Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hello

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by Hello »

Judy
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2017-09-05 om 21.41.17.png
Schermafbeelding 2017-09-05 om 21.41.17.png (816.99 KiB) Viewed 9347 times
Hello

Post by Hello »

In the window, someone claimed:

Evan M Haney says:
September 4, 2017 at 10:16 pm
I totally missed it at first, as did every critic who has written about the finale so far. A friend sent me enhanced images of the Palmer House from the final scene of the finale. There are three windows above the door. In the window to the viewers’ right, you can see the alien that appeared in the glass box experiment way back in episode one. If you just watch the scene without enhancing it, you can barely see some kind of shape in the darkness of that window. If you make a high def image of just that way and juke the contrast and brightness, you’ll see its face. Judy or joo-day, perhaps?

Use the shot at 55:30 – 55:35. It’s right before you hear Sarah shout Laura’s name. Creepy as hell. I’m not going to bed til my dog comes inside.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

My questions about Judy:
Judy is in fact the Experiment/Mother, correct? The figure Mr. C was searching for. And do we assume that Judy in now in Sarah?

Was the thing that escaped the glass box Judy/Experiment/Mother? And if so, do we then assume that it only possessed Sarah AFTER that?

Which we would then assume the the 1950s girl is NOT sarah?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So it seems Mr. C. was searching for Judy and for whatever reason, he believed the coordinates would lead him there. It seems in the end it was a trap though as the coordinates led to the White Lodge portal, which sent him to the Giant (& Briggs). They send him to the station to his doom.

But if Briggs already knew where the White Lodge portal was (he left it for Bobby and the gang in the chair), why then did he need the (same) coordinated from Ruth?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Hello

Post by Hello »

Lynch on the notion of time. [Courtesy of Aaron Stewart-Ahn, and the Nightshirt.]
Attachments
time.jpg
time.jpg (203.1 KiB) Viewed 9327 times
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I wonder if more "closure" scenes were filmed for some of the other stories? And they were eventually cut to give LESS closure? I know a scene was filmed with Jacoby and Nadine in a restaurant (maybe a date)? And more scenes with Red & Shelly? So maybe more with Becky/Steven as well?

I could also swear there was a baby at the RR for a scene(?)
Drgarage

Post by Drgarage »

BHell wrote:
Cipher wrote:I'm more inclined to think the Jumping Man is another visual shade of Judy, if those brief visual connections are to be given weight, than to remove all the other satisfying plot and thematic implications that Sarah is Judy.
There is definitely a connection between the Jumping Man and Judy (and by extension her host?). In that light, is it time for a reevaluation of that convenince store meeting in FWWM?

What do we know about the Jumping Man?
His most defining feature (visually) is undoubtedly his mask. Is he hiding behind it or is it a part of him? Usually, masquerade is insincerity - the sign of a lier, a trickster. Or simply an actor - a surrogate or delegate. (For Judy, maybe? Does he attend the meeting in her place?)
On the other hand, masks are used in different rites as a carthatic tool for their wearers. Wearing a mask and assuming another role allows one to live out one's deepest, most animalistic nature. (Mardi Gras, Carneval, Bacchides)

The "Grandson" copies him and visually enacts some kind of demasking (of the Jumping man?). In a manner that is, as has already been stated by many, not dissimilar to Sarah revealing her possession. The Grandson reveals a monkey. And that monkey calls out to Judy. So, what are we to make of this?

Then, in season 3, his mask blends into Sarah's face. And Sarah's face (or Sarah herself) becomes a mask for something else. There has to be some symbolism here.
This is really interesting to me. I now also think it's important not to separate the grandson from the grandmother. Are they and the Jumping Man all one entity? Are they close associates and followers of his, or is he a follower of theirs?

One interesting note: Chalfont as a name originates to an Olde English place name specifying the location of a well. And Tremond more or less literally means "Tree of Life." Are the Chalfonts Judy, i.e.: the source of all pain and suffering?
BHell
Roadhouse Member

Post by BHell »

Ross wrote:So it seems Mr. C. was searching for Judy and for whatever reason, he believed the coordinates would lead him there. It seems in the end it was a trap though as the coordinates led to the White Lodge portal, which sent him to the Giant (& Briggs). They send him to the station to his doom.

But if Briggs already knew where the White Lodge portal was (he left it for Bobby and the gang in the chair), why then did he need the (same) coordinated from Ruth?
I'm pretty sure Major Briggs himself didn't need any coordinates. But he might have needed Ruth to have them for setting up his trap.

Another thought - that is not to be taken too serious and presumably won't lead anywhere:
If these coordinates were a trap (and they obviously were), could that imply that the other set of coordinates did indeed lead to Judy? Maybe Richard Horne was not annihilated but merely transported. It would be ironic to see him ending up with Judy in Mr. C.'s place.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

BHell wrote:
Ross wrote:So it seems Mr. C. was searching for Judy and for whatever reason, he believed the coordinates would lead him there. It seems in the end it was a trap though as the coordinates led to the White Lodge portal, which sent him to the Giant (& Briggs). They send him to the station to his doom.

I'm pretty sure Major Briggs himself didn't need any coordinates. But he might have needed Ruth to have them for setting up his trap.
But couldn't Briggs just GIVE her the coordinates? Instead of telling Ruth he needed her to get them?
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Ross wrote:I wonder if more "closure" scenes were filmed for some of the other stories? And they were eventually cut to give LESS closure?
This occurred to me - - although I never was privy to any filming / production that leaked or was observed & reported by others at the time. Just how little screen time certain characters like Leland or Buella or Phoebe Augustine had. I pictured a number of scenes getting filmed, then chopped up..
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

BHell wrote:

Another thought - that is not to be taken too serious and presumably won't lead anywhere:
If these coordinates were a trap (and they obviously were), could that imply that the other set of coordinates did indeed lead to Judy? Maybe Richard Horne was not annihilated but merely transported. It would be ironic to see him ending up with Judy in Mr. C.'s place.
Nah, only because the other 2 sets of coordinate came from Jefferies and Ray (who we now know was working in some capacity with the FBI). So, it would make sense for those 2 to work in concert to lead Mr. C to his death. Of course, that is all super messy, too, since Ray could have simply told Cole and the FBI about Mr. C's whereabouts.

It basically turned out that ALL coordinates were a trap for Mr. C in one way or another.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

I think Brigg's coordinates lead to the entrance to the White Lodge, which, is simple except for the fact that I think there is something to putting the dirt in your pocket, almost like a secret knock, so that not anyone who shows up gets in. I'd guess anyone without the dirt arrives behind bars and depending on your intentions the fireman sends you back to earth somewhere. This could be an explanation for the numerous "abductions" that occur throughout the history of TP, and the more disturbing ones could account for folks accidentally wandering into the Black Lodge
I'm back in style!
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

Ross wrote: But if Briggs already knew where the White Lodge portal was (he left it for Bobby and the gang in the chair), why then did he need the (same) coordinated from Ruth?
Yeah, not following this, either. We are specifically told that Briggs had Ruth access a top secret military database to get coordinates for him (and on top of that, to meet him again to give them to him).

I guess we can chalk it up to time weirdness in the lodge, who knows. Maybe he sent himself the coordinates via radio waves or some sh*t and he (while alive) intercepted them in his station before he died.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

cgs027 wrote:
Ross wrote: But if Briggs already knew where the White Lodge portal was (he left it for Bobby and the gang in the chair), why then did he need the (same) coordinated from Ruth?
Yeah, not following this, either. We are specifically told that Briggs had Ruth access a top secret military database to get coordinates for him (and on top of that, to meet him again to give them to him).

I guess we can chalk it up to time weirdness in the lodge, who knows. Maybe he sent himself the coordinates via radio waves or some sh*t and he (while alive) intercepted them in his station before he died.
You know what? Works for me!! This actually makes sense, since Briggs had to have had a reason to hide that info for Bobby. He knew what to do because of messages from himself in the future Zone.
BHell
Roadhouse Member

Post by BHell »

Ross wrote:
BHell wrote:

But couldn't Briggs just GIVE her the coordinates? Instead of telling Ruth he needed her to get them?
I guess he could. But where would be the fun in that?

Admittedly, Briggs comes across as a straight-forward character.
But Lynch does not. If the latter wanted to transmit coordinates to us, he'd make us work for it.