The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Mordeen wrote:It's kinda funny in the sense that all of this and none of it are the framework for Season 3, ever moreso that this thread has devolved from the book so heavily.

Just be prepared to be shocked. Expectations or assumptions are fun but they are likely to be dashed by what you are actually shown.

-Mordeen
So surprised do you think we'll be? I would like.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Mordeen wrote:It's kinda funny in the sense that all of this and none of it are the framework for Season 3, ever moreso that this thread has devolved from the book so heavily.

Just be prepared to be shocked. Expectations or assumptions are fun but they are likely to be dashed by what you are actually shown.

-Mordeen
Surprised, you will be. Trust me.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

So .. I wonder if Mark Frost has started to write the next book.

I wonder how the book sales ended up being (hopefully good enough to justify a follow-up!)

I have this unreasonable fear that the show will come out, ratings will be just 'eh', and the follow-up book will never happen (I guess, just based on what happened to Twin Peaks in the 90's), or that Lynch will turn around and say 'no more Peaks after the show' and put the kibosh on anymore merchandising/media again.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Rudagger wrote:So .. I wonder if Mark Frost has started to write the next book.

I wonder how the book sales ended up being (hopefully good enough to justify a follow-up!)

I have this unreasonable fear that the show will come out, ratings will be just 'eh', and the follow-up book will never happen (I guess, just based on what happened to Twin Peaks in the 90's), or that Lynch will turn around and say 'no more Peaks after the show' and put the kibosh on anymore merchandising/media again.
Given the series is being split across two years, I was under the impression that the next book will show up between seasons. I remain unconvinced the show will be as massive a hit as some people believe, but there'll certainly be enough of a niche audience to pick up another book, I suspect.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Actually, with regard to the contradictions, it reminds me a bit of the latest X-Files season. The new season's basic premise overturned several aspects of the original show and barefacedly ignored or reinterpreted things stated as fact in the regular show.

The new X-Files was controversial with some fans and slightly slips into Mark Frost's 'A Very Merry X-Files Christmas Show' territory, although I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of it. I actually hope that, between 'new' seasons, the X-Files team watches the new Twin Peaks, since The X-Files owes A LOT to a Twin Peaks.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I liked the new X files as well. I binge watched all of the old series before it came on (having originally dropped out at series 5 or so) and it felt very consistent to me, including the flaws.

Has it been confirmed that Twin Peaks will be split over two years? I missed that if so.
Solveig

Post by Solveig »

Hi!

I've been following this thread for a while, but this is my first post. It's been really fun reading all the theories posted here. I've read SHOTP twice now, and loved it. While I was reading it for the second time, I paused at the list of FBI agents that TP provides in one of her annotations. They're listed in the following order:

Gordon Cole
Phillip Jeffries
Chet Desmond
Sam Stanley
Windom Earle
Dale Cooper
Albert Rosenfield

Like so many others, I've wondered why Windom Earle is almost entirely left out of the story in the version presented in the book. Rereading this list got me thinking that maybe the order these names are listed in, is a clue that Earle was in Twin Peaks/made contact with Lodge spirits before Cooper arrived in TP/Deer Meadow? Could they be listed in order of appearance in Twin Peaks/contact made with Lodge spirits?

When reading the book for the first time, I feared that the "FBI man" referenced by Nixon and Milford was Earle, not Cole. Considering his knowledge of the Black Lodge and his involvement with Project Blue Book, I think it's possible that Earle was the agent they were talking about. I would think Frost at least wants us to consider it, because otherwise wouldn't he just write Gordon Cole instead of "FBI man"? Instead he has TP, who we know isn't the brightest agent on the active duty roster, imply that the "FBI man" is Cole.

We know that Cole and Jeffries visisted Twin Peaks and Ghostwood in 1983, because there's a letter signed by the two a few pages before this list appears. Desmond and Stanley of course investigated the Banks murder. And then Cooper went looking for Desmond. Rosenfield arrived to investigate the Laura Palmer case. But Earle is listed before Cooper - why is that?

I haven't read My Life, My Tapes, so there could perhaps be something in there that contradicts or sheds light on this theory. Anyone here who's read it?

As noted by others as well, the whole white rabbit speech by Milford is so reminiscent of Earle, and the fact that it's preceded by the line "You're not who I thought you were" just seems like a clue of some kind.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the show. I'm sure it will be very different from anything any of us could possibly imagine, but it's still fun to discuss all the little details.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

[quote]Solveig wrote:
We know that Cole and Jeffries visisted Twin Peaks and Ghostwood in 1983, because there's a letter signed by the two a few pages before this list appears. Desmond and Stanley of course investigated the Banks murder. And then Cooper went looking for Desmond. Rosenfield arrived to investigate the Laura Palmer case. But Earle is listed before Cooper - why is that?

I haven't read My Life, My Tapes, so there could perhaps be something in there that contradicts or sheds light on this theory. Anyone here who's read it? /quote]

I definitely believe that Frost left many questions regarding Windom Earle, and what that means I don't know. Interestingly he did state that he always wished he introduced and handled Earle in a much broader, threatening way in S2. Perhaps this book allows him the chance to play with ideas of Earle's lurking on the edge of knowledge this time, without being truly present.

As far as the list of FBI men go, I felt the order was logical. I agree, it does seem like each character's contact with the forces in Twin Peaks. For me, Cole's placement raises more questions. I guess we'll have to see if he knows more than we think he does.

In regards to My Life, My Tapes, Earle is introduced early in Cooper's career, and remains fairly present for much of it. Perhaps that's why he appears on the list where he does. In MLMT, Earle seems kind of like a superior figure to Cooper, he looks up to him for the short time he seems sane! However, unlike TSHOTP, MLMT is quite strictly a 'tie-in' in the most traditional sense; it's a pretty fun book with no real revelations, but not as downtrodden or embarrassingly mystery-shattering as The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, (I always liked the fact we never knew much about the contents of Laura's diary. To delve into it so forcefully, not to mention it's pretty glaring flaws, is a little awkward I feel. Anyway, I digress) but it's since been kind-of retconned by Fire Walk with Me. TSHOTP is clearly aimed at preparation and back-story in equal measure, you just have to look hard for it I guess, one's kind of buried in the other I suppose.
Boy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Boy »

Gabriel wrote:Actually, with regard to the contradictions, it reminds me a bit of the latest X-Files season. The new season's basic premise overturned several aspects of the original show and barefacedly ignored or reinterpreted things stated as fact in the regular show.

The new X-Files was controversial with some fans and slightly slips into Mark Frost's 'A Very Merry X-Files Christmas Show' territory, although I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of it. I actually hope that, between 'new' seasons, the X-Files team watches the new Twin Peaks, since The X-Files owes A LOT to a Twin Peaks.
X-files is my second favourite show after Twin Peaks. But I believe that season 3 will make X-files revival look like a joke...
If only had Vince Gilligan had enough time to write even one episode...
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

Hi,

Baaah, I re-post my ideas on the new show, I deleted my previous message by mistake.

About the questions raised by the book, I agree that we are more in an alternate/deformed reality than in a simple time manipulation. I don't see how you can change Norma's mother, without deleting Norma herself. Except if Vivian died before Annie's birth, and Ilsa is Norma's foster mum.

Otherwise, I have my theory about the modifications of the story that we know. After reading the book, and when I look at the new cast.

Perhaps the new reality is based on the story Frost & Lynch wanted initially ? Without the changes imposed by ABC at the time ? And without actors defections ?

See:

- The characters of Annie and John Justice were created because, it seems, Audrey was too young to date Dale Cooper (and perhaps because of LFB).
So Annie and John don't exist anymore. And Lana is Miss Twin Peaks 1989.

- Robert Foster takes the role of sheriff Truman, as originally written.

- It seems that the role of Donna was proposed to Laura Dern 25 years ago.
Now, Laura Dern is Donna Hayward.

- Monica Bellucci takes a role near the one that was planned for Isabella Rosselini.

- Windom Earle never went to Twin Peaks, at least in the period of the second season. It seems that this story line isn't mentionned in the book, and Major Briggs second abduction neither.

- Perhaps the number of inhabitants of Twin Peaks will be reduced to 5000 ? Like Frost and Lynch wanted ? And which is more realistic when we know the town.

For Ben Horn's double cross about his "good" change, I remember Catherine foresaw it, no ? At the ferret party, there is a dialogue between the two characters. She didnt believe in his sincerity. I don't think there is a change of reality whith Audrey's note in the book. Just another view.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Mordeen wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:

-Mordeen
Surprised, you will be. Trust me.

-Mordeen
Ok. Thanks!!
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Trudy Chelgren wrote:
Solveig wrote:

I haven't read My Life, My Tapes, so there could perhaps be something in there that contradicts or sheds light on this theory. Anyone here who's read it? /quote]

I definitely believe that Frost left many questions regarding Windom Earle, and what that means I don't know. Interestingly he did state that he always wished he introduced and handled Earle in a much broader, threatening way in S2. Perhaps this book allows him the chance to play with ideas of Earle's lurking on the edge of knowledge this time, without being truly present.

As far as the list of FBI men go, I felt the order was logical. I agree, it does seem like each character's contact with the forces in Twin Peaks. For me, Cole's placement raises more questions. I guess we'll have to see if he knows more than we think he does.

In regards to My Life, My Tapes, Earle is introduced early in Cooper's career, and remains fairly present for much of it. Perhaps that's why he appears on the list where he does. In MLMT, Earle seems kind of like a superior figure to Cooper, he looks up to him for the short time he seems sane! However, unlike TSHOTP, MLMT is quite strictly a 'tie-in' in the most traditional sense; it's a pretty fun book with no real revelations, but not as downtrodden or embarrassingly mystery-shattering as The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, (I always liked the fact we never knew much about the contents of Laura's diary. To delve into it so forcefully, not to mention it's pretty glaring flaws, is a little awkward I feel. Anyway, I digress) but it's since been kind-of retconned by Fire Walk with Me. TSHOTP is clearly aimed at preparation and back-story in equal measure, you just have to look hard for it I guess, one's kind of buried in the other I suppose.
I Would like that possibility!! Gordon knowing more he say. 8)
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

*** Wacky theory corner ***

The black lodge exists on the border of our dimension, outside all known rules of time and space. Humans have been interacting with the Washington black lodge since pre-history.

The dugpa, or "lodge spirits" have conspired to draw Cooper into the lodge as part of their sinister plan, but in so doing grant Cooper the powers to traverse the laws of time offering up a 'power so vast the wielder could re-order the earth itself to his liking'.

Being a noble soul, Cooper attempts to use his powers to alter tragic events in the past, including saving Laura Palmer, Leland, Caroline and Annie. The events we watch in the red room sequence are merely a fraction of Coopers 25 year experience in the black lodge. Meanwhile since finding the lodge, Earle has actually spent Aeons perfecting his dark game. To Coopers horror, he finds that even as he attempts to alter the events of the past, Windom Earle and Bob, and in fact all the lodge spirits, have trapped Cooper in a loop, so he cannot save those he cares about without damning others. Windom's game of deadly chess is actually played out across dimensions, and the deaths alter with coops actions, as is Bob and mikes 'golden circle' of perfect murder, so each time Bob kill different girls Shelley, Teresa, Audrey, Josie. Trapped in a net of inescapable trauma, Cooper finally breaks down and trades his soul submitting himself to the will of the dugpa. He becomes evil Coop.

As it happens the Dugpa spirit are part of a collective void of spirit realm 'so foreign to humans it is like Protozoa staring at the pond'. Mike, Bob, the tremonds and the jumping man act with timeless motivations outside of good and evil. Cooper is in fact just another pawn in Windom and Bobs chess game, and in fact the actual plan is to
Infiltrate the FBI, hence the dissapearances of Phillip Jeffries, Chet Desmond and others.

Finally, though Cooper realised he cannot win the sick game of mortality, he can still save his own soul, and Laura Palmers, so after guiding Laura's restless spirit to the light, Cooper finally gives up his powers to alter time, and the good Dale leaves the lodge in 2015. He returns to be good old Coop again, passing on his simple message of compassion and dedication, and the transcendence of the soul. However Coop and Twin Peaks are in for a shock, because they find that the lodge spirits have made another move, sending the evil doppelgänger, shadow self, dweller on the threshold Coop. Evil. Evil Coop has been on a murder spree for the last 25 years, and Dale is implicated as a murderer, but with the help of AGENT TP, and Gordon Cole, they may yet have evidence to prove the murders were actually the work of Earle, bob and other spirits.

Stay tuned

EDIT:
This theory is probably wrong. However, there is proof that some kind of time line alteration is occurring, not so much in TSHOTP inconsistencies (which do however corroborate the idea) but definitely the theory is proved by FWWM where Laura Palmer dreams of Annie saying 'the good Dale is trapped in the lodge, write it in your diary.'

This proves that the premonitions characters have via the red room are not merely premonitions, they are actually messages from spirits attempting to alter the past.

This brings me to a really interesting idea. The epistolary element to Twin Peaks has always been strong and only strengthened by TSHOTP. Think about it. Our first introduction to the series is through Coopers conversations with Diane, tapes which are logged and later documented by TP, as passed to her by Gordon Cole. A great deal of the mystery of the show revolves around Laura Palmers secret diary which is even more interesting when you realise that this can change via the black lodge. Harold, who keeps the diary talks about 'the 'living novel' and he owns books which contain the stories of multiple residents of the town, so if time is being altered it makes sense that dark energies would resonate around Harold, and he would attract lodge spirits like 'The tremonds/Chalfonts', who would have a vested interest in controlling the flow of information from Lauras diary.

Finally the dossier, containing multiple documents represents the FBIs knowledge of alterations. Does Cooper dissapear in this timeline? Does Chet Desmond? Does Annie Blackburn exist. Finally the lodge spirits have gained control over the flow of information to the agents at the top of the chain.

What if bobs signature 'Robert' letters are Bobs ultimate aim, if he can finally sign his name, he wins the chess game across time. Maybe Denver bob entered the lodge centuries ago and band came an ascended evil master with power over time.
Bobs changes are most resonant in recorded history, diaries, documents, tapes. This is why characters are experience premonitions around them. These are key to defeating Bob and the evil spirits of the lodge.
Mace

Post by Mace »

To bad this guy passed away. He would have been a great Denver Bob.
IMG_5959.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG (39.17 KiB) Viewed 9570 times
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Mace wrote:To bad this guy passed away. He would have been a great Denver Bob.
IMG_5959.JPG

Lol
Ah true.
That would have been something