'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/

Post by N. Needleman »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Does anyone know if the book will spoil anything from the show? I know they won't give out major plot or anything but say for example the book tells us Nadine and Ed are still together and Norma is pining away and then in the first episode they show us that. I'd rather have that reveal in the show than read it in a book. However I do want to read the book but I don't want to hear anything first in the book before I see it in the show. If that makes sense.
I think it will set up a lot of that status quo.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Does anyone know if the book will spoil anything from the show? I know they won't give out major plot or anything but say for example the book tells us Nadine and Ed are still together and Norma is pining away and then in the first episode they show us that. I'd rather have that reveal in the show than read it in a book. However I do want to read the book but I don't want to hear anything first in the book before I see it in the show. If that makes sense.
I would say at this point no one knows. But since one of the reasons for the book is to fill in parts of the 25 year gap, I would say we'll learn a lot more about what had happened to some of the characters. Perhaps how Audrey survived the bank explosion, for instance. Or maybe that Donna moved away (total speculation). So if you want to know nothing about the characters first don't read it. But some of those things might not be touched on at all in the new season. For example again- maybe the bank explosion isn't mentioned on the show, just the book.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
cart

Post by cart »

Ross wrote:
I would say at this point no one knows. But since one of the reasons for the book is to fill in parts of the 25 year gap, I would say we'll learn a lot more about what had happened to some of the characters. Perhaps how Audrey survived the bank explosion, for instance. Or maybe that Donna moved away (total speculation). So if you want to know nothing about the characters first don't read it. But some of those things might not be touched on at all in the new season. For example again- maybe the bank explosion isn't mentioned on the show, just the book.
Exactly what I am hoping for. It wouldn't make any sense after 25+ years to mention all of the lingering plot threads during this new series/season. We should also find out the fate of many of the characters who are not in the show for whatever reason and maybe some of what happened to Coop and any more strange happenings in the woods.

Can't wait.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Based upon the vintage style of the picture of the falls on the cover, I would suspect we're going to get details that far predate the the timeline featured in the show as well.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Mordeen wrote:Based upon the vintage style of the picture of the falls on the cover, I would suspect we're going to get details that far predate the the timeline featured in the show as well.

-Mordeen

That is what I thought when looking at it too...Sort of like FWWM...Prequel/Sequel kinda thing
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Ross wrote:
I would agree with you, things that need to be addressed from the series finale but don't really play a direct factor in the new season. Maybe we can also get phone calls or transcripts of Ben and Donna's relationship. Hospital report on Annie's condition (comatose, irreversible, etc.) or something of that nature. I also am picturing in-universe artwork and details, things like newspaper articles detailing the deaths, obituaries or funeral notices for Pete, Andrew and Leo (presumably). Maybe ads for new business ventures, like Nadine's drapes shop, the fact that the Double R now has drive-through, what happened to Ghostwood - things of that nature.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I expect at least a lengthy chapter on the current status on the Pine weasel population
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

kafa81 wrote: I might sound like and idiot, but, I just noticed that the owl cave rings lines on the side are symbols for the two mountains or Twin Peaks...Am I the only person late to this party?
Apparently not, I'm just noticing this too
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'm hoping there will also be some history preceding all of the classic series events, possibly even before the town was settled, some native American history perhaps or the origins of the presence in the woods.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Soolsma wrote:I'm hoping there will also be some history preceding all of the classic series events, possibly even before the town was settled, some native American history perhaps or the origins of the presence in the woods.
Interesting. I remember 2-3 years ago, before the announcement of "season 3", there was a discussion on if TP were to return - how could/would/should they do it. Back then, I had a "vision", that the best and maybe only way was to go way back in time - when the first settlers started buliding the town - including stories of native americans, the presence in the woods, Ghostwood, Glastonbury Grove and introducing familiar names as Palmer, Horne, Truman, Hayward etc. So I really hope some elements in the book will go in that direction.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

:)

some elaboration on what happened to Leland as a child would also be great
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I'm not sure why people are worried about spoilers.

It's an official release. Mark Frost is also all about keeping the mystery alive, so, I'm sure he and Lynch both feel that the book being released before the show is ideal and that it can be read before the new season.

I mean, didn't The Diary of Laura Palmer come out before the killer had been revealed but still managed to not spoil it?

I guess that is to say, I trust the creators know what they're doing and that they aren't dropping a book that somehow ruins the experience of seeing the new season for the first time.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Soolsma wrote::)

some elaboration on what happened to Leland as a child would also be great
Haha, I actually found it here:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2477

(not a bad thread to pick up, actually...:-) )
edit: the photo in that thread the same as the book cover???

hmmmm....this is a difficult one......
What about going back, say 100 years, to the time around when the town of Twin Peaks was in it's birth.
The first inhabitants, with family names we already know, like Horne, Palmer, Johnson, Martell, Briggs - and some strange connections with the people we know from the series 100 years later.
The founding of the bookhouse boys, and how the people of Twin Peaks first noticed that there were something strange in the woods...
Things happening there with strange connections to the lodges, BOB, owl cave, Blue Book Project....
The mill, Indian culture, the woods......
Last edited by chalfont on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I'm sure someone has already posted, but just in case: http://us.macmillan.com/static/fib/twin-peaks/

I heard from my cousin @ Flatiron that www.thesecrethistoryoftwinpeaks.com should be live very soon (maybe even as early as later today).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Oh, shit. Please let it have more of a tease than just name, cover and date.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.