Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

vicksvapor77 wrote:A complete diversion from the part 17-18 discussion from anyone that wants a break, and this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out. In giving a tiny bit of credence to a potential Nadine/Jacoby deleted scene, I find this curious. EW shot the actors in costume for their covers (the magazine credits the actual costume and makeup people from the show in the spread) and there's one outfit (outside of Audrey's heart ring) that wasn't worn at all as far as I can tell: Nadine's blouse. Nadine has a blouse on that doesn't match with anything we've seen her wear. I'll link to Ashok's uploads below for the comparisons.

I find it unlikely EW would just have a Nadine-esque blouse lying around they could put on Wendy for a shoot like this. Seems that would also cause some issues for "validity" of them being in costume, not to mention literally everyone else is in costume pieces from the new season. They threw Bobby's leather jacket over what he was wearing in part 13 at the diner so I felt maybe they just threw Nadine's coat from part 15 over a blouse she had on in a deleted scene. Check out the photos below and let me know what you guys think!

EW stills with the blouse on (underneath her coat from part 15). You can see it sticking out at the collar and the end of the sleeves.
http://pixhost.org/show/736/42016470_ew ... 443534.jpg
http://pixhost.org/show/736/42016324_000250652hr.jpg
Good spot. I wonder what she was wearing in that photo of them that circulated, sitting outside the RR. I a, pretty sure it was the RR.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

I'm the Muffin wrote:
Ross wrote:
Ross wrote:I wonder if more "closure" scenes were filmed for some of the other stories? And they were eventually cut to give LESS closure? I know a scene was filmed with Jacoby and Nadine in a restaurant (maybe a date)? And more scenes with Red & Shelly? So maybe more with Becky/Steven as well?

I could also swear there was a baby at the RR for a scene(?)
Time for people to pull out all the on-location pics and compile a list of deleted material!

We know there were additional scenes with Goodeve, Shelly/Red, Jacoby/Nadine...

And who did mtsi see on location? Or were they just pulling our leg?
Would be very interested in a thread for this! Didn't Everett McGill let slip in an interview that he filmed a scene with Steven? He said something about Big Ed being someone whom the young people of Twin Peaks feel they can confide in--and that he was shocked by the actions of Steven (presumably in the trailer scene with Becky) compared with how he was behaving in the scene they shared.

ETA: and Belushi mentioned something about a party scene--though I suppose he could have been referring to the scene in the limo?
Tim Roth also mentioned filming something with Bushnell in one of the comic con interviews.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:A complete diversion from the part 17-18 discussion from anyone that wants a break, and this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out. In giving a tiny bit of credence to a potential Nadine/Jacoby deleted scene, I find this curious. EW shot the actors in costume for their covers (the magazine credits the actual costume and makeup people from the show in the spread) and there's one outfit (outside of Audrey's heart ring) that wasn't worn at all as far as I can tell: Nadine's blouse. Nadine has a blouse on that doesn't match with anything we've seen her wear. I'll link to Ashok's uploads below for the comparisons.

I find it unlikely EW would just have a Nadine-esque blouse lying around they could put on Wendy for a shoot like this. Seems that would also cause some issues for "validity" of them being in costume, not to mention literally everyone else is in costume pieces from the new season. They threw Bobby's leather jacket over what he was wearing in part 13 at the diner so I felt maybe they just threw Nadine's coat from part 15 over a blouse she had on in a deleted scene. Check out the photos below and let me know what you guys think!

EW stills with the blouse on (underneath her coat from part 15). You can see it sticking out at the collar and the end of the sleeves.
http://pixhost.org/show/736/42016470_ew ... 443534.jpg
http://pixhost.org/show/736/42016324_000250652hr.jpg
Good spot. I wonder what she was wearing in that photo of them that circulated, sitting outside the RR. I a, pretty sure it was the RR.
I have the set photo, unfortunately it's the costume for part 13. I guess it's possible they shot another variation/scene of Nadine watching Jacoby they didn't use for some reason?
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Quick question that has probably been discussed. What was the music over the final credits? Was it just some Badalamenti incidental music recorded for this show, or something else?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Well I'm not sure what you mean by "incidental music" but I believe it is a new Badalamenti piece. WTTP tweeted the final list and the only one I didn't know was "Dark Low Place", so that's probably it.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Have the parallels between Audrey and Carrie Paige been mentioned?

- Carrie asks if you 'found him.' Carrie is looking for someone like Audrey was looking for Billy
- Audrey choking Charlie and then the dead guy in Carrie's apartment
- Carrie wants to grab her coat before she leaves. Audrey kept saying this to Charlie.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

One thing I truly don't understand of the "Coop never saves Laura" theory.
In FWWM she goes in heaven with angels. And we see her with angels in S3 during Andy's vision. So she is somehow happy and saved.
How does it reconcile with Cooper's perpetual doom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

as time in the Lodge isn't linear, this could well be eventual outcome of it all, the end of FWWM? Even for what comes after S3.

As for his doom, I don't think that's a given. Laura may be awake, and he's still treading the Fireman's path. The Fireman's clues sent him there, and Coop was very certain when he told him that he understands his mission. He's just flummoxed right now (and probably in some very immediate danger).

Perhaps the car lights following them were Agent Desmond's? Chris Isaak may be about to swoop in and save the day!
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

someone on Reddit has the 'listen to the sounds'/Laura disappearing click down pretty convincingly as the sound of her diary being opened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... eard_over/
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Pinky wrote:as time in the Lodge isn't linear, this could well be eventual outcome of it all, the end of FWWM? Even for what comes after S3.

As for his doom, I don't think that's a given. Laura may be awake, and he's still treading the Firmean's Path. The Fireman's clues sent him there, and Coop was very certain when he told him that he understands his mission. He's just flummoxed right now (and probably in some very immediate danger).

Perhaps the car lights following them were Agent Desmond's? Chris Isaak may be about to swoop in and save the day!
Very interesting.
I've read a post somewhere (reddit?) about Dale's pins. In the first new scene of TP:TR Cooper talks to the Fireman. Cooper is not wearing his FBI pin. However, he has his pin on during the lodge scenes, and in the new "timeline". Only the Dougie'd Cooper doesn't wear a pin... is the first scene in the future? Is the Cooper in the first scene actually Dougie?
Also notice. In FWWM Cooper doesn't wear his FBI pin. Gordon does, Albert does, but not Cooper. Not in the real world, and not in the lodge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

dud wrote:new observation: anyone else think that sarah/whatever is possessing her smashing laura's picture might have actually caused laura to disappear from dale's grip / scream in the woods? the way the sequence of events is presented to us is 1. dale intervenes and pulls her out of her original timeline 2. sarah screams, runs into her living room, smashes picture 3. laura screams/disappears.
I actually disagree with this interpretation quite strongly, although a lot seem to agree, and I see why. For me Laura disappearing from Dale's grip is down to one of two causes: either she lets go, because she does not want to be saved like this, or that Dale is simply unable to keep her hold of her (so that she may not have let go as such, but saving her this way was not right and thus couldn't continue).

For me the Sarah Palmer scene was Sarah (not 'mother') wishing she could erase Laura from her life. I'm sure she loved her daughter, but Laura coming into the world and into Sarah's house ruined her life - Sarah has suffered ever since, from knowing about the abuse to the death of her daughter and husband, to whatever is going on in her life now. She was trying to smash the reminder of Laura, but she couldn't be broken. Her existence, and what happened to her, cannot be removed, no matter how much Sarah or Dale try.

For Sarah/ 'the mother' to cosmically change her fate would be to again frame Laura's story as a pawn in games of cosmic spirits and demons, and not the deeply human story it actually is.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

BHell wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:No sure if this has been mentioned yet (still only got to page 20 because a heavy work schedule), but in part 17 the FWWM Laura screams at what is revealed to have been Cooper. But that can only have happened in a timeline where he saves her. What would she have been screaming at otherwise, given that we don't see anything else around Cooper?
Well, I'm not a fan of these "timeline"-theories. Classic time travel, creating different timelines that erase each other (Back to the Future style) or branch off into completely separate actualities is just something I do not consider very "lynchean".

Instead, we have been shown multiple occurances of different realities throughout the season - flickering in and out - most notably Big Ed's mirror image being out of synch. One might even include some of the famous "continuity errors" we experienced. All of that might have been multiple "timelines" actualizing simultaneously - which is precisely why I'm inclined not to speak of "timelines": They are simply not separate.

When Cooper goes back in time (or is it really "going back"? We know he enters the FWWM-Scene coming from the Logdes, where time does not run in an intuitive manner.) he does save Laura (at least until she disappears):
Laura does not meet up with Leo and Renault. Yet, from FWWM, we know that she does.
Laura is not killed by her father (Bob). Yet, we see her getting killed.
Pete goes fishing, and yet he does not.

In the same sense, Dale Cooper is in the forest, watching Laura and James, and "at the same time" he is not. Just like we witnessed Big Ed taking a sip of Coffee, when "actually" he didn't, Laura probably witnesses Dale being there, when he is not (but in some way ... he is).
I hadn't been a fan of the alternative timelines until this point but, after part 17, reflecting on the two times Laura disappears from 'existence', I find it easier to think of there being at least one version of events where Laura dies and then sees Cooper 25 years later, and also one when he intercepts her on the way to Leo and Renault. The jump to a shot of the body, wrapped in plastic, flickering out of existence, seems to suggest that it is over-written rather than being two co-existing time-lines (the 'continuity errors' I've been interpreting more as the weird dream nature of the Lodge on the town, as a symptom of Lynch liking to use surreal dream logic). That said, yes, I agree that time as we understand it doesn't really exist in the Lodges, nor does the proximity of the Lodges mean that the normal rules apply - she saw Annie after all, so why might she not see some weird backwards echo of Cooper.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Jarrett

Post by Jarrett »

A friend noticed that Cooper is the one who triggered Laura to scream. Go watch the end again, it' s unquestionable. You see Laura's reaction when Cooper asks, "What year is this?" Cooper wakes Laura up to the time shift she is living in.
Last edited by Jarrett on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Have the parallels between Audrey and Carrie Paige been mentioned?

- Carrie asks if you 'found him.' Carrie is looking for someone like Audrey was looking for Billy
- Audrey choking Charlie and then the dead guy in Carrie's apartment
- Carrie wants to grab her coat before she leaves. Audrey kept saying this to Charlie.
Yes, I did! Also, phones. Audrey is sick of waiting for hers to ring but Carrie's is ringing off the hook as they leave the house.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Hello wrote:In the window, someone claimed:

Evan M Haney says:
September 4, 2017 at 10:16 pm
I totally missed it at first, as did every critic who has written about the finale so far. A friend sent me enhanced images of the Palmer House from the final scene of the finale. There are three windows above the door. In the window to the viewers’ right, you can see the alien that appeared in the glass box experiment way back in episode one. If you just watch the scene without enhancing it, you can barely see some kind of shape in the darkness of that window. If you make a high def image of just that way and juke the contrast and brightness, you’ll see its face. Judy or joo-day, perhaps?

Use the shot at 55:30 – 55:35. It’s right before you hear Sarah shout Laura’s name. Creepy as hell. I’m not going to bed til my dog comes inside.
I've been messing with it, and there's definitely something there, but it could just be like a light reflecting or something. I dunno, I'm not a graphic artist... I read somewhere else about a "figure" in one of the windows, but I can't find anyone who's posted a convincing edit of the photo.