'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Rudagger »

I think I'm going to hold off on reading them, just so I can read it all in one batch as opposed to having to wait another twenty days to read the rest. Wonder if/when we'll get a sample of the audio book though; usually audible has like a three minute sampler.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

I highly recommend reading it. It tells just enough without giving anything away and made me even more excited to read it. Also was wondering I ordered the signed edition from Powells and realized on page the event is October 27. Does this mean the signed copies won't be sent out till after then or do they already have the signed ones ready to go cause I'm not gonna be able to wait another month! Couldn't pass on marks signature though cause I'll never get to meet him. Will I get it on release date I wonder?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mark has said they won't be signed until he hits Portland.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

TP press release.jpg
TP press release.jpg (169.47 KiB) Viewed 10750 times
Confirmation that the "Volume 1" business was from an actual press release. Note the October 20 release date as well.
source
From the co-creator of the landmark television series Twin Peaks comes a novel that deepens the mysteries of that iconic town in ways that not only enrich the original series but readies fans for the upcoming Showtime episodes.

In the show’s final episode Laura Palmer cryptically promised Agent Cooper that they’d be seeing each other again in 25 years, and the prophecy has come true. Mark Frost and David Lynch are teaming up again to bring us the continuing story of Twin Peaks on Showtime, set to air in 2017.

The Secret History of Twin Peaks: Volume 1 enlarges the world of the original series, placing the unexplained phenomena that unfolded there into a vastly layered, wide-ranging history, beginning with the journals of Lewis and Clark and ending with the shocking events that closed the finale.

Using journals, court records, coroner reports, newspaper clippings, letters, tape transcripts and other “classified” materials from a mysterious dossier connected to an unspecified criminal investigation, Frost meticulously weaves together real historical events with the imagined world of the show. Not only do the characters we have come to know and love come back to rich and fuller life, but we are left with a deeper sense of the powerful forces that dwell in this strange corner of the world, preparing us for what they, and we, will all be facing in the series to come.

The Secret History of Twin Peaks: Volume 1 is the story millions of fans have been waiting to read for 25 long years. So grab a slice of cherry pie and a cup of some damn good coffee, because the wait is finally over.
Last edited by ^◊^ on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

For some reason I was getting errors trying to quote the post above me;

Body of text seems to affirm that the book ends at the cliffhanger, which makes sense if a Vol. 2 is coming, but is a bit of a bummer nonetheless (I was hoping to find out this coming month what Twin Peaks has been up to for the past 25 years .. guess I'll have to wait longer).

Do hope they just come out and directly confirm it soon via Frost on Twitter and a proper public press release, just to make it public record y'know?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Ordered Mine.Very excited!!!!!But it will reach my place in November :(
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

The good news is that we will have several volumes of Twin Peaks !!! we will have much more material than previously thought.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I keep cancelled/uncancelling my pre-order on the Audio CD. Really can't decide if it's worth it, or if it makes more sense just getting a cheaper digital audio book version.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Rudagger wrote:I keep cancelled/uncancelling my pre-order on the Audio CD. Really can't decide if it's worth it, or if it makes more sense just getting a cheaper digital audio book version.
I've cancelled my CD order as I read it was to be available on Audible (which I subscribe to). However, I'm now concerned that it's the US only version of Audible as it isn't showing up on my app in the UK. I messaged them on Twitter but they said they didn't have a release date. The audio version is a must have for me. I work outside a lot on my own so the book will keep me great company.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

That's annoying, macmillan explicitly told me it would be available here. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and this was their exact reply:
Yes, The Secret History of Twin Peaks will be available from Audible in the UK. It's publishing on the 20th October so will be available for pre-order soon.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Dalai Cooper wrote:That's annoying, macmillan explicitly told me it would be available here. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and this was their exact reply:
Yes, The Secret History of Twin Peaks will be available from Audible in the UK. It's publishing on the 20th October so will be available for pre-order soon.
I've tweeted MacMillan and asked the question again. No response yet. I'll let you know if I get anything back.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
blazingmagnums

Post by blazingmagnums »

The Mark Frost event in Manchester has sold out. If anyone knows of any spares please let me know :!: :!:
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

MacMillan replied to my tweet. It'll be up for pre-order in the next week or so on Audible UK.

Aces.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Oh cool, thanks! That's good to hear.

I read the iBook preview but tapped out of the spoiler thread when it became apparent that people were going to be revealing google books material, as reading a bunch of random pages out of order seems like a pretty terrible way to experience a novel whose author has obviously put a lot of thought into its presentation, unless you really are just viewing it as a delivery system for cliffhanger resolution and s3 exposition (I know some here are after just that, but I've always been more interested in the thing being worthwhile in itself). But it kinda looks like the publisher didn't intend either preview to be available - so did flatiron just completely drop the ball here or what? Given the admirably tight lid l/f have managed to keep on series info (long may it continue!) they can't be too pleased to have half the novel leak early...
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Oh cool, thanks! That's good to hear.

I read the iBook preview but tapped out of the spoiler thread when it became apparent that people were going to be revealing google books material, as reading a bunch of random pages out of order seems like a pretty terrible way to experience a novel whose author has obviously put a lot of thought into its presentation, unless you really are just viewing it as a delivery system for cliffhanger resolution and s3 exposition (I know some here are after just that, but I've always been more interested in the thing being worthwhile in itself). But it kinda looks like the publisher didn't intend either preview to be available - so did flatiron just completely drop the ball here or what? Given the admirably tight lid l/f have managed to keep on series info (long may it continue!) they can't be too pleased to have half the novel leak early...
The one was an iTunes store accidental release right? Seems all too common; iTunes is pretty notoriously leaky. I'll never understand why publishers of any kind give them movies/music/books so far in advance, they just have such a bad track record of leaking. I'm not sure if Flatiron dropped the ball, though I'm scratching my head as to why the preview was so massive (I mean, you'd think you'd only put upload for preview what you would be comfortable having leaked).

---

As a tangent; Bon Iver, a really great band, in August did a big long countdown. They haven't had an album out in five years, so, everyone's chomping at the bit to get it. Countdown comes ends .. they announce a release date for their album. Everyone's bummed because they want the album right away, and also because everyone knows it'll leak anyway. Lo and behold, a couple weeks later, long before the official release date, iTunes (or Spotify) accidentally sold the album early, and it got instantly ripped and uploaded. Publishers really have to stop with the months long build up; it doesn't work in music where it's so easily leak-able. At least film and video games have a few factors that make it more difficult for something to leak pre-release.