corn place outta there) making an appearance after all
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I took a peek at the "leaked" photo of the Double R Diner. It says it opened in 1938 to founder and owner Marty Lindstrom and mentions who I presume is his wife, Ilsa Lindstrom.

Her postcard to "Mom and Dad" aka Mr. and Mrs. Lindstrom is written in 1969.

Wasn't her mother's name Vivian Smythe? That would be a massive continuity error if Ilsa is actually Norma's mother. But Norma's maiden name also seems to be a continuity error as "Lindstrom," no?

And didn't her mom say something to the effect of "This is just not a good restaurant" in season two?

Yeah- none of it makes much sense. I'd say the founders were her grandparents. Their son probably married Vivian. It does seem like a bit of a continuity error though that Vivian or Norma wouldn't have mentioned the diner was once her grandparent's though. I'm not sure where the Smythe came from- Was it mentioned in the show?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Is the ominous sound playing over the video simply a VHS tape rewinding?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Ross wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:I took a peek at the "leaked" photo of the Double R Diner. It says it opened in 1938 to founder and owner Marty Lindstrom and mentions who I presume is his wife, Ilsa Lindstrom.

Her postcard to "Mom and Dad" aka Mr. and Mrs. Lindstrom is written in 1969.

Yeah- none of it makes much sense. I'd say the founders were her grandparents. Their son probably married Vivian. It does seem like a bit of a continuity error though that Vivian or Norma wouldn't have mentioned the diner was once her grandparent's though. I'm not sure where the Smythe came from- Was it mentioned in the show?
Well, Vivian got divorced in order to later be married to Ernie Niles. No idea where the name "Smythe" actually came from, was it mentioned in the show? Would love if someone recalled/could find out. Perhaps it was in a script somewhere? I saw it on the TP Wiki website.
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

EDIT: Redacted post
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:As for the tattoo "error," I don't recall the tattoo in the show but based on the screen shot below, was it on the inside of her elbow/arm? The medical report on the book page strictly mentions the tattoo is on the inside of her right knee. So this would not be an error, she just has two tattoos.

No- this is indeed her leg in the photo. That's the bottom of her skirt. It is on the back side of where her knee is- as described in the report. Her tattoo was also in the script for FWWM- "glowing beet red on the back of her leg" as she hears the girls and leland the night Laura was killed. Not sure if they filmed it though as the scene in the Missing Pieces doesn't include it.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Ross wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:As for the tattoo "error," I don't recall the tattoo in the show but based on the screen shot below, was it on the inside of her elbow/arm? The medical report on the book page strictly mentions the tattoo is on the inside of her right knee. So this would not be an error, she just has two tattoos.

No- this is indeed her leg in the photo. That's the bottom of her skirt. It is on the back side of where her knee is- as described in the report. Her tattoo was also in the script for FWWM- "glowing beet red on the back of her leg" as she hears the girls and leland the night Laura was killed. Not sure if they filmed it though as the scene in the Missing Pieces doesn't include it.
Sorry, meant to redact the post! I realized it was the back of her leg.

Does the FWWW script describe the shape/style of the tattoo?

Perhaps the tattoo has changed over time due to supernatural forces? In one of the other "leaked" photos, you can also see the original tattoo symbol right on the book under the photo of the owl.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Just found the "Smythe" name in the episode 2x08 script:

http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/script15.html

Perhaps Vivian's maiden name was Smythe and she was going by Vivian Smythe after she divorced Mr. Lindstrom and before she married Ernie Niles? Still seems odd how she acted about the restaurant when her former husband's parents were the original owners (presumably).
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Re all potential continuity errors - due to alternative realities / timelines maybe as speculated earlier elsewhere?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

All I know is that Norma's family ties were already a mess and now they're rivalling the epic soap opera setup of the Martells and Packards from the Access Guide :shock:
Fingers crossed that at least some of it makes sense.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Both Lynch and Frost - and everyone involved with the show over the years, frankly - have often had a pretty lax relationship with continuity errors in filmed vs. ancillary material. It's stuff I've just handwaved since the diary and FWWM, along with Coop's book.

That being said, I'll bet some of these gaffes get fixed between now and print.

I did not see the initially leaked photos. Does anyone have those to see, the ones that are not in the teaser?

Another possibility re: Norma - she was never close to her mother, who seemed eager to leave provincial Twin Peaks behind. Maybe she did and Norma was raised by her grandparents, the Lindstroms. As for Annie, ya got me. Maybe Smythe is Vivian's maiden name which she took back as a professional writer.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.