Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

billloomis wrote:was it just me, or was there no RR TO GO painted on the side of the RR? Error or alternate reality? my brain hurts man.
Maybe that aspect of the RR was part of the franchise business. Norma's back on her own, and running a simpler business right now.

And she's, uhhh, extremely efficient at changing the signage.

And... wait... what year is it? :)
fluorescent light

Post by fluorescent light »

sirpsychoswayze wrote:I feel like that final episode was almost a meta-commentary on the entirety of The Return. I think the whole idea is that some things are meant to stay dead, trapped in amber, and that bringing them back can change them irrevocably. By bringing Laura back, they destroyed the reality of Twin Peaks - by bringing the show back, we may have destroyed Twin Peaks. Dale, Laura and the audience are all trapped in a purgatory together at the end of the series. It's one of the most nightmarish things I can imagine.
Definitely was thinking something like this during the last half hour - that Cooper keeps trying to rescue Laura despite the fact that everything has already changed

It didn't help me stomach the ludicrously awful Diane sex scene though
kylie

Post by kylie »

So that happened! I'm pretty much at as much a loss as all of you, but here's my take.

The main thing I noticed was that when Coop left the motel he went to a completely different car than the one he arrived in with Diane. The car he arrived in was from the '60s or something, and it was parked in front of the room. When he left that car was gone -- did Diane take it? And if so ... where did the standard FBI-issue Lincoln Town Car parked *across from the room* come from?

This -- along with the letter to Richard from Linda -- tells me that at some point after driving into the other dimension in the desert (maybe after having sex?), the "reality" changed. Different car, Diane is now Linda, Coop is now Richard (but seems not to know it), and Laura is now Carrie.

Then there's also the scene where a duplicate Diane hanging out outside the motel office while first Diane was still in the car. Perhaps a nod to an alternate reality?

Reading this back to myself I realize I have no fucking clue. But I'm sharing this anyway, because why the hell not.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

TwinsPeak wrote:I think Cooper saved Laura from getting murdered. There was no body wrapped in plastic.....I also think they might have gone further back in time, not sure about that...or why Laura got sucked back into the woods twice?
I thought that Laura disappearing from Cooper's hand was just picking up where the previous part had left off, but I suppose it could be hinting at different timelines existing simultaneously.

We're certainly dealing with different timelines, or perhaps one reality that's been altered. Cooper certainly had a plan, and his words about hoping to again see everyone in the Twin Peaks sheriff's station hold a lot of meaning when we understand that he was either screwing with the one timeline, hopping onto another timeline, or maybe even mixing and matching timelines. Either way, he wasn't sure that all of those people at the sheriff's station would be there next time, because he was altering reality, skipping dimensions or otherwise jumping around spacetime, like Jeffries in FWWM & TMP ("1989?").
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Season 2: "How's Annie?"

Season 3: "What year is it?"
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

fluorescent light wrote:
why ludicrously awful? It actually reminded me of Lost Highway quite a bit.
fluorescent light

Post by fluorescent light »

Personally I hope this is the end of Twin Peaks (aside from final dossier), but y'all are like Charlie Brown trying to kick Lucy's football if you think Lynch is ever going to provide resolution
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Was the motel they went into not one floor??? When Cooper left it was two... could be mistaken...
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

richsmith wrote:Honestly, the only unresolved thing that's driving me utterly crazy was who exactly was behind the door at the Palmer house giving "Mrs. Chalfont" the answers to Cooper's questions.
The Grandson, now grown up?

Anyone expecting that the second answer was going to be also Chalfont? "Two chalfonts. Weird, huh?"
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

kylie wrote:So that happened! I'm pretty much at as much a loss as all of you, but here's my take.

The main thing I noticed was that when Coop left the motel he went to a completely different car than the one he arrived in with Diane. The car he arrived in was from the '60s or something, and it was parked in front of the room. When he left that car was gone -- did Diane take it? And if so ... where did the standard FBI-issue Lincoln Town Car parked *across from the room* come from?

This -- along with the letter to Richard from Linda -- tells me that at some point after driving into the other dimension in the desert (maybe after having sex?), the "reality" changed. Different car, Diane is now Linda, Coop is now Richard (but seems not to know it), and Laura is now Carrie.

Then there's also the scene where a duplicate Diane hanging out outside the motel office while first Diane was still in the car. Perhaps a nod to an alternate reality?

Reading this back to myself I realize I have no fucking clue. But I'm sharing this anyway, because why the hell not.
different hotel too - the first one had only a ground floor.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

rocketsan22 wrote:Was the motel they went into not one floor??? When Cooper left it was two... could be mistaken...
Different hotel, differrnt car, different names...
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

So... at what point will it be a non spoiler for folks to come forward who witnessed scenes being filmed that did not air in the Return? I myself did not witness any filming, but there were many, many descriptions (and even some photos) posted on Dugpa that have since been deleted.

There are a few scenes I was waiting for that never aired. It's possible Lynch decided not to use them, but given their nature (and cost), it seems unlikely. Now I wonder if they were saved for Season 4.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I'm old enough to appreciate the thing for what it is and not look for something that isn't there. Episode 18 reminded me of episode 29. I was almost drolling.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

fluorescent light wrote:
sirpsychoswayze wrote:I feel like that final episode was almost a meta-commentary on the entirety of The Return. I think the whole idea is that some things are meant to stay dead, trapped in amber, and that bringing them back can change them irrevocably. By bringing Laura back, they destroyed the reality of Twin Peaks - by bringing the show back, we may have destroyed Twin Peaks. Dale, Laura and the audience are all trapped in a purgatory together at the end of the series. It's one of the most nightmarish things I can imagine.
Definitely was thinking something like this during the last half hour - that Cooper keeps trying to rescue Laura despite the fact that everything has already changed

The thing about the sex scene is that it was intentionally made to make you feel uncomfortable, the music was a juxtipositon of MD/IE-esque drone intermittently mixed with '50's love ballads.

There was nothing normal about that sex scene.

Dale and Diane knew they were fucked if they crossed that 430 mile marker.

But that didn't need to mean the whole damned story was fucked.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

richsmith wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:Can we talk for a second about the Cooper/Diane relationship?

I did read "My Life, My Tapes," but I don't remember the apparent reference to something happening between the two of them at one point. Still, taking for granted that it's there, these episodes make it seem as if they'd been quietly carrying torches for each other all along, and I find that hard to reconcile with what we saw up until now. I mean, Cooper talks openly about his feelings for Annie (whom he doesn't even ask about here) in one of his recordings to Diane - why would he do that if he's secretly in love with her? The only way this makes sense to me is if the two of them actually interacted and had their relationship develop while trapped in the Lodges, but it seems like Diane was essentially imprisoned inside Naido ever since being tulpa-ized, so that doesn't seem likely either. And the hotel sex scene was just bizarre. Cooper's flat affect made me think we were actually seeing Mr. C again at one point.

Obviously there's plenty of unexplained weirdness in this episode, but most of it was plot-based rather than character-based. Cooper himself seemed out of character here.
In the book, there's a very cleverly written entry which -- without coming out and saying it -- infers that Dale and Diane have an intense sexual encounter. I totally missed it when I read the book as a 13-year-old and only understood it re-reading as an adult.

As for "Cooper himself seemed out of character here," um, yeaaaaah, I think that was pretty intentional.
OK, to what end, then? Is he just supposed to be disoriented?