Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by N. Needleman »

FrightNight wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:What is its aim?
To explore the larger mythology and 'secret history' of Twin Peaks. And also turn this thread into an angry subreddit.
Also: to whimsically and arbitrarily alter the details of the narrative on which we've been swearing for 25 years, apparently just because its author felt like it. And just to add some real spice, the said author was supposed to be the cerebral part of the creative duo.
He betrayed you, FrightNight!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

N. Needleman wrote:
FrightNight wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
To explore the larger mythology and 'secret history' of Twin Peaks. And also turn this thread into an angry subreddit.
Also: to whimsically and arbitrarily alter the details of the narrative on which we've been swearing for 25 years, apparently just because its author felt like it. And just to add some real spice, the said author was supposed to be the cerebral part of the creative duo.
He betrayed you, FrightNight!
That's right, make it about me. Not about the show that's returning after 25 years with all the fanfare of the second coming (and up until now-ish, I reveled in it!), not about its tie-in material that was all but promoted as the new canon, not about the guy(s) who had 25 years to figure this stuff out and do right by his/their previous work. Feels better, doesn't it?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Maybe it's worse and he thinks he has.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Having finished reading the dossier, I think there's still room for a legitimate reason for the continuity errors. The reason might seem lame, but it's possible the documents in question were altered or replaced with forgeries to throw someone off track.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

N. Needleman wrote:Maybe it's worse and he thinks he has.
Yeah, whatever. Wouldn't feel like the TP we love and cherish without the continuity gaffes, eh, Needleman? There's that, at least.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

FrightNight wrote:Wouldn't feel like the TP we love and cherish without the continuity gaffes, eh, Needleman?
Possibly, tbh
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Mordeen wrote:Having finished reading the dossier, I think there's still room for a legitimate reason for the continuity errors. The reason might seem lame, but it's possible the documents in question were altered or replaced with forgeries to throw someone off track.

-Mordeen
that's what was asking with the sources of info briggs used on fbi guys

but yeah, seems mlmt may potentially stop being canon date-wise which is not a problem per se and may even give some additional flexibility to jeffries stories etc. ( and themes wise will hopefully be re-erected in the new season) - cooper afair was with countrrintellugence 1980-1987 which was both non-elaborated upon and forgettable canon wise.

edtd just also thought that in this case (caroline events retconned to say 1984) Cooper maybe would be coming to twin peaks of age 30 which km was at the time of filming instead of 35 as presently per mlmt, in case the whole events of the book would move by 5 yesrs say, interesting to ponder. does the new book say anything about his age?

well, no loss, no gain - judging by the previews on the web a creamed corn planet (and much more indeed) may make an appearance at the end of the day :shock:
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mordeen wrote:Having finished reading the dossier, I think there's still room for a legitimate reason for the continuity errors. The reason might seem lame, but it's possible the documents in question were altered or replaced with forgeries to throw someone off track.

-Mordeen
To what end though? That really doesn't make much sense, as in most of these cases we end up at the same place anyway. For instance, why would someone falsify documents that say Cooper and Truman knew about Andrew before he died? Its not like they are going to go back to that in S3. And there is nothing in the book that would suggest that. So if its not for the book itself, or for S3...

I understand we want there to be a reason, but I just think it is what it seems.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Aqua wrote:And Briggs gets information on the fbi events where?
It's not specifically stated, but I would assume from the network that Dougie built up(even Tricky Dick was an informant of his at one time, at least such seems to be the case and is posited by Agent Preston). It would also appear the Nixon hooked up Cole and Dougie. Briggs is Dougies protege and picks up and fills in the dossier, but most of it is actually put together by Dougie.

This is enforced because Carl Rodd sends a letter to the editor about the Unguin Field/Listening Post Alpha additions and construction and Dwayne promises to look in to it. Dougie volunteers his service and shortly after Gordon Cole contacts Dwayne.

The rest of the FBI info mentioned is this thread is filled in by Agent Preston's notations.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I'm really enjoying it, if this is an indication on where we're going for the new season.

I feel your pain on this screwing up the show for some of you.... This happened to me too once in season two. But still this is really well done in terms of how they are shaping it. I don't subscribe to canon anyway and just take what I like and enjoy it.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

To me there is a world of difference between the inconsistencies from the old Twin Peaks books and the inconsistencies in this new book. Expecting Lynch to remain 100% faithful to spin-off material when making a Twin Peaks movie, especially when circumstances forced them to revise their initial screenplay, isn't reasonable. The movie was more important than the Jennifer Lynch book, which was not written with any thought of providing a foundation for a future film. It would have hemmed in Lynch's imagination too much to follow that book exactly.

But for Mark Frost to ignore established history from the series in this book, when it purports to be a history of Twin Peaks, just doesn't make any sense. It's not being written on the fly while the show is also being created, it's based on episodes that have existed for 25 years. Even though it's fiction, I don't see the point of doing a fake-historical book like this if it's not going to be "accurate." In this kind of work, dates and timelines and consistency with the show aren't just trivial details -- they should have been essential, not optional. And it's only a supplement to the series, so I don't really see how there can be a greater artistic imperative to ignore the continuity.
Last edited by squealy on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

IIRC, Harold reads directly from the actual, published-IRL secret diary in the show. That took me aback when I rewatched again last year; I'd never noticed. I think Donna's story to him is also from the diary.

I consider the published diary written by Jennifer Lynch to be canon; I have no reason to believe it's not. That said it does have some mistakes or errors on the timeline and/or background established in both the show and FWWM. Nothing too glaring, but they're there. Does that mean I disqualify it as a piece of canon? No, but it's still subordinate to FWWM and the series. That doesn't make it any less incredible and essential a piece of the tapestry. The Secret History's issues, while some are significantly larger than that of Laura's diary or MLMT, follow the same principle to me.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Ross wrote:

-Mordeen
To what end though? That really doesn't make much sense, as in most of these cases we end up at the same place anyway. For instance, why would someone falsify documents that say Cooper and Truman knew about Andrew before he died? Its not like they are going to go back to that in S3. And there is nothing in the book that would suggest that. So if its not for the book itself, or for S3...

I understand we want there to be a reason, but I just think it is what it seems.
This is the part that bothers me most. Most of this stuff probably won't show up, or have any sort of real impact that required the changes. But they're there. Which is frustrating because, if there isn't a story reason for it, it's just Frost deciding he didn't like some things and rectifying them in this book. Or making very large mistakes.

But why do it? If this is a book for the fans and to expand the mythology, that Frost has said isn't necessary reading before viewing Season 3, why retcon things in here. If it was intentional, it just creates a split between the viewing only and the viewing and reading audience.

Personally for me, the show is always the number one source of canon. But that's another reason this frustrates me. The show has been in place for 25 years. Making this unlike MLMT and TSDoLP which were written between the first and second season before FWwM was made. So it makes sense for those to have inconsistencies due to real world production issues. But this was written after the fact and still got things wrong.

Again, I'll be thrilled if there is some sort of reason in the show. I'll settle for mistakes. But intentionally changing things because of personal preference of the way the story/show should have gone will annoy me forever.

Which is my own damn fault for caring about the consistency. But small things that can be easily explained away are fine by me, as are mixed up dates. But rewriting things we specifically saw occur is what irks me.

And I do plan on writing a post about all the interesting things and things I loved, but this is the discussion taking place right now and I think it's an important one to have. Those of us that are annoyed are no better or worse fans than those of you that aren't. We just have different cares when it comes to fictional worlds we love and want to be able to get completely lost in.

In the end, I'm just a little bummed to see this appear to be relegated to the semi-canonical realm of MLMT and TSDoLP when it really didn't have to.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

bowisneski wrote:
And I do plan on writing a post about all the interesting things and things I loved, but this is the discussion taking place right now and I think it's an important one to have. Those of us that are annoyed are no better or worse fans than those of you that aren't. We just have different cares when it comes to fictional worlds we love and want to be able to get completely lost in.

In the end, I'm just a little bummed to see this appear to be relegated to the semi-canonical realm of MLMT and TSDoLP when it really didn't have to.
THIS. Last sentence especially (and what I've underlined most especially!).
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

I mean, if the book says that Harry Truman has a brother named Frank, because they need to set up another Sheriff Truman character for the new show, and there had been one line in one episode of the series where Harry happened to mention that he was an only child.... that kind of thing doesn't really bother me. TV shows often have those kinds of little continuity issues because the writers don't want to be beholden to some throwaway line of dialogue from three seasons ago when they are trying to come up with new ideas. But I don't feel that Frost can write Norma a whole new backstory when her mother was a character in three or four episodes (even though I couldn't care less about the M.T. Wentz plotline). Maybe it pays off in some way in the new show but...