'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks' new novel by M. Frost 2

Post by MasterMastermind »

I always viewed that and the Diane Keaton episode as almost the nadir of the show, and right after the drawer pull scene there's a noticeable jump in quality.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

MasterMastermind wrote:I always viewed that and the Diane Keaton episode as almost the nadir of the show, and right after the drawer pull scene there's a noticeable jump in quality.
I see it more as things starting to get back on track, still straining, but improving, with some great sequences like this one among the mess. I agree the quality does take a massive jump forward with the next episode, though.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Yeah, the drawer pull is a Lynch idea, and I guess Josie was originally incorporated into FWWM in some bigger way. It's not the best Black Lodge dweller scene, but it is a highlight of that period of the show. I definitely prefer it to the ARGGH I AM BOB MARRGGH of the diary.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Add my name to those who love the drawer pull scene. I think the merest hint of red room stuff gets a (possibly unearned) shiver from me tho.

I'd be more amenable to the conventional wisdom re the renewed focus of the last 6 episodes if I didn't hate fucking windom earle and his corny speechifying
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I would have loved to have seen the bit that was planned with Josie in the Red Room and her head protruding beyond the curtains. I also wished we'd seen her face in Episode 27 when Pete said he could see her and Ben Horne whirled around. You know, the whole drawer pull isn't really as crazy as it seems/seemed to some people. Not just weird for sake of being weird. It makes sense that ghosts get trapped in the wood. This was always a hint in the show, what with the Log Lady and her husband and her log, and the name of the development Ghostwood Properties, and a line from Major Briggs when, disorientated, he rubs a wooden table and says something like "Is my soul meant for this?" I just wish the theme had been developed more. Probably would have, had the show continued. Maybe it will even be addressed in Mark Frost's book, if the lodge mythology is included! That would be great. Or in a future series, should that happen. But I'd settle for the novel addressing the spirits in the wood.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Jonah wrote:This was always a hint in the show, what with the Log Lady and her husband and her log, and the name of the development Ghostwood Properties, and a line from Major Briggs when, disorientated, he rubs a wooden table and says something like "Is my soul meant for this?"
I bet this is where David Lynch got the idea. I agree it's not as random as it seem at first blush.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I just saw my cousin who is an editor at Macmillan, the publishing company that is meant to publish the novel (or their division Flatiron is, rather). He said it just came up in their staff meeting this week, but unfortunately it sounds like it's all sort of up in the air, like everything else with this project. He said they're anxiously awaiting news from Showtime to determine the fate of the book. Like us, they are hoping it all works out, but it sounds like they know about as much as we do, unfortunately. Sorry, wish I had more to report!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

TheArm wrote:I just saw my cousin who is an editor at Macmillan, the publishing company that is meant to publish the novel (or their division Flatiron is, rather). He said it just came up in their staff meeting this week, but unfortunately it sounds like it's all sort of up in the air, like everything else with this project. He said they're anxiously awaiting news from Showtime to determine the fate of the book. Like us, they are hoping it all works out, but it sounds like they know about as much as we do, unfortunately. Sorry, wish I had more to report!
That's too bad but thank you for the report! :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Update from Welcome to Twin Peaks:
Dana said Mark Frost’s The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks book is completed, but its release is uncertain and depends on the ongoing negotiations with Showtime.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

For the love of the deep dark woods, can you imagine if the show didn't go forward, and the book publication was cancelled, yet we knew there was a completed book locked away somewhere? Let us pray that this does not happen. We've suffered enough.
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

Dalai Cooper wrote:
I'd be more amenable to the conventional wisdom re the renewed focus of the last 6 episodes if I didn't hate fucking windom earle and his corny speechifying
Haha....well said.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Jonah wrote:
MasterMastermind wrote:I always viewed that and the Diane Keaton episode as almost the nadir of the show, and right after the drawer pull scene there's a noticeable jump in quality.
I see it more as things starting to get back on track, still straining, but improving, with some great sequences like this one among the mess. I agree the quality does take a massive jump forward with the next episode, though.
I can't remember which specific episode(s) I'm thinking of, but, it is part of the Windom Earle storyline;

For me, the absolute lowest point of the show is when Ted Raimi pops up (gets stuffed into a giant chess piece). It's ridiculous, hammy, and completely pulls me out of the show. I don't mind Ted Raimi's bit parts in Sam Raimi films, but, it drives me nuts when his face shows up in this. It just reminds me so much that I'm watching a television show. It doesn't help that I find that the death like that sort of trivializes the preceding murders on the show (Maddy/Laura are such a big deal, and shock to this town .. and then there's a giant chess piece with a dead biker in it ..).
Attachments
BGtbJC4CAAAwpQb.jpg
BGtbJC4CAAAwpQb.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

I'd definitely agree about Windom. He was an interesting idea for a character, but I find his over-the-top speeches to be a bit grating. If you read the script to the final episode, Windom Earle has a ton of hammy dialogue throughout the Black Lodge sequences. Thankfully Lynch returned and did what he did. It really goes to show what sensibilities Lynch brought the entire series looking at the way the episode turned out compared to the script. I always got the idea that Lynch didn't really like that character, as he is dispatched pretty quickly. I know Bob Engels mentioned something about the original script of FWWM had something to do with Windom Earle in Buenos Aires, but the finished film has no mention of him at all.
Rudagger wrote: For me, the absolute lowest point of the show is when Ted Raimi pops up (gets stuffed into a giant chess piece). It's ridiculous, hammy, and completely pulls me out of the show. I don't mind Ted Raimi's bit parts in Sam Raimi films, but, it drives me nuts when his face shows up in this. It just reminds me so much that I'm watching a television show. It doesn't help that I find that the death like that sort of trivializes the preceding murders on the show (Maddy/Laura are such a big deal, and shock to this town .. and then there's a giant chess piece with a dead biker in it ..).
He apparently was going to come back for a third season...
Ted Raimi on his character of Heavy Metal Youth/Rusty Tomaski: "After the character dies in the show, Windom Earle was going to reincarnate [Tomaski] and bring [him] back as a college student, so i'd be like, doing [Earle's] bidding, you know? [Laughter] Like a zombie! It was so crazy. I just respected that so much, that [the producers] weren't too worried about the falling ratings. It was a true artist's show."
That probably would have been ridiculous (and not in a good way lol). Hopefully this won't be plot element in Mark's book...
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I love the idea of Windom Earle, and I think a lot of his speeches are very well-written; I think Kenneth Welsh plays the character to the hilt. I think the onscreen execution of the character is what often faltered, and it wasn't on the actor. He just didn't need a bunch of wacky disguises or to be traipsing about the woods in long underwear. It was funny until it wasn't.

The first time I saw the storyline I thought it was just a lot of fun, now I think it's a bit tonally off at times. It improves as it goes on, IMO. I have to wonder if the issue didn't lie with Peyton and Engels, who, while great writers, admitted in Brad Dukes' book that they got too enamored of "slapstick". And if it was their idea to bring not only him but Ted Raimi back for Season 3 - I just can't see a point to any of that, myself. I thought Lynch made it very clear Earle was just a dust mote in the abyss of BOB and the Black Lodge, and I took his dismissal in the finale to mean he had been eradicated and would never return.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Well, don't forget Mark Frost co-wrote the episode in which good old Rusty makes his debut (his first script in 10 episodes). So maybe we will see him again...the zombie lives.